foraging 12/30/2011 01:44 PM CST
Can someone explain this skill for me. does perception figure into this? My lvl 23 empath has x1 survival and 10 ranks in perception and has a tough time digging stuff up. My ranger who has 10 ranks in survival and perception can dig up stuff much easier then my empath.

seems to me this skill could use some loving considering the amount of foraging you have to do for alchemy.
Re: foraging 12/30/2011 03:13 PM CST
Among other things, different professions get different bonuses. I'ts been a long time since I read this stuff, but if I recall, rangers are among the best, and sorcerers among the worst at this skill; empaths are fairly good at it, I think. I don't believe survival enters into the equation; that skill affects skinning mainly, and resistance to cold.

Perception yes; try to get 1x in that for now. There may be a threshold for this, and character level may play a part; this I cannot comment on with certainty. But, speaking anecdotally, my empath forages well despite having only 30 ranks of perception, but she is 95 trains.
Re: foraging 12/30/2011 03:30 PM CST

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/skills.asp#survival

Survival
This skill represents a character's ability to survive in the wilderness. Success in performing actions such as foraging for edible or medicinal herbs, finding certain hidden passageways, building a fire, or skinning an animal is affected by this skill. When skinning an animal, one rank of the Survival skill is equal to one rank of the First Aid skill when factoring success. Training in the Survival skill also assists in moving through rough, treacherous, or otherwise cumbersome terrain, as well as avoiding some natural hazards.

Perception
First and foremost, the Perception skill affects how much information your character is able to gather from the surroundings. Watching or searching an area, room, object or being can reveal important features that you can use to your advantage.
Re: foraging 01/01/2012 05:49 PM CST

"Skill in foraging is determined by ranks in Survival, Perception, character profession, and level. Kneeling, having both hands available, wounds, scars, and using the spell, Foraging (603) also increases the chances of successfully foraging. Some plants are harder to find than others and will therefore require a higher roll to find. "

As was mentioned, Empaths are pretty good at Foraging. Just make sure you're not covered in scars when you try it.

---Mirrami
Re: foraging 01/03/2012 03:21 PM CST
Yeah I read the Krakiipedia stuff and stuff on the website. The open roll system is really confusing to me. I roll a d100 but sometimes get over 100 and sometimes get WAY under 100. Some plants seems much easier to dig up then others (what determines that?) Like I seem to dig up acantha leaf almost every search. It seems each training the threshold number to dig up the herb drops but there seems to be something that increases the numbers on the roll because with acantha leaf the numbers are typically pretty high on the actual die roll.

What I hate is that most times you have to have the correct spelling for the herb you're looking for. If you don't type it correctly then it seems to make a roll without some type of modifier and you don't get the "herb isn't here" message until you get over a hundred or so. Which can be difficult to get without the addition of the modifier.

Anybody know if brightening the room with 205 helps? Seems it should but haven't noticed much of a difference.

Wish there was a way to see what type of herbs are in the room. I use the two visual foraging guides but the seem to not be very accurate in and around Vaalor. Sometimes i feel like I'm fishing in the dark and not even sure if my line is hitting water.
Re: foraging 01/05/2012 02:48 PM CST
<<I roll a d100 but sometimes get over 100 and sometimes get WAY under 100>>

There's a few systems in the game that use open rolls, and a few different ways they work.

Lockpicking:
Start with a regular d100. If you roll a 100, roll again and sum up your rolls for your final number.

CMANs:
Start with a regular 100. If you roll 96+ (maybe 95+ but I think 96), roll again, sum them up. Keep going if you keep rolling high enough. Or, if you roll 5 or lower, roll again and subtract that from your roll. I'm not sure what happens after that - I think if you roll high enough on your second roll, it'll keep adding up like a positive roll, and then subtract the sum of all those rolls past the first one for your final, negative CMAN d100 number.

I think foraging works the same way as cmans.

I don't know if you can go up and down on the same roll (or down and up, depending on which you did first). That's pretty hard to tell - 100 + 50 - 75 is really unlikely but will be indistinguishable from just rolling a 75 the first time.

<<Some plants seems much easier to dig up then others (what determines that?)>>

Plants each have a base difficulty, and then there's a bunch of modifiers for stuff like wounds, scars probably, spells, your position, empty hands, how recently you've foraged in that room. I'd bet your impression of seeing higher numbers on the acantha attempts are an illusion, and the d100 distribution is the same for all plants. That's a semi-edjukated guess though.

-Keleborrn.
Re: foraging 01/05/2012 11:17 PM CST
You're right I think my base to dig up acantha leaf is dropping making it easier to roll over that number.

Thanks for explaining the open roll system. That makes more sense.
Re: foraging 01/07/2012 10:41 AM CST
This is how I think it works.

Roll a d100, add bonuses, subtract difficulty, and the result is over 100 you find the herb. The main trouble in working out what is going on is that the endroll is hidden, so unless you roll a 64 and fail and then a 65 and succeed, you don't know whether you just missed or found it easily.

You get bonuses for kneeling and having both hands open and having the foraging spell running. Some herbs have higher difficulty than others (the more difficult they are the higher the AG reward on them). Each time a herb is found the difficulty goes up (by 2, so if 65 just found it, you need 67 for the next one). Room conditions (light,dark,fog) don't matter.

Professions get both a straight modifier, and different factors for their and perception skills e.g. for a ranger it might be +10+(S+P)/4, an empath +5+(S+P)/6 and a sorcerer -10+(S+P)/20.
Re: foraging 01/07/2012 11:01 AM CST
Room conditions (light,dark,fog) don't matter.

Are you sure about that, because I am somewhat convinced that it does matter.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: foraging 01/07/2012 04:38 PM CST
I should clarify: I have found that casting 205 (Light) seems to make it easier to find herbs in a room. This may be the same as, or different from, the environmental light effects in a room.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: foraging 01/07/2012 09:38 PM CST

I have looked for, and failed to find, any effect from casting 205. I don't have proof that it is actually 0 and could easily have missed a small bonus.
Re: foraging 01/09/2012 09:59 AM CST
Are there any herbs that can only be found at night or day? I know there's some in the rift that can only be found when the room is in the right mode.

-Keleborrn.
Re: foraging 01/09/2012 01:59 PM CST
>>Are there any herbs that can only be found at night or day? I know there's some in the rift that can only be found when the room is in the right mode.

Yes, there are at least a few time-of-day specific foragables. I want to say moongazer (or somesuch) lillies and a variety or two of mushrooms were among them.