Animal Companion messaging 01/27/2014 11:55 PM CST
Since its been told over and over again that we wont get the updates we really want on companions to make them attack or other command faster...what about more RP messaging from them?

Since I keep the wolf companion around all the times I see the same messages all the time. While there are times I laugh when the companion messaging works out. What I would love to see though is messaging based on demeanor. The wolf growls hungry at close friends and enemies alike. I would love to see him beg for food on my closest friends and growl at others. I'm sure we can figure out a good list of messages. I just think it will add to RP since animals do tend to feed their emotions off others.

Pup's player
Re: Animal Companion messaging 01/28/2014 03:22 PM CST
<<<Since I keep the wolf companion around all the times I see the same messages all the time. While there are times I laugh when the companion messaging works out. What I would love to see though is messaging based on demeanor. The wolf growls hungry at close friends and enemies alike. I would love to see him beg for food on my closest friends and growl at others. I'm sure we can figure out a good list of messages. I just think it will add to RP since animals do tend to feed their emotions off others.>>>

I think tying companion messaging to demeanor is a great idea. Or give them their own demeanor, via the TELL command. Sometimes the random messaging seems far too aggressive.

~ GtG
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/02/2014 09:12 AM CST
>I think tying companion messaging to demeanor is a great idea. Or give them their own demeanor, via the TELL command. Sometimes the random messaging seems far too aggressive.--GtG

Or not aggressive enough.

I like AC-specific demeanor.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/04/2014 05:09 PM CST
<Since its been told over and over again that we wont get the updates we really want on companions to make them attack or other command faster...what about more RP messaging from them?>

Last time i tried to get a bit more clarification on that, which I have heard also many times, was...

The coding for Companions is very tricky and takes a great deal of work and effort, that even if there are gms who would like to see changes its not something easily accomplished. so.. I think that may span to all changes aside from very minor ones. I wish it didnt, but that is what has been expressed to me. However its been a couple years since I pinned someone down long enough to get in a few questions of specific nature.
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/05/2014 09:22 AM CST
>>What I would love to see though is messaging based on demeanor. The wolf growls hungry at close friends and enemies alike. I would love to see him beg for food on my closest friends and growl at others. I'm sure we can figure out a good list of messages. I just think it will add to RP since animals do tend to feed their emotions off others.

>>I think tying companion messaging to demeanor is a great idea. Or give them their own demeanor, via the TELL command. Sometimes the random messaging seems far too aggressive.

Come up with a list of messages. I'll see what I can do.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/09/2014 06:58 PM CST

I am working on a list, but do you want a list that is just demeanor related or one that includes all the different messaging?

For example all the big cats, and all the k9s randomly use the same messaging, should the list include things like, Bobcats dont really growl like lions, or panthers, or dropping some messaging like companions looking at there ranger as meal and growling, or another action that is super annoying to me is the ranger shuffles toward his companion..

or do you just want a list of how they can act strictly related to demeanor and by that is it just friend lists or race also?
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/09/2014 09:59 PM CST
>>I am working on a list, but do you want a list that is just demeanor related or one that includes all the different messaging?

Nothing nearly so precise or complete is necessary. I am just looking for inspiration in examples of messaging that rangers have been wanting their companions to be able to do instead of the stock messages. If you have a few pet phrases you particularly like, for specific demeanors and specific companion types, feel free to share without feeling like you must come up with something for every single scenario.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/10/2014 08:54 AM CST
I hate that my cougar is always trying to convince everyone I never feed him. So undignified. But I could see him tracking the movement of a leaf/small rodent/similar item as it makes its way through the area. Maybe even catching said small object and playing with it briefly. Hissing irritably or swatting at <so and so> for getting too close. Interacting with other PETS in the area - some of the demons and other things can see my companion and react to him, it'd be nice if he could see them (or familiars, or disks, or other companions) and have specific reactions to them. Not so thrilled with canine companions, likes scaring small rodent familiars, eyeing demons warily, and so on.

In addition to demeanor settings, I would also dearly dearly love to be able to intentionally trigger even just a couple of interactions between my companion and other people. TELL COMPANION TO HISS/GROWL AT <soandso that won't stop bugging him>. TELL COMPANION TO RUB/PURR <person who he likes because they feed him all the time>. Something to give us more control over companion personality instead of just hoping an appropriate idle message fires when we want it to.

So there's my random early morning thoughts, hopefully it'll get some creativity going! If I think of anything more specific once I'm more awake I'll be back.
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/10/2014 09:41 AM CST
I would love to have my ranger's kestrel be able to land on someone's shoulder and/or hand including her own for a brief moment. Naturally this would only be for warm/friendly/neutral demeanors, perhaps the alternative for those set on cold would be being buzzed.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/10/2014 12:54 PM CST
>> I hate that my cougar is always trying to convince everyone I never feed him.

This. It seems like I can feed my companion 100 pounds of food (literally) and yet 10 minutes later he's hungry again!

-- Robert
Re: Animal Companion messaging 02/17/2014 03:29 PM CST
>> This. It seems like I can feed my companion 100 pounds of food (literally) and yet 10 minutes later he's hungry again!

You got that right!!

I can put down 12 bowls of blackberries - or 15 handfuls of hazelnuts - and Miss Pearly White will gobble them all up, then look around almost immediately with that hungry look on her cute little face!

Maybe instead, after feeding, she could look satisfied, lick her paws, her lips....something!? And then not start salivating and drooling until at least a few hours later?

I also liked a previous suggestion that she could BEG for food from friends instead of drooling at them!

To KEIOS - thank you for taking some ideas...

Here are a few other rodent-ish suggestions:

COMPANION scratches at the ground, looking for a tender shoot. (dependent on terrain of course)

COMPANION wrinkles her nose, sniffing at something in the air.

COMPANION shuffles up to you and sniffs at your feet.

COMPANION hisses and arches her back, glancing around the area. Her quills rise and stand erect for a moment before folding close to her body again as she relaxes her vigilance.

How about GNAWing on something - a porcupine could gnaw on a twig or stick or a bone if offered one....or a canine could gnaw on a bone if one was available.

COMPANION grasps the twig in her forepaws and gnaws at it eagerly, her whiskers twitching with delight.

COMPANION gnaws hungrily on the bone, turning it end for end in an effort to find any shred of meat.

If you can add things to the TELL list....I would love to be able to TELL my companion to LAUGH at someone (do animals laugh?) - as: The LITTLE RODENT glances at NAME and falls on her back laughing uncontrollably.

AEL
Re: Animal Companion messaging 03/08/2014 12:18 PM CST
I would think it might be nice to also have the ability for a custom messages? I mean we have custom swears, nightmare, grooming, bard weapons blah blah.. If you are looking into fixing up messages and changing it with demeanor maybe fix it up to allow for us to win some of our own. Like personally I would love for my raccoon to jump on someone and try to check their pockets for goodies but that wouldn't make sense for another rodent. Then again I would also love for Captain Candy Coon to wear a forest green beret with a gold star on the front but I get rejected for that one!

Daemon Ranger