Confound it! 01/03/2011 09:28 PM CST
Lacking the intelligence God gave this inanimate steel cauldron, I cannot on my own figure out which recipes are considered "tough" for me. I looked, friends, I truly did. I experimented, and wasted, and cursed, and wept. I also once had this all written down and lost it after I stared at my desk and foolishly declared, "Time to clean this mess up! 'Train trink alch?' What in blazes is this even for?"

If anyone of you super genius obsessive compulsive types would be kind enough to spell this out for me, preferably using as few and small words as possible, I will surely lift a glass of wine in your good name.

Here's my laughable info:

You are a member of the Wizard Guild.
You currently have 56 ranks out of a possible 372 for your training.

You have 27 ranks in the General Alchemy skill.

You have 14 ranks in the Alchemic Potions skill.

You have 18 ranks in the Alchemic Trinkets skill.

For General Alchemy and Potions what "TOUGH" recipe is best for BOIL? What about SIMMER? What about CHANT?

I THOUGHT I had been making tinctures of woth, but these either no longer work for me, or simply do not work for boil (of which I am currently assigned for both General and Potion). Silvery potions also no longer do the trick.

For trinkets, making iridescent opal wands blessedly still works for chant, boil, and simmer. Any advice on which trinket I should turn to when those stop being "TOUGH"?

As always, many, many thanks in advance.
Re: Confound it! 01/03/2011 10:19 PM CST
http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alchemy_recipes

That list is pretty accurate as far as how long you can use a recipe until rank X, rank Y, etc.

For General, you're in that weird area after the main herb potions end and before you can start breaking down crystals... I think I just made minor mana and health potions and stuff to bridge the gap.

Woth should be working for you according to that chart, though, so I dunno. Maybe something's wonky.

You should definitely do Elemental Detection (405) potions until you can do 406 potions.

For trinkets (the easiest!), generally, just do wizard bolt spells/traditional wands. Iron, silver, aqua, acid, fire, etc, etc. Then it goes e-wave crystals and tremors crystals until mastery.

TLDR; don't do alchemy, it sucks.

If you insist on punishing yourself with it and still need more help... you've got my AIM, drop me a line and we can have some one-on-one time (sexy!)

-Sea Wizard

You reach into the cauldron and take out a silvery monogram rocket.
The cauldron raises up two of its legs and clasps them in victory.
Re: Confound it! 01/03/2011 10:22 PM CST
>>>Woth should be working for you according to that chart, though, so I dunno. Maybe something's wonky.<<<

Yeah, that's what is driving me crazy. I'll shoot you an AIM next time I want to bang my head into the wall and call it alchemy.
Re: Confound it! 01/03/2011 11:21 PM CST
I remember doing a LOT of brostheras and wingstem until I could do crystals..
Re: Confound it! 01/03/2011 11:28 PM CST
Status report: Rimalon was...right. Via AIM he surmised that having two BOIL tasks at once was making the screwy system go kaflooey.

Dropped both tasks, asked for new work in potions, was given cleaning crux and then polishing assemblies, which evened me out because of the two trades. Given a cauldron assignment for boil next, uh oh...but BEHOLD! WOTH is now working for me again. It seems Rimalon's theory that having two BOIL assignments mucks up the system was correct-a-mondo.

Uh, GMs? Should I bug report? Seems like a really unfriendly glitch. Doubt I'll get a couple ranks for all those WOTHs I made that were supposed to work but didn't, all my supplies back, the time, the effort, color in the now gray and thinning hair, the wife, the kids...

Wait, some of that isn't alchemy's fault.
Re: Confound it! 01/04/2011 12:25 AM CST
Actually, having two of the same type of task of any kind makes one or the other go wonky. At least, it always has in my experience.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

A member of the Sapphire Guard sidles up alongside Rvain.
(Rvain blows a kiss to the Guard standing next to him.)