Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/26/2016 12:48 PM CST
Hi everybody!

Bandages have received some significant updates! Roundtimes have been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced down to a maximum of 60 seconds (Although they are often shorter than this) and the skill required to bandage wounds has been smoothed out (heavily reduced in the worst cases). Bandages can now also now last a number of uses in combat based on the TENDer's (First Aid Ranks / 10).

- In the upcoming instances, "Wound Difficulty" is: 3 for the neck, 2 for abdomen/chest/head, and 1 for everything else.
- The formula for ranks required in First Aid to TEND to a wound has been changed to: ((3 * (Wound Severity - 2) + Wound Difficulty) * (Bleedlevel) * 2). Ranks in First Aid past this requirement reduce the roundtime of TENDing the wound by 1 second per rank. If the TENDer has less than this requirement, but at least half of it, they can apply a bandage that reduces the bleeding by 1/2 of the total amount.
- The formula for Roundtime induced by TENDing has been changed to: (15 + (2 * Bleedlevel) + (2 * (3 * (Severity - 2) + Difficulty))). This is capped at 60 seconds.

Some examples:
- A rank 2 right arm wound bleeding at 4 hp per round would require 8 ranks of First Aid to fully tend and impose 25 seconds of RT. At 4-7 ranks of First Aid the wound could be reduced to 2 per round. With 30 ranks of First Aid, the wound could be tended with 3 seconds of RT and the bandage would also last through 3 attacks before falling off.
- A rank 2 neck wound bleeding at 6 hp per round would require 36 ranks of First Aid to fully tend and impose 33 seconds of RT. At 18-35 ranks of First Aid the wound could be reduced to 3 per round. With 66 ranks of First Aid, the wound could be tended with 3 seconds of RT and the bandage would also last through 6 attacks before falling off.
- A rank 3 head wound bleeding at 8 hp per round would require 80 ranks of First Aid to fully tend and impose 41 seconds of RT. At 40-79 ranks of First Aid the wound could be reduced to 4 per round. With 118 ranks of First Aid, the wound could be tended with 3 seconds of RT and the bandage would also last through 11 attacks before falling off.

DIAGNOSE FULL has also been updated to be much easier to read and provide more detailed information about the details of TENDing the target's injuries. The skill requirements for DIAGNOSE FULL have also been lowered to simply require 100 skill bonus in First Aid. Also, at 150 skill bonus in First Aid, DIAGNOSE FULL only requires one full hand. At 200 ranks, DIAGNOSE FULL requires no free hands.

The HEALTH verb has received the same update as DIAGNOSE, so that when typing HEALTH you will know which of your own wounds you can TEND to and how long it will take to do so.

I know it's a lot to take in, so feel free to ask questions!

~ Konacon
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/26/2016 01:45 PM CST
Tend needed updating. This looks like a nice change.

Two issues I've seen:

(1) I saw two lines listing the same injury, one tended and the other not. Below are four health displays. For formatting purposes, I removed the horizontal line and allowed the extra spacing to disappear (see http://pastebin.com/GHjyUFVm for original formatting). The problem appears in the third and fourth health displays below.

First, after losing a left leg:
Area Health per Round Bandaged Can Tend? Tend Time
Left leg 3 No Yes 3s

Second, after tending the left leg:
Left leg 0 of 3 2507s

Third, after healing the left leg injury and scar and then losing a left arm:
Left arm 2 No Yes 3s
Left arm 0 of 3 2401s

Fourth, after tending the left arm:
Left arm 0 of 2 2507s
Left arm 0 of 3 2325s

(2) The second issue is that Unwrap does not work. Below is the output when I tried to Unwrap the left arm:
<< >unwrap my left arm
<< That area has no bandages on it.

I tried Unwrapping with and without "my," and the result was the same.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/26/2016 01:49 PM CST
Those issues should actually both be fixed now.

~ Konacon
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/26/2016 03:18 PM CST
Nice update, prolly not enough to train in FA any more then I already am on any of my characters, but it should make tending a much more viable alternative for my cleric then hard to find pourable herbs... and the DIAGNOSE changes will def be more helpful for both my empath and cleric.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/26/2016 05:11 PM CST
Loving these changes along with 206. Looking forward to diagnosing bleeding bodies and if all goes well even getting rid of some of the potions I carry for the nastier wounds. Thanks!

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/27/2016 05:33 AM CST
Looks good.

I preferred the healing stones (readily available in Mist Harbor so no need to carry) to pourable herbs if I needed to stop a body bleeding.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/27/2016 11:45 AM CST
I approve of these changes.

Ylandra
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/27/2016 11:56 AM CST
A+++++, would tend again!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/27/2016 12:26 PM CST
This is a little off topic, but it's something I've been wondering about for a while and can't really find a good answer. Do rank 1 scars have any mechanical impact? Are there any systems that take rank 1 scars into account? I never bother to heal them down since they crop up so frequently, but the possibility that they do something always nags at the back of my mind.

Good updates to TEND, etc., by the way.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/27/2016 12:52 PM CST
These changes are excellent. I support any and all updates that streamline mechanics and make them more transparent. I hope more are on their way!
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 04:34 AM CST
>This is a little off topic, but it's something I've been wondering about for a while and can't really find a good answer. Do rank 1 scars have any mechanical impact? Are there any systems that take rank 1 scars into account?

Rank 1 wounds can have a hidden effect when the obvious one doesn't kick in till Rank 2 (e.g. head wound effect on exp) so I don't exclude the possibility there are hidden effects in some systems though I've never found one though in those systems where I have researched it.

They do have cosmetic effects. If you lounge around in TSC covered in Rank 1 scars under your plate armor, people will ask for healing rather than support.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 11:26 AM CST
<Do rank 1 scars have any mechanical impact?>

I thought rank one scars on the hands or eyes would hinder picking locks and disarming traps, but upon double checking on the Wiki, it seems it's just wounds. The only other thing I can think might be affected would be hiding and staying hidden, but I'm fairly certain that only wounds hinder that as well.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 11:39 AM CST
There are so many hidden systems, all we have is guesswork. I'm hoping for an official statement.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 02:11 PM CST
Things can change, and it is possible for some system to take rank 1 scars into account, but I, personally, having looked through the code, would not worry about them (aside from looking good). I know that that's a little wishy-washy but I hope that it helps.

Ixix
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 02:17 PM CST
Thanks Ixix. I will continue to ignore them.

Droit

Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 02:59 PM CST
Chicks dig scars.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 04:59 PM CST
So the rumor about a head scar doesn't impact XP absorption?
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 06:05 PM CST
<So the rumor about a head scar doesn't impact XP absorption?>

I'm 99% sure that's just a rumor, only rank 2 or 3 head wounds effect XP absorption. It would be very easy to test for anyone that wished to though.

Starchitin

Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/28/2016 07:07 PM CST
Rank 1 scars to the head do not impact your absorption. If your experience absorption is being affected, you'll see this:

Your ability to reflect on your recent experiences is hindered by your injuries.

As well.

Ixix
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/29/2016 08:34 AM CST
>Rank 1 scars to the head do not impact your absorption. If your experience absorption is being affected, you'll see this:

>Your ability to reflect on your recent experiences is hindered by your injuries.

Rank 1 head wounds (but not scars) are buggy if this is the case. They affect exp but they do not give the message.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/29/2016 09:30 AM CST
Argh - I misread that originally, so if anybody saw those previous versions of this post - you weren't imagining things.

Can you drop a BUG report in for that, please, and we'll look into it further?

Ixix
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/30/2016 06:35 AM CST
These updates look really nice! As Starchitin said, I'm not sure it will change the first aid training on my characters, though most of them have some training. It will, however, bring some nice benefits for the characters I have that already train the skill. The extremely long RTs were just plain annoying.

My favorite thing was being stuck in 2 minutes of roundtime tending a corpse that was dragged out of the room. The lack of realism was kind of unsettling. Has anything been done to address this with the new changes, besides the overall reduced RTs? It's not a serious issue but it's rather quaint.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/30/2016 11:51 AM CST
Rank 1 wounds should no longer impose a penalty on your experience absorption. If you don't see the warning message, you shouldn't have any penalties now.

Ixix
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 01/30/2016 02:38 PM CST
.~~* <3 Ixix <3 *~~.
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 02/01/2016 07:08 AM CST
>>Also, at 150 skill bonus in First Aid, DIAGNOSE FULL only requires one full hand. At 200 ranks, DIAGNOSE FULL requires no free hands.<<

Am I understanding these thresholds correctly?

150 skill bonus, or 50 ranks is required for diagnose full to work with one hand empty

300 skill bonus, or 200 ranks is required for diagnose full to work with no hands empty

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Tend and Diagnose and Health updates, oh my! 02/01/2016 08:55 AM CST
> 300 skill bonus, or 200 ranks is required for diagnose full to work with no hands empty

You did read it right, but it is 200 skill bonus/100 ranks. The wiki does have the correct information (150 skill bonus/200 skill bonus).

~ Konacon