Climbing and swimming 12/21/2011 10:01 PM CST
So what is the most of each someone would need to easily access all of the world without any failures?

Would it be good if that for skills like these there is a hard cap placed on training them so that people don't wind up feeding points into skills that after a certain point have no use?
Re: Climbing and swimming 12/22/2011 12:37 AM CST
So what is the most of each someone would need to easily access all of the world without any failures?

Would it be good if that for skills like these there is a hard cap placed on training them so that people don't wind up feeding points into skills that after a certain point have no use?

While there is some level of diminishing return, these skills have a use up to the max you are allowed to train them. The more you train, the more you can offset armor penalties and encumberance penalties for climb and swim rolls for example. Another example is that swimming training helps improve your chance to defend against the executioner drowning maneuver.

I think both of these skills also contribute peripherally towards redux or some other physical ability.

-- Robert aka Faulkil
Re: Climbing and swimming 12/22/2011 10:52 AM CST
40 to 50 ranks of climbing and 70 of swimming would be a decent place to end up.

>>I think both of these skills also contribute peripherally towards redux or some other physical ability.<<

If I recall, these skills did something back in GS3, but this is not currently the case.
Re: Climbing and swimming 12/22/2011 12:35 PM CST
It depends on where you want to go. Probably the only place you need 70 ranks of swimming is Nelemar, whereas, as a rift hunter you will want more climbing skill if you are hunting a plane where you have to climb the thread to exit, and are encumbered when you leave.

Kerl
Re: Climbing and swimming 12/22/2011 03:29 PM CST

Having 100 ranks of Swimming kept me from drowning in the OTF pool a couple of times when I forgot I was carrying a million coins.
Re: Climbing and swimming 12/22/2011 06:21 PM CST
>>when I forgot I was carrying a million coins.<<

Ummm .... duuh! Good thing you didn't get knocked down by something!