Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 03:24 PM CDT
(Just un-Ignored this Topic, so my apologies if these are answered elsewhere.)

So someone said something over in one of the 'Discussions' topics and reminded me of Alchemy results (other than 'frustrated people'), so I read the GSWiki page for it.

Talk to me about 'mana' potions, specifically the 'greater mana well' and 'greater mana regen' potions.
How long do these take for you folks to do?
What do they typically sell for?
Does anyone typically stock them on a continuing basis?

With the stat-increasing potions, how long do they typically last? Also 30 minutes?
And the same questions: how long to create, expected price, anyone typically stock them?

Thanks!
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 04:13 PM CDT
>> So someone said something over in one of the 'Discussions' topics and reminded me of Alchemy results (other than 'frustrated people'), so I read the GSWiki page for it.

>> Talk to me about 'mana' potions, specifically the 'greater mana well' and 'greater mana regen' potions.
>> How long do these take for you folks to do?
>> What do they typically sell for?
>> Does anyone typically stock them on a continuing basis?

The biggest limitation on making either of these potions is the available supply of radiant crimson mote of essence and radiant crimson essence dust. I generally wait until I have a jar or two full of 50 before making any of the potions on this category. The main reason for this is that each potion only provides 2 sips and I tend to stock my store with 7 sip potions (so right off the back I have to be able to make 4 potions in order to end up with 1 in my shop).

There is also a time element involved in making these potions as each one requires Channeling spirit (so approximately the time it takes to recover 8 spirit to make a 7 sip potion).

I tend to price things based on the fair market value of the components (what would it cost me if I bought everything in order to make this potion) and then add in for my time (grinding ingredients, extracting things, putting it all together), and then add a reasonable markup so the overall extra effort is worth it vs. simply selling all the components off and doing something else with my time.

The next time I make a batch of either I'll time the effort but off the top of my head it looks like it would take me around 20 minutes to make four of the potions if I factor in spirit recovery time (resulting in a 7 sip potion and an extra sip left over for the next 7 sip potion).

I generally put these potions in my shop for around 75k and have them in stock pretty regularly (I don't bother with the mana well potions but I do normally stock full mana and mana regen potions). Checking player shops it appears that there are two shops selling greater mana regen potions for 40k, and one for 50k but none of these shops indicate how many sips are in each potions (I always mention this information on my shop signs). You can sometimes get a great deal on these potions if someone happens to be working through alchemy as some of the mana potions are great for knocking out those final general alchemy ranks. So basically you have someone pumping out 100 or more of these over a several week period and they're happy to get anything for them just to get them out of inventory.

From my experience, these potions do not sell well. This works fine for me given I don't find the ingredient for them very fast either (so even if they did sell well I would simply run out of stock or need to start working deals with people that hunt the appropriate areas to acquire the components). I did have a run on full mana potions during the last Duskruin arena though.

Greater Mana Regen potion recipe

clear water
3x ayana leaf
2x ground tkaro root
SIMMER
s'ayanad crystal
t'ayanad crystal
INFUSE MANA
radiant crimson mote of essence
faintly radiant dust
CHANNEL SPIRIT

Greater Mana-well Potion recipe

clear water
ground tkaro root
s'ayanad crystal
t'ayanad crystal
SIMMER
2x faintly radiant dust
INFUSE MANA
radiant crimson essence dust
CHANNEL SPIRIT

-- Robert aka Faulkil

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 04:27 PM CDT
Thanks for the awesome info write-up, Faulkil!

"I don't bother with the mana well potions" -- Faulkil

These would useful to me as a Bard, because when I Unravel/1013 my mana is permitted to go above my maximum [+50%].
I would have to check if these would actually allow me to hold +75 (the +50 from the potion, +50% more of that from Unravel allowed).
Sadly, to do so, not only would I need one of the potions but I would need a Cleric standing by. (Going over max+50% == "kill you" result.)

Still, it may be worth burning a deed to do the research and plan my rise to Supreme Bardic Power (tm)
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 04:48 PM CDT
I'll make you a potion the next time I am in Icemule, which will be this Wednesday evening when we unveil the new Icemule Winterberry Red Ale at White Haven's service night (shameless plug), so you can test it out. I'm always happy to test things, learn new things, break things, etc.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 04:55 PM CDT
I know it wasn't your query, precisely. But I was trying to sell some lesser mana potions (something like that) a couple months back for several hours. No one even inquired about a price. I dumped them into the Hearthstone Deed Grinder (TM) and now Kaldonis has like 50 deeds.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 04:58 PM CDT
PS: I'll be hitting these recipes at some point, and it's mostly about hoarding the crimson motes/dust off alchemy tables. I'd be happy for the first time in my life if a character actually wanted to buy a single thing I made.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 05:37 PM CDT
Stat increasing items are about 30 minutes in duration.

I think all alchemists follow the same pricing model for all items, unless they're trying to dump the item and thus sell below cost. The only exceptions on pricing that I know of are the two enchanting pre-temper potions. I don't know what they price at these days though.

I don't know of anyone typically stocking the stat enhancing items, especially the greater versions. Most alchemists would probably be happy to take it as a special order though.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Alchemy questions 08/17/2015 06:03 PM CDT

I have a bunch of wisdom ones to give to unenhanced sorcerers trying to ensorcell.
Re: Alchemy questions 08/19/2015 09:06 PM CDT
Hey Krakii! I have a greater mana-well potion with your name on it. Let me know when you are available to pick it up or want to do some testing with it.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: Alchemy questions 08/20/2015 10:40 AM CDT
I was going to say "this weekend," but Mom's coming over and we have plans the whole time.

Paving guys cut the Comcast lines here at the office--good thing we have a (wireless) laptop!--so I'll drop you an email next week some time-ish to connect.

(And, "Thanks!")