Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 01:31 AM CDT
I was wondering if anything might be done about grey and black ambergris.

Alchemy consignment doesn't buy it, and pawnshops will only pay a bit over 100 silvers for the grey one (black is similar I think). Problem is, I suppose, that it's too cheap to be put on the pawnshop tables. At least, I have never seen it for sale there. It's also so low a price that I think most people don't even pick it up.

It might sound insane to be like, "Make this rare treasure system alchemy reagent cost more," but uh, yeah that's kind of what I'm getting at. Or since it is an alchemy reagent, make it work through the alchemist consignment system.

This is probably a fart in the wind as far as the entire alchemy system is concerned, but it seems like there are a few pretty quick and easy solutions available to the problem of finding this stuff. Or at least, if the pawnbroker price went up, and the alchemist started buying it, even if I still couldn't manage to get my hands on anything other than what I found (or people who sell it for 30k a piece in player shops, give me a break), I don't see this causing any major problems for non-alchemists.

For as rare and useful as it is, it should be worth more.

Alternate solution: in-game whaling quests.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 05:51 AM CDT
Is it mechanically a skin? Some stuff like that is and though the pawn will buy it, you get 3 times as much at the furrier.
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 09:56 AM CDT

>Is it mechanically a skin? Some stuff like that is and though the pawn will buy it, you get 3 times as much at the furrier

this. sell at the furrier, or you can put them on the Weeping Stone at Twilight Hall and I'll happily use them for dyes
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 09:57 AM CDT
It is a skin. But if you sell it to the furrier, then people cannot use it for alchemy. If you sell it to the pawn or the alchemist, then, in theory, it should show up on the resale tables. That way, folks can use it for recipes.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 10:20 AM CDT
>> I was wondering if anything might be done about grey and black ambergris.

My guess is that these are intentionally rare. They are used primarily in the making of dyes and I am guessing that the powers that be (PTB) didn't want a flood of dye in the marketplace. From an alchemy leveling perspective I think the PTB identified specific recipes that would be part of the leveling path (with materials being more readily available) and dyes do not appear to be part of that path.

>> Or since it is an alchemy reagent, make it work through the alchemist consignment system.

While the alchemist won't buy these I feel like I have seen these for sale on the alchemist table in the past (not 100% sure on this though). Agree that since they are an alchemy component it would make since that they could be sold to the alchemist and should be available for purchase via the consignment system (if they are not already).

>> Is it mechanically a skin? Some stuff like that is and though the pawn will buy it, you get 3 times as much at the furrier.

An ash grey lump, the lump of grey ambergris is the consistency of wax, easily squeezed and pressed into different shapes. It is completely devoid of scent and, though solid, feels somewhat light.

Furrier
You ask Grundael to appraise a lump of grey ambergris.
Grundael examines the lump of grey ambergris quickly and says, "I'd say it's worth about oh... I'll pay you 410 silvers for it."

Pawnshop
Cendadric turns the ambergris over in his hands a few times.
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a strange and unusual item to be sure. I'll give you 117 silver coins for it."

Gemshop
You ask Etaenia to appraise a lump of grey ambergris.
The jeweler Etaenia says, "That's not quite my field, Aveyln. I only deal in gems and jewelry."

-- Robert
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 10:24 AM CDT

>If you sell it to the pawn or the alchemist, then, in theory, it should show up on the resale tables

it won't
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 12:25 PM CDT
>>If you sell it to the pawn or the alchemist, then, in theory, it should show up on the resale tables

>it won't

Which is why the OP wants to see an increase in price for the item, so that it will show up on one of the consignment tables, so that it can be used by folks for recipes. :-)

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/02/2014 07:26 PM CDT
>> My guess is that these are intentionally rare. They are used primarily in the making of dyes and I am guessing that the powers that be (PTB) didn't want a flood of dye in the marketplace. From an alchemy leveling perspective I think the PTB identified specific recipes that would be part of the leveling path (with materials being more readily available) and dyes do not appear to be part of that path.

I feel it is not specifically ambergris that is rare but all gems for the Solhaven/River's Rest region, because the drop pool isn't covered by any high-level hunting areas, and no alchemist wants to constantly underhunt by 50+ levels on the off chance of getting the right gem to drop. Caederine probably has a similar drop rate but isn't as soul-crushing to try to find because you can get it as a byproduct of normal play.
Re: Bump the price of ambergris or...something? 10/05/2014 01:01 AM CDT
Interesting. Guess it makes sense they'd sell for more at the furrier.

But right, I'm not trying to sell them, I'm trying to acquire them. Sounds like it might be a Sol/RR thing, which is interesting because I didn't know that.

Starchitin was recently wanting to compile which RR creatures drop which reagents, so I tossed this together (which is just ambergris so far): http://www.cns.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~daid/bha/index.php?River%27s%20Rest%20Reagents

I've been mostly using other stuff to get ranks, but I had some grey ambergris and a lot of globes. Almost through the grey ambergris, though.

Even if they are meant to be a rare alchemical drop, having them work in the consignment system only seems fair and reasonable to me. Sure keep the pawn and furrier prices, and have the alchemist buy them for 1k or 1.5k.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."