Hazy silver potion 11/03/2010 07:48 PM CDT
I'm looking into making a cure potion, but I'm running into issues. I've read through the recipe on both V's site and Krakii. I'm having two main issues. There seems to be conflicting information on the ambergris. Does it have to be powdered, or not? Also, the aelotoi tears... The recipe calls for 'moonlight-infused' aelotoi tears. I have 'a vial of faintly glowing aelotoi tears' that I bought from the herbalist in Solhaven. Where does the 'moonlight-infused' part come in? I haven't been able to find anything on how to infuse moonlight, only refracting.

Thanks for the help!
Pulse
Re: Hazy silver potion 11/07/2010 09:16 AM CST
You've got the correct tears, don't worry about that.

Don't know about the ambergris though.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/08/2010 08:23 PM CST
Ok, I've tried this recipe twice now. The first time, I tried grinding up the ambergris. The second time, I didn't. The result was the same each time. Here's the most recent log: (The recipe I got from http://www.virilneus.com/recipes/recipeview.php?rid=169 )

(edited, but you can see all the things that went in the brew)

Hazy silver potion
Add water
Add 3 doses of lump of grey ambergris
Add 3 doses of ground haphip root
Add 4 doses of glowing firefly
Boil
Add 3 doses of giant glowing toadstool
Add Elanthian snow rose
Add soft blue griffin feather
Simmer
Add powdered rock crystal
Add 2 doses of essence of vitality
Add moonlight-infused aelotoi tears
Seal

You remove a black iron cauldron from in your spidersilk sack.
You drop a black iron cauldron.
You focus on the iron cauldron and pulse a small amount of mana into it. A small flickering flame appears beneath it.
You remove a flask of clear water from in your spidersilk sack.
You pour the clear water into the iron cauldron, keeping the empty flask that remains.
You put an empty flask in your spidersilk cloak.
You place a lump of grey ambergris into a black iron cauldron.
You place some ground haphip into a black iron cauldron.
You shake your glass tube over the iron cauldron and a glowing firefly falls into the solution with a slight hiss.
You shake your glass tube over the iron cauldron and a glowing firefly falls into the solution with a slight hiss.
You focus on the iron cauldron and push mana into it. The flame beneath it quickly flares up wildly, bringing the contents to a rolling boil.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
The iron cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added water, 3 doses of lump of grey ambergris, 3 doses of ground haphip root, and 4 doses of glowing firefly and boiled it.
You place a giant glowing toadstool into a black iron cauldron.
You place an Elanthian snow rose into a black iron cauldron.
You place a soft blue griffin feather into a black iron cauldron.
You focus on the iron cauldron and gently push mana into it. The flame beneath it quickly flares to life, bringing the contents to a slow simmer.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
The iron cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added water, 3 doses of lump of grey ambergris, 3 doses of ground haphip root, and 4 doses of glowing firefly, boiled it, added 3 doses of giant glowing toadstool, Elanthian snow rose, and soft blue griffin feather, and simmered it.
You place some powdered rock crystal into a black iron cauldron.
You place some essence of vitality into a black iron cauldron.
You place some essence of vitality into a black iron cauldron.
You place a vial of faintly glowing aelotoi tears into a black iron cauldron.
The iron cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added water, 3 doses of lump of grey ambergris, 3 doses of ground haphip root, and 4 doses of glowing firefly, boiled it, added 3 doses of giant glowing toadstool, Elanthian snow rose, and soft blue griffin feather, simmered it, and added powdered rock crystal, 2 doses of essence of vitality, and moonlight-infused aelotoi tears.
You remove an empty flask from in your spidersilk cloak.
You hold your hands over the iron cauldron and murmur the incantation for sealing the solution. As you do so, an aquamarine haze begins to seep out of the cauldron, dissipating as it reaches the ground.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
Gradually, you pulse mana into the cauldron, settling the turbulent essences contained within.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
As you soothe the solution, you can see the liquid ripple and contort slightly as it starts to condense.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
You sense something amiss with the solution in the cauldron and quickly dismiss the flame and stop the sealing process.
The contents of the cauldron swirl suddenly, turning an unpleasant shade of brown and casting a foul odor into the air. The solution is clearly ruined.
With a sigh, you empty the cauldron of its failed concoction.
You stare at nothing in particular.

Can someone please tell me what is going on? Or if this potion is even valid anymore?

Thanks!
Pulse
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/08/2010 09:53 PM CST
The recipe in that post isn't correct. The ambergris needs to be ground/powdered.

I'm not sure why it would have failed the first time. Do you still have a log of that? The recipe is still valid and I just made it myself to check.

-Strath
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/09/2010 09:22 AM CST
Unfortunately, no, I don't have a log of the first attempt. The only thing that was different from the log I posted was the ambergris was ground/powdered. I'll try it again! Thanks for responding so quickly!

Pulse
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/10/2010 04:24 PM CST
It failed because the order is wrong. The haphip root goes in before the ambergris. They do both need to be ground, though.
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/10/2010 04:48 PM CST
It actually doesn't matter which order you put the reagents in as long as they go in before the corresponding boil/simmer/infuse/channel/seal step.

So if the formula is

Water
ayana leaf
ground tkaro root
boil
powdered blue sapphire
seal

it doesn't matter if you put the ayana leaf or the ground tkaro root in first, as long as they both go in before you boil it. When you look at your cauldron, you'll notice that the order the reagents are listed is the order they appear in the formula, not the order you put them in.

If, however, you put the powdered blue sapphire in before you boil it, you'll fail the attempt.
Re: Hazy silver potion (Help, GM!) 11/10/2010 05:18 PM CST
I don't think I ever heard that before, interesting.