Aventail and spell hindrance 07/28/2015 03:04 PM CDT
SO! I found this great aventail and lovely set of greaves in Duskruin. I was super excited to try the aventail because I thought--hey I can't wear a helm because I use too many songs but an aventail shouldn't increase my hindrance the way a helm does! (Stormy is wearing chainmail and is fully over-trained for it with 90 ranks of armor)..So I put it on, so happy! I go to the arena, get my first opponent, go to sing---and no.

60% hinderance.

Is this intentional? SHOULD an anventail have the same spell hindrance as a helm? I don't think it should...

Help?

~Nichoel, the Muse.

Nature of rebellion, means to an end. Sometimes men are tempted by money and power and they forget what end they're serving. ~Brendan Roarke, SOA Irish King

AIM: LdyStrmyRn
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/28/2015 03:12 PM CDT
Aventail covers the neck, which has always been the same penalties as a helm.

Note that the coverage is not the same--your head and eyes are not covered by an aventail--which is why the greathelms that cover both head+neck were so coveted: when you only have twenty (20) inventory slots available, and armor/weapon/shield/backpack are four (4) of them, if you want head coverage you want head+neck right away, too.
(Nowadays, this is less of an issue.)
(However, the mechanics of aventails remain unchanged.)
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/28/2015 04:40 PM CDT
I hear you Krakii, I just feel that this should be given a once over because it makes little sense.

Something around my bard's neck should not prohibit her from singing the same way something that covers her head/eyes does.

Ultimately, I'll sell it if she can't use it but I would love to be able to use it!

~Nichoel, the Muse.

Nature of rebellion, means to an end. Sometimes men are tempted by money and power and they forget what end they're serving. ~Brendan Roarke, SOA Irish King

AIM: LdyStrmyRn
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/29/2015 01:40 AM CDT
You vocal chords are being strangled?

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/29/2015 03:15 AM CDT
It's highly unlikely that this mechanic will ever be changed. If it's a good enough item, consider going back to brigandine. Since that armor is full body coverage, the aventail won't affect any sort of hindrance. My rogue did something similar; she remains in hauberk despite having enough armor training for MBP, simply to be able to use her enhancive aventail. Adding the aventail to MBP would result in hindrance equivalent to plate mail, which she does NOT yet have the training to use.

Pick up some FGB and it will protect as well as or better than plain chainmail, except vs warding spells.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/29/2015 05:46 AM CDT
>60% hinderance.

This is a consequence of insufficient training. Fully trained it would be 15% which I'd have thought a bard could readily cope with given how much less hindrance actually affects the bard circle. I doubt you'd want the training pre cap, but I don't see why a bard wouldn't go to AsG 16 post cap.

The GS armor system isn't sophisticated enough to distinguish between penalties for neck and head. Neck is part of AsG 16 and so if you cover the neck you get bumped from AsG 15 penalties to AsG 16 penalties, just like you get bumped from 13 to 16 for wearing a helm on chainmail even leaving arms, legs and neck uncovered.
Re: Aventail and spell hindrance 07/29/2015 03:01 PM CDT

>>but I don't see why a bard wouldn't go to AsG 16 post cap.

Well, 190 armor ranks is a decent chunk. I think I've only heard Archales say he went with hauberk at some point and that was fairly recently I think. We might just be so used to augmented chain after having it for ~75 levels we don't know there is anything beyond that point.