What is this? 09/07/2014 11:01 PM CDT
After a very long time, Piren is finally ready to look for her animal companion. Over the years, I thought she'd get this or get that (as I'm sure many of you think about, when it takes more than a year to level someone) and when I decided to have her seek one out, I thought she'd get a jaguar. But, alas, I thought I'd see what she and the Queen had to say, and she was lead to the temple in Zul to look for a companion. No jaguars. There is a really pretty feline though, that I might get. But I don't know what it is.

A yowler. It's clearly a feline. A site search brings up nothing. A google search brings up images of yowling housecats. Please tell me the coders didn't mean it's a housecat. There's no Krakki on it either. And incidentally, it's counterpart, the cheetah, doesn't have the description I've fallen in love with.

So I went on to look for a second-choice. A canine. He's cute, and she could like him. But - what's a bushwag? Again, clearly a canine, but this time not even google is helping me out. A big dog? a Chihuahua? Wolf or a coyote type maybe?

I even went so far as to summon both of these, hoping that when I LOOKed at them, I'd get a hint as to what they were. Nothing. So if someone could help me out with a possible description, size, or other helpful information that'd be great!

Otherwise... I may just make it up. That could be fun.

Piren
Re: What is this? 09/07/2014 11:27 PM CDT
I don't know, off the top of my head, what those are.

However, a LOOK won't help you. Try: DESCRIBE (creature) the next time you summon one.

I suspect someone will provide an answer here, tho.

Last but not least, good luck with your search for a new companion!

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: What is this? 09/08/2014 05:16 AM CDT

Cant answer your two questions but know how it feels to look for the right animal. Someone that put a lot of effort into this has made a good site for reference. Its not 100% accurate but good enough http://drfuturepast.com/GSIV/GECP/
Re: What is this? 09/08/2014 08:20 AM CDT
Unfortunately, I can't give you the answer you're looking for, but I can tell you (as you may have already guessed) that these were animals invented for the GSIV universe and that a GM will likely have to tell you what exactly they are.

What Bill suggested is also an option. When you summon a companion from the wild (but don't befriend it unless you're sure you want it), you will have a short period of time during which you can DESCRIBE the animal. This, however, will only give you a generalized description of the family/class/order of animal the companion belongs to (e.g. feline, canine, etc). It's still definitely worth a shot, regardless.

I can also tell you that no other ranger (from my own records) has a yowler as their companion, and only one (Mezmerize) has a bushwag. If you happen to know this person, you might be able to get some insight.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: What is this? 09/08/2014 02:04 PM CDT
Thanks Bill for the suggestion on the describe. I hadn't thought about that.

I've spent a lot of time on http://drfuturepast.com/GSIV/GECP/ and I appreciate the effort that's gone into making that. I kept my data from around Eorgina's Zul temple just in case it's different than other places (I think it is!) Going to test out the describe theory tonight and see if I can't get a handle on what this yowler cat is supposed to be..
Re: What is this? 09/13/2014 07:45 PM CDT

I looked up almost all of the companions years ago when I went looking for mine and I cannot now find those documents, but Looking and describe should tell you, just dont feed it or do anything to bond with it.

my simple memory says that the bushwag is like a dingo, and the yowler is some cat of lore never existed but told of in stories, something like a small bobcat crossed with a housecat that has a horrific sounding scream or yowl. I think I actually did find some drawings or something of an african cat that is wild and somewhat similar. you might try a search engine just for animals or zoology, anthropology etc. so it would filter out the more common things and get it down from millions of hits to a few hundred.
Re: What is this? 09/13/2014 08:17 PM CDT

yowler

... when i was growing up we had a female pet siamese cat ... not fixed

When you know what to listen for, finding it is easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoqrr-ToiI

yowler

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)