Open MSTRIKE with insufficient targets...high RT! 02/11/2015 03:35 AM CST
Was wondering with the super awesome tweaks and quality of life hacks from GM Estild and GM Keios lately if this is another one that might qualify. My character only has 5 ranks of Multi-Opponent Combat, so I'm not sure how this might work at higher skill levels (perhaps it's the same...or it could be even more RT). Anyway, the idea is just that, if you happen to mstrike right as a creature leaves the room (or dies by some other means), you get the RT and Cooldown for mstrike as though you had two targets, when there was only one.

I'm not sure to what extent this is working as designed vs. what the player probably wanted to actually do (which would be to ATTACK/KILL and not open MSTRIKE with one opponent). I can see the perspective that the player should just be more careful, but sometimes with a crowd, suppose I use Judgment (1630) and promptly mstrike, yet my 1630 killed two of the targets leaving one remaining. I can read but, I like to act fast for swarms. Or I did have two targets when I typed the command, but one wandered off before my attack is performed. Naturally, there is also the unknown factor of how difficult it is to fix on the back end, regardless of the design/intent. Here are the log clips, just to demonstrate the point under discussion.

Normal case, two creatures, 7 seconds

>mstrike
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
With instinctive motions, you weave to and fro striking with deliberate and unrelenting fury!
You swing a perfect steel flail at a necrotic snake!
AS: +348 vs DS: +217 with AvD: +45 + d100 roll: +15 = +191
... and hit for 86 points of damage!
Brain driven into neck by mammoth downswing!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the necrotic snake's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
A necrotic snake's tail trembles then falls to the ground as the rest of its body goes limp.
You swing a perfect steel flail at a gaunt spectral servant!
AS: +348 vs DS: +201 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +30 = +220
... and hit for 123 points of damage!
Massive blow obliterates the right knee.
The spectral servant falters as a sickly light flows freely down its leg.
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from a gaunt spectral servant, writhes its way up a perfect oak-handled steel flail towards you and lashes out malevolently...
CS: +223 - TD: +211 + CvA: -21 + d100: +16 - +20 == -13
Warded off!
Your flurry of strikes leaves you off-balance and out of position.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
[ MStrike Cooldown: +0:01:00, 0:00:59 remaining. ]

"Failed" mstrike, because there's only one creature in the room, 7 seconds and cooldown penalty:

>mstrike
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
With instinctive motions, you weave to and fro striking with deliberate and unrelenting fury!
You swing a perfect steel flail at a rotting chimera!
AS: +348 vs DS: +228 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +92 = +255
... and hit for 114 points of damage!
Lucky shot rips through bone and muscle sending right leg flying.
The rotting chimera buckles under its mangled right hind leg and falls over!
The rotting chimera is stunned!
Your flurry of strikes leaves you off-balance and out of position.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
[ MStrike Cooldown: +0:01:00, 0:00:59 remaining. ]

Normal attack at 5 seconds (with bonus of three flares, yay!):

>kill
You swing a perfect steel flail at a gaunt spectral servant!
AS: +348 vs DS: +233 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +82 = +240
... and hit for 111 points of damage!
Strong smash to the left hand!
The spectral servant quails and sinks momentarily as its left hand reforms before your eyes.
The spectral servant is stunned!
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from a gaunt spectral servant, writhes its way up a perfect oak-handled steel flail towards you and lashes out malevolently...
CS: +214 - TD: +211 + CvA: -21 + d100: +61 - +20 == +23
Warded off!
Necrotic energy from your steel flail overflows into you!
You feel energized!
Your steel flail pulses with a burst of plasma energy!
... 25 points of damage!
Strong attack rips through the neck!
To your horror, the spectral servant's substance flows around the wound without leaving a trace!
Your steel flail sprays with a burst of plasma energy!
... 25 points of damage!
Good hit!
Right shoulder is ripped from its socket, then wriggles back into place.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

I'd be particularly interested to know if the RT goes up with more MOC training. An extra 2 seconds when there's now not enough targets isn't a really big deal, but it's a minor annoyance for the cooldown.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Open MSTRIKE with insufficient targets...high RT! 02/11/2015 04:44 AM CST
Hey used to be worse!

Using the verb with nothing in the room (they left or all died) would cost you rt and cooldown or stamina when that later created, I forget.

Also, the mstrike rt will cap out at some point, depending on weapon base.
Re: Open MSTRIKE with insufficient targets...high RT! 02/11/2015 06:32 AM CST
>Using the verb with nothing in the room (they left or all died) would cost you rt and cooldown or stamina when that later created, I forget.

Not sure if I've actually tried that...

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!