Alternate Armor Names 08/04/2015 06:43 PM CDT
While reading something on the GS-Wiki I came across a page written by Eklinaar's player concerning newbie starting gear (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Newbie_gear_(saved_post)). It's pretty cool that someone put that together. Thanks!

I noticed that some of the newbie starting armor had some interesting alternative names such as vest, doublet, and waistcoat. I went to Playershops 4.0 (https://ps.lichproject.org/) and looked at each armor type and collected all the different names used for each armor type. Below is a table of what I found.

I make no claim that these are all approved alternatives just that this is what I have found on Eklinaar's research and Playershops 4.0.

In most cases the adjective of the armor is NOT required. For example full leather does not always need the word full if the item is "leather" but studded leather always has "studded leather" as the item.

Robes Kittel
Robe
Robes
Vestiment
Light Leather Armor
Leather
Leathers
Tunic
Vest
Waistcoat
Full Leather Armor
Body-leather
Buff-coat
Coat
Doublet
Gambeson
Gipon
Jerkin
Leathers
Leathers
Reinforced leather Armor
Leather
Leathers
Double Leather Armor
Bodysuit
Hunts
Leather
Leathers
Leather Breastplate Breastplate
Cuirbouilli Leather Armor
Corselet
Cuirbouilli
Leather
Scalemail
Studded Leather Studded Leather
Studded Leathers
Brigandine Armor
Brigandine
Coat-of-plates
Protector
Scale Mail
Chain Mail Armor
Mail
Shirt
Double Chain Chain
Jacket
Mail
Shirt
Augmented Chain Armor
Chain
Chainmail
Chain Hauberk Ballista
Hauberk
Metal Breastplate Armor
Breastplate
Corselet
Cuirass
Ribcage
Augmented Breastplate Augmented Breastplate
Coracia
Corselet
Half Plate Half Plate
Plate Armor
Full Plate Armor
Plate
Platemail

Chad, player of a few
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/04/2015 06:48 PM CDT
"Plate and mail" is also allowed for full plate.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/04/2015 07:40 PM CDT
Field-plate has been used for full plate. Other generic ones like battle armor too.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/04/2015 09:57 PM CDT
This is awesome, you should put it on the wiki so your work is saved (even though it is not official).
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/04/2015 11:36 PM CDT
I have also seen corselet for chainmail and jazerant for hauberk.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 08:40 AM CDT
I have a lovely set of pour-point (altered full leathers) made recently.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 08:45 AM CDT
I would think that there would be an "i" in 'jazeraint'.

And I'm totally thrilled to see 'gipon' in there!
However, if that is allowed, then I would think that both 'jupon' and 'jupe' would be allowed, as they are variants of the same noun.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 08:49 AM CDT
There was, in the late 90s, something like "a red thrak hide sweater" which was half-plate.

I kind of wanted to find that again, but my hopes have approached zero, and the character I would want it for now has godly plate armor in any case.

...not that it's a legal alteration...

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 08:51 AM CDT
One of the items that I lusted after from The Strom Collection (TM) was his ruby ring.

Altered full plate.

Yes. As a ring.

Worn on the torso. They just changed the noun.

Yup. Totally.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 10:46 AM CDT
Since folk are adding to the list, my little gnome wears "a studded-copper leather gnome-sized jack" that was sold at EG a year or two after gnomes were introduced as a race. Inspects as brig.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 12:50 PM CDT
>>I would think that there would be an "i" in 'jazeraint'.

Or maybe that, it was buried pretty far back in my head. :)
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/05/2015 01:11 PM CDT

>jazeraint'

hmm, that gives me an idea for a jazz hands feature alteration
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/06/2015 01:01 PM CDT
This is awesome, you should put it on the wiki so your work is saved (even though it is not official).
VERSIN

Well, for what it's worth, I attempted a Wiki entry. Please, anyone who is more wiki savvy, add links and spruce it up visually. Pretty please?

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_Alternatives

Good gosh is formatting a table a time munching son of a you know what! In any case the real work was done by Eklinaar and whoever put together Playershops 4.0. All I did was collect information from them.

Thank you for saying it's awesome though. It is kinda cool.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/06/2015 02:28 PM CDT
Good job posting that!

I find it interesting that "scalemail" is AsG10 while "scale mail" is AsG12. Also that "shirt" is allowed for both AsGs13&14 (although one is torso and the other is torso+arms, so I guess...). I would think that 'vest' would be suitable for AsG13/torso only.

And I added 'haubergeon' to your AsG16/hauberk listing, since we've seen that at merchants. I find the Dictionary.Com listing interesting, in that the two definitions it gives are "short sleeveless coat of mail" (so, AsG13...) and "hauberk" (so long, mid-thigh covering AsG16). Uh-huh.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/06/2015 05:22 PM CDT

what happened to the pieces of the knoll armor?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/07/2015 02:05 PM CDT
I tinkered with the wiki page a bit. Hopefully it is easier to read and edit without messing with table formatting.

"Scalemail" is one of those RPG neologisms that don't really make sense since scale armor and mail armor are completely different things. It's a nice-looking word though.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/07/2015 02:22 PM CDT
I really like the re-write you did of the chart. I agree, that's a whole lot more legible. :)

About the only thing that I might consider adding at this point is an 'armor group' column down the left side, and a 'Torso | Torso + Arms | Torso + Arms + Legs | Head-to-Toe' row across the top.
Sure, we experienced players know which is what. New folks don't, always.
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/07/2015 05:23 PM CDT

looks great
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/08/2015 01:46 AM CDT
Much improved. Looks great. Thank you, community.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Alternate Armor Names 08/10/2015 06:25 PM CDT
We have a release for this during HSN.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean