Please Revamp 630 11/25/2014 11:55 AM CST
We all love our furry or feathered friends. They are our partners, our best friends, our soul mates. They're also mentally deficient, irritating and ineffective in most cases. Here are some companion problems:

- Random Messaging - Their random messages are infuriating. I just fed you! Stop staring hungrily at everyone and their mother 500 times a minute. Give us a bit more control like familiars or make them smarter and less annoying. Right now they're a terrible RP prop and should be never be brought into town if you can help it.

- Undying Loyalty - This attunement system for companions is a real waste. Either remove undying loyalty and make us keep our companions happy (and provide perks for doing so) or just remove thole whole repping up process.

- Companions Ego - Good job attacking that guy who knocked me over. Thanks for the assist but now is not the time to start your solo career. Any time a companion attacks it forgets to follow the ranger. Whether you tell it to attack or it does it automatically in response to you being knocked over once it attacks you have to tell it to RETURN in order to get it following you again. At which point they'll look at you like you're retarded because they're in the room with you and don't need to return.

- The Rift - Of course they won't follow you into the toughest area of the game so we lose what is supposed to be a combat perk if we choose to hunt there. Yay for making everything follow companion rules!

- It's A Sloth - I don't care if you have a cheetah for a companion. When it comes time to attack it's a sloth. I can finish a full hunt and cook myself a gourmet meal in the time it takes a companion to process one attack command and do it. Not that it matters because...

- They're blind! - My companion at cap is probably going to miss that attack anyways. Unless it's attacking because I'm incapacitated its probably going to do nothing.

Anyone else have any companion problems to add?

What I'd like to see added to make companions worth their spell slot:

- Tell companion to FOLLOW - After inputting this command a companion will follow you, no matter what. You leave a room it'll follow. Until you give it another movement related command it should stick to you like glue.

- Tell companion to ASSIST - The companion will attack your target and if you don't have a target will attack a random target in the room with you. This does not break FOLLOW.

- Tell companion to GUARD - The companion will prioritize attacking what attacks you. This does not break FOLLOW.

- Tell companion to SPECIAL - Perform their special attack, give it a cooldown.

- Speed it up - Companion attack speed should be improved to some reasonable level. It's not like these things are doing stupid amounts of damage.

- RP Fixes - Please do something with the companions ambient messaging. It's awful and makes me kinda hate my companion. Either remove it entirely and let us RP them like familiars or make it less repetitive and annoying.

Did I miss anything?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Please Revamp 630 11/25/2014 10:00 PM CST
Hmm.

I do find the companion follow speed is a bit slow. When is that relevant? When I get ambushed by bandits and I NEED HER. By the time she gets into the room and realizes I'm stunned/disabled? I'm out of trouble - or - I'm beyond saving.

I agree with the Rift. However, feel free to release a post cap forested hunting area near Wehnimer's Landing (that isn't undead) and I will be happy to never mention the Rift again.

I absolutely agree with the 'idle' messaging. I have gotten into the habit of TELL COMPAN TO CEASE whenever there is ANY RP event or NPC gathering, because the drooling and begging for food thing is .. not only disturbing and distracting.. it starts all these conversations about how I starve my companion. Please, in no fantasy world would my ranger (or most any others, I suspect) be starving their companion.

With all due respect, as intelligent and updated as the other companion things idle messaging is, I wouldn't mind this being looked at. Also, it seems that avians that are flying fire idle messaging at twice the speed and twice the annoyance factor. A flying avian should be twice as quiet, because it's literally flying way above all of our heads, whereas the other creatures are at least on the ground with the characters.

I love 630. Love it. It's a character defining spell, regardless of mechanical benefit. But the game has changed a lot in the years since the spell has been released, and while I am certain there are other DEV priorities, 630 could use a little tweaking.

Want a new idea?

I'm stunned or disabled and at less than 50% health - companion drags the ranger to the next room without a creature in it, then goes into guard/attack mode, instantly attacking anything hostile that comes into the room, at least until the stun/paralysis has ended. Even with costs/limitations, still would be awesome.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The Black Diamond Masquerade Ball: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Quests%60Sagas%60Events/Current%20and%20Upcoming%20Events/thread/1675348#