New companion types? 07/21/2014 06:15 AM CDT
My ranger is just about to get 630 finally and have been looking at different companion types. Silly question, but are there any plans to expand the types? What I'd really like is a bear! Will have to settle on something else for the time being I guess.
Re: New companion types? 07/21/2014 06:45 AM CDT
Some players requested bears as companions several years ago but they were told there were no plans to include them as companions. You will see a large variety of animal companions around but they will all boil down to a few basic types: Canine, Feline, Rodent and Avian. I have a feeling I'm missing one but for the life of me, I can't remember what it may be... though it certainly wasn't bears.

The bond a ranger develops with his companion is life-long. I wouldn't expect the developers to allow this bond to be broken if more types are released, so enter into any companion relationship expecting to not be able to choose a newer model if they're released.

~EC
Re: New companion types? 07/21/2014 06:48 AM CDT

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad about bears. I can't see what the rationale is to not allow bears.

In any case, there are AC reset potions available in the simu store so have that option available in the future if needed.

Now to find an alternative!
Re: New companion types? 07/21/2014 08:54 AM CDT
This is a good pretty good site to get an idea about animal companions. http://drfuturepast.com/GSIV/GECP/

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq
Re: New companion types? 07/21/2014 12:56 PM CDT

Very useful site. Thanks for the link!
Re: New companion types? 07/22/2014 10:16 PM CDT

I think the issue isn't really about bears themselves,just there a different genus then the original choices and I suspect the QC on allowing them would be stretching things. GS as a whole is very flexible but seems to be functioning now on parameters that are limited by the coding developed when there where 1000 people in game at a time not 600. However, if you buy a house you did used to be able to get a pet bear cub, it just isn't able to roam outside the house. Perhaps asking that that coding to be expanded to utilize companions is a slim glimmer of hope.
Re: New companion types? 07/23/2014 01:28 AM CDT

I believe the reason you cant get a bear is because there are bear typ critters IG and it messes with stuff. at least that is what I remember from a while back
Re: New companion types? 07/23/2014 02:07 AM CDT
There are dozens of creatures available as animal companions that exist as creatures you can hunt. Coyotes, wolves, vultures, dobrems, leopards, pumas, lions, rats, etc etc...

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: New companion types? 08/09/2014 08:10 PM CDT

Just as an FYI, during the simu live q and a with the gms at simucon, I think they said its not going to happen. no bears, no new companion types. the question was posed, and the feed was a bit choppy, but that was the take i got from it.
Re: New companion types? 08/12/2014 08:37 AM CDT

Thanks for the info. A bit disappointing however.