Armor Additions 09/16/2013 12:08 AM CDT
Just like helms, aventails, arm and leg greaves help protect coverage of their respective areas it would be interesting and advantageous to have gauntlets and sabatans that also protected their respected places.

Food for thought.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Armor Additions 09/16/2013 08:27 AM CDT
I'm still holding out for the heavily crit padded dark tinted shades. :p

-- Robert
Re: Armor Additions 09/16/2013 10:49 AM CDT
I wear plate with impact resistant leg greaves that I can see actively diminishing leg injuries so thats where I got the idea that it would be interesting for there to be armor pieces that protect the hands mainly. Then the foot thing is just cosmetic.

I do have a pair of boots that defaults to the armor stand when I put them in my locker but there are no feet to injure so they would not add anything.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Armor Additions 09/16/2013 06:39 PM CDT
<<<I'm still holding out for the heavily crit padded dark tinted shades. :p>>>

Would those be something along the lines of Peril Sensitive Sunglasses? Because that would be cool...

>w
As you walk into the next area, your Peril Sensitive Sunglasses suddenly go pitch black! You can't see a thing...which is probably all for the best.
>panic
You try, but your Peril Sensitive Sunglasses are dutifully protecting you from any frightening images that might cause you undue (or, in this case, very, extremely due) stress. Relax, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.
>look
You see only the comforting blackness afforded by your Peril Sensitive Sunglasses. Nothing to see here!
>remove my sunglasses
Um, no. I don't think that's a very good idea at this juncture.
>remove my sunglasses
Seriously, you don't want to know. How about a nice hot cup of tea?
>remove my sunglasses
Okay, if you insist...

[Dung Pit, Deep End]
You are knee deep in dung, and sinking deeper by the second.
You also see a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a towel, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, a ravenous bugblatter beast, and an ancient grizzled ravenous bugblatter beast.
Obvious exits: none

>wear my sunglasses
You wisely put on your Peril Sensitive Sunglasses. The lenses instantly turn pitch black, providing you the comfort and confidence of knowing that whatever imminent demise may be in store for you, you'll never see it coming. Bravo.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Armor Additions 09/16/2013 06:42 PM CDT
Hahaha. Fun times!

-- Robert
Re: Armor Additions 09/16/2013 11:34 PM CDT
Meh, I'm waiting for my chance at a magical g-string of protection against mosquitoes and undead.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Armor Additions 09/17/2013 12:01 AM CDT
<<<Meh, I'm waiting for my chance at a magical g-string of protection against mosquitoes and undead.>>>

See: Plur's diaper [of DOOM].

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Armor Additions 09/17/2013 11:39 AM CDT
A roaring ball of fire streaks through the air and strikes you!

Some asbestos arm greaves partially deflect the onslaught of the fiery attack.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right hand fries palm. Ouch!

Arm greaves will also cover your hands. Foot armor is not necessary, as "feet" are not a location that can be injured. Additionally, with the new UAC gear being a mainstay for many hand/feet locations, having to choose between wearing armor there or a piece of UAC gear would not be desirable.

There are two systems at play here, the very core Combat Mechanics which include locations that can be injured, and the Wearable system, which includes lots of locations which occasionally match those Combat Mechanics locations and sometimes do not (hands, feet, ears, etc.)

What this means, in practical terms, is that the execution is sometimes slightly clunky when it comes to, "yeah, armored boots would be neat," because there is very little interest in going in and revising core Combat Mechanics. As we're built so heavily on torso/arm/leg/head coverage, further fragmenting that would be, to put it mildly, problematic at best.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Armor Additions 09/17/2013 02:00 PM CDT
Thanks for the clarification, Tamuz. Was just reading more about accessories at play.net that also helped. Reading more at Krakiipedia.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Armor Additions 09/17/2013 02:45 PM CDT
So if I am interpreting this correctly, a padded helm which protects the head and neck DOES provide coverage for the eyes as well? For some reason I was under the impression that it did not.

-- Robert