mstrike with returner weapon 01/20/2017 02:11 PM CST
What are the thoughts on implementing mstrike for thrown weapons? Obviously if you didn't have anything in your hands when the next attack would occur, nothing would happen. However, in the case where you have a returning weapon, it would be quite useful.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/22/2017 01:54 AM CST
"Obviously if you didn't have anything in your hands when the next attack would occur"

Not sure why that would be obvious, it would seem certainly fair to give hurlers the ability to throw a sequence of say daggers with one command so long as they have daggers available to throw in a set container.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/22/2017 07:06 PM CST
What I meant was when you hurl something, it doesn't come back into your hands so you wouldn't have the ability to throw again. However, maybe mstrike for hurling could indicate a container to pull items from and throw from?
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/22/2017 10:31 PM CST
Makes sense to me, particularly for the dagger example, or darts.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/22/2017 11:09 PM CST
Particularly with something like the "hold seven daggers" bandoliers...
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/23/2017 08:20 AM CST
>Particularly with something like the "hold seven daggers" bandoliers...

I think it came from the Dhu - but I could just be remembering wrong - multiple dagger holding spring loaded sheath. Those would be cool to use with mstrike if it worked with HURL. Maybe if a GM needed a side project, they may be able to track the item in question down and rig them to work with different types of throwing weapons???

-Drumpel
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/23/2017 09:12 AM CST
Also the Tinnoc boxes, which are spring-loaded.

I think the bandoliers have enough advantages already that including them in may be too much, but otherwise, yeah, the bandoliers, too.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/23/2017 10:40 AM CST
Should the thrown weapon review ever get tackled again, it would be something reviewed at that time. Digging into the code for changes like these would be far too difficult.

Over the years, players have suggested a lot of ideas. I know I did as a player. Like THROW [#] [thrown weapon noun].

Wyrom, PM
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/23/2017 06:42 PM CST
>Over the years, players have suggested a lot of ideas.

Clearly, hurlers need CMAN FASTBALL SPECIAL <target>.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/7/77/Dark_Reign_The_List_-_X-Men_Vol_1_1_page_14_Fastball_special_(Earth-616).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091219151122
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/24/2017 11:22 AM CST
Would it also be possible to remove the 1sec required roundtime addition for aimed hurls to be more inline with how Ranged works?? :D
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/24/2017 01:38 PM CST
But ranged also has +1 sec roundtime for aimed shots.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/24/2017 08:16 PM CST
You can remove the 1sec RT by having enough strength. You cannot do that with hurling.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/24/2017 10:58 PM CST
Not true, I just tested.

With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send an ivory-hilted iron short sword into flight.
>aim clear
You're now no longer aiming at anything in particular.
You throw an ivory-hilted iron short sword at a kobold!
AS: +514 vs DS: +14 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +74 = +610
... and hit for 148 points of damage!
The kobold is backed up by a strong slash to his abdomen!
The kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
The iron short sword ricochets away from a kobold, landing nearby.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>aim hea
You're now aiming at the head of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>hur
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send an ivory-hilted iron short sword into flight.
You throw an ivory-hilted iron short sword at a kobold!
AS: +514 vs DS: +27 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +15 = +538
... and hit for 131 points of damage!
Solid strike caves the kobold's skull in, resulting in instant death!
Momentum carries an ivory-hilted iron short sword past a kobold to land nearby.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 120 (50)
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/25/2017 03:14 PM CST
I haven't tried ranged, he stated it didn't? Will try it later today.

But I didn't see a 1 second add for aiming hurl in that example above. I do with melee and UAC.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/25/2017 04:37 PM CST
With hurling, there is 1 second added to RT when aiming, except when you are encumbered.

When encumbered, like Roblar was in the short log, you get an RT added that often appears to be buggy. It frequently skips around, bypassing numbers and jumping from say 5 to 7, or 8 to 10, but on the plus side, after you're encumbered enough to affect your RT, the amount added is usually, (but not always), the same whether you aim or not. I recommend avoiding being encumbered while hurling as much as you can, as the penalty is often more than it is for melee attacks. I can't speak for ranged.

Kerl
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/25/2017 05:09 PM CST
But I wasn't encumbered.

I just repeated the results without surge (so 40 bonus) and still not encumbered. Still hurling a short sword, still 5 seconds (both aimed and not).

This time I AIM CLEARed and manually added the target location in case it was something to do with the preset AIM.

I just tried ranged and same thing.

3 seconds with a longbow whether aimed or not.

>aim clear
>fire bow at kob
You nock a bone-tipped fir arrow in your hoarbeam long bow.
You fire a bone-tipped fir arrow at a kobold!
AS: +439 vs DS: +14 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +23 = +481
... and hit for 141 points of damage!
Well aimed strike shatters bone in left arm!
The bone-tipped fir arrow sticks in a kobold's left arm!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>aim head
You're now aiming at the head of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>fire bow at kob
You nock a bone-tipped fir arrow in your hoarbeam long bow.
You fire a bone-tipped fir arrow at a kobold!
AS: +439 vs DS: +14 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +25 = +483
... and hit for 149 points of damage!
Shot shatters shoulder and severs right arm!
The kobold's short sword falls to the ground.
The bone-tipped fir arrow sticks in a kobold's right arm!

I missed the head but also noticed the AIM verb messaging should mention hurling.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/25/2017 08:16 PM CST
Maybe I am wrong in the things that i've read and observed. With a strength bonus of 37, here is what I get.

>aim head
>
>stance off
>hurl
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send an acid-pitted vultite javelin into flight.
You throw an acid-pitted vultite javelin at a grey orc!
AS: +223 vs DS: +79 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +98 = +268
... and hit for 53 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
The grey orc is stunned!

Your vultite javelin soars rapidly through the air, the blade and shaft whooshing audibly with its speed. As it completes its flight, it bursts back toward you, its weight landing softly in your hands, your fingers curling around the middle of its shaft.

Roundtime: 4 sec.

>aim clear
>stance off
>hurl
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send an acid-pitted vultite javelin into flight.
You throw an acid-pitted vultite javelin at a grey orc!
AS: +223 vs DS: +75 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +14 = +188
... and hit for 29 points of damage!
Strike pierces upper arm!

Necrotic energy from your vultite javelin overflows into you!

You feel energized!

Your vultite javelin soars rapidly through the air, the blade and shaft whooshing audibly with its speed. As it completes its flight, it bursts back toward you, its weight landing softly in your hands, your fingers curling around the middle of its shaft.

Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/25/2017 09:23 PM CST
I tried with a javelin and did see a 1 second increase for aimed hurls.

I increased to a 60 strength bonus and still the addition. So weapon base related.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/26/2017 11:41 AM CST
Well that sounds buggy? Javelin is one of the few thrown specific weapons. If normal edged/blunt don't incur this penalty, could we get an update to thrown weapons to follow the same logic?
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/26/2017 01:39 PM CST
It's possible there's a penalty for throwing weapons that weren't meant to be thrown. I know there's a significant penalty in throwing large weapons.

By and large though, if you're throwing a weapon intended to be thrown, there is the standard 1 second penalty for aiming, until you get encumbered.

Kerl
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/26/2017 04:08 PM CST
So you get a 1 sec RT penalty for aiming a javelin, which is meant specifically to be thrown, and no penalty for aiming a handaxe that isn't specifically intended for it?
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/26/2017 04:21 PM CST
Yes but I just checked and a javelin swung looks like 5 seconds, so hurl is faster at 3 and aimed at 4.

A short sword swung is 4 sec rt and 5 sec hurled, aimed or not.

This is likely why, a penalty is already added for certain bases (penalty not added for thrown bases, handaxes, warhammers and some others).
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/26/2017 06:13 PM CST
<<So you get a 1 sec RT penalty for aiming a javelin, which is meant specifically to be thrown, and no penalty for aiming a handaxe that isn't specifically intended for it? -Kombat>>

No. Handaxes are part of the normal thrown weapons list. Everything gets a penalty for aiming, including handaxes.

Kerl
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 12:54 PM CST
Okay, maybe I am just being daft and missing something.

hurl short sword unaimed ... 5 seconds
hurl short sword aimed ... 5 seconds

hurl javelin unaimed ... 3 seconds
hurl javelin aimed ... 4 seconds

You're saying there is a penalty added to both?
I see that the short sword is slower, but there doesn't appear to be a penalty for aiming.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 01:58 PM CST
Not for aiming specifically, for hurling a weapon outside the favored ones. Since the end result is worse than other bases or even swinging it.

For other weapons (like javelin or handaxe), a 1 second addition for aiming but still much more favorable roundtime (aimed or not).

That's what I get from it anyway. Maybe it's just a bug!
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 02:03 PM CST
Yeah, I can see that it is favorable to hurl a javelin vs swinging it. Thanks for doing the research and putting up some numbers for confirmation.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 02:08 PM CST
I just assumed the rt didn't increase +1 on hurling a short sword for example (and likely several other bases) because there is some cap.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 02:48 PM CST
Yeah, it seems like aiming might raise the roundtime to the whatever the base RT value is ... which in the javelin case is 4 opposed to the MIN roundtime of 3. I'm not sure where the 5 comes from for the short sword as the MIN is 3 and BASE is 4.
Re: mstrike with returner weapon 01/27/2017 02:55 PM CST
Maybe you get an automatic +1 RT for throwing a non-throwing specific weapon?