Skill bonus 01/15/2015 05:31 AM CST
So I'm working on putting together a spreadsheet for my characters to assist me in determining what to train in as I level up (yes, I'm aware there's already a great one out there, but I'm learning Excel and figured this would be a good way to practice). I got to the section where I enter in my skills and wanted to make the spreadsheet automatically calculate the skill bonus off skill ranks, but I can't find anything more then a section on the officials saying it starts as +5 per ranks and eventually goes down to +1 per rank (oddly, skill bonuses aren't mentioned on the Skills page for Krakii at all and don't have their own page that I can find).

I know that eventually the skill bonus equals the number of ranks +100, but that doesn't help me with the lower number of ranks. Does anyone know the ranges for +5, +4, etc?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Skill bonus 01/15/2015 07:35 AM CST
10 of each so 10, 20, 30, 40 = 50,90,120,140
Re: Skill bonus 01/15/2015 08:11 AM CST
I always did it as nested @if statements:
- if #rankcell >=40, then skillcell = #rankcell+100
- if #rankcell >30, then skillcell = 120 + ((#rankcell-30)*2)
- if #rankcell >20, then skillcell = 90 + ((#rankcell-30)*3)
- if #rankcell >10, then skillcell = 50 + ((#rankcell-30)*4)
- otherwise, skillcell = #rankcell*5

Just make sure you're closing the correct set of parentheses, and you'll be fine.
Re: Skill bonus 01/15/2015 12:46 PM CST
Thanks for the quick replies, if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll add a small section to the skills page on Krakii when I get off work.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Skill bonus 01/15/2015 12:49 PM CST
You are welcome to pull whatever you need from the current spreadsheet as well. Honestly I am not talented enough to update it for Excel 2013.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Skill bonus 01/15/2015 08:41 PM CST
<<You are welcome to pull whatever you need from the current spreadsheet as well. Honestly I am not talented enough to update it for Excel 2013.>>

Thanks, would kind of defeat the purpose of doing this if I just copied code, though (trying to practice Excel and using GS4 to keep myself interested). Also, I'm working in the 2010 version, though that might be an update anyway, depending on when it was last updated. I'm fairly certain the one I have was downloaded pre 2010....

Starchitin

Re: Skill bonus 01/16/2015 07:26 AM CST
I was more thinking of digging through for formulas for things rather than the code. Either way good luck on your project.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Skill bonus 01/16/2015 07:40 AM CST
<<I was more thinking of digging through for formulas for things rather than the code.>>

Ah...heh. Oops. There is that :P

Starchitin

Re: Skill bonus 01/21/2015 02:07 AM CST
As far as putting it on the wiki that shall not be named...

I always just thought about it like this:

The first ten ranks(1-10)+5 each
The next ten ranks(11-20)+4 each
The next ten ranks(21-30)+3 each
The next ten ranks(31-40)+2 each
All the other ranks(41+)+1 each

That approach is no where near as nice for a quick calculation like the formulae above, but as far as an intuitive table for looking at, perhaps the most clear visualization.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Skill bonus 01/24/2015 07:34 PM CST
<<I always just thought about it like this:>>

I actually discovered the "Rank" page when I went to add the info to the wiki (which I hadn't noticed before) and it has it listed in a nearly identical fashion, so I didn't edit the page... though I did just go back and add a link under "See Also" to make the page easier to find.

Starchitin