My mistake? 09/06/2010 05:46 PM CDT
I recently started General Alchemy and I've gotten the create a tough recipe using Boil. I've tried creating the acantha potion about 50 times and still not a single rep. I know guild skills are hard, but is it supposed to be this hard?

Also, I didn't realize you can write recipes into the tome until after I was taught my first 2 recipes, is there any way to add those recipes in now? I keep getting the "there isn't a recipe fresh in your mind" message.
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:11 PM CDT
Can you post what GLD says your task is?

You can either WRITE in your tome immediately after being taught a formula, or after you complete a formula. If that window has passed you can't go back, but there are lists on krakiipedia and virilneus that you can reference. Just WRITE the formula down after you complete the item next time.

~Becca
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:18 PM CDT
The exact message is...

The Training Administrator told you to follow some tough recipes and create some items.
You have 4 repetitions remaining to complete this task.

And just to clarify, my first 2 recipes are gone forever or I'll be able to write them down after I'm taught my next recipe?
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:25 PM CDT
This is for General Alchemy?

Right, if you don't write them down you have to make the item or copy the formula out of someone else's book.

~Becca
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:28 PM CDT
Yes, General Alchemy.
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:38 PM CDT
And you're using your own cauldron, not the Guild cauldrons?

If you've just begun alchemy, I imagine you're still within the rank range for acantha to be a tough task.

Maybe someone else has any ideas, but without a log I can't see anything wrong.

~Becca
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:42 PM CDT
How many ranks do you currently have in general alchemy now? You will stop learning on tinctures of acantha after 13 ranks. You can make a tincture of ambrominas (same recipe as acantha but using ambrominas leaf instead) through 14 ranks. The tincture of yabathilium is probably a good recipe to make for Boil for 15-18.

-- Faulkil
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:51 PM CDT
Yes, using my own ingredients/cauldron. I'm at rank 1. It's not that I'm not learning from making the potion, it's that I can't get the potion made to begin with. I fail EVERY time...and I've done it at least 60-75 times already. Log below of a typical attempt.

get mort
You remove a mortar from in your spidersilk backpack.

get ac leaf
You remove some acantha leaf from in your spidersilk backpack.

put leaf in my mort
You put some acantha leaf in your mortar.

get pest
You remove a pestle from in your spidersilk backpack.

grind leaf in my mort
You grind the acantha leaf with your pestle, moving the pestle with deliberate, methodical motions.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
grind leaf in my mort
You grind the acantha leaf with your pestle, moving the pestle with deliberate, methodical motions.
grind leaf in my mort
grind leaf in my mort
R>grind leaf in my mort

The ground acantha appears to be as ground as its going to get.

put pest in my back
You put a pestle in your spidersilk backpack.

get ac
You remove some ground acantha from in your mortar.

put mort in my back
You put a mortar in your spidersilk backpack.

open sat
You open a dark spidersilk satchel secured with invar rune-etched buckles.

get water
You remove a flask of clear water from in your spidersilk satchel.

light cauld
You focus on the iron cauldron and pulse a small amount of mana into it. A small flickering flame appears beneath it.

pour water in cauld
You pour the clear water into the iron cauldron, keeping the empty flask that remains.

put ac in cauld
You place some ground acantha into a black iron cauldron.

alchemy boil
You focus on the iron cauldron and push mana into it. The flame beneath it quickly flares up wildly, bringing the contents to a rolling boil.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

alchemy seal
You hold your hands over the iron cauldron and murmur the incantation for sealing the solution. As you do so, an aquamarine haze begins to seep out of the cauldron, dissipating as it reaches the ground.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Gradually, you pulse mana into the cauldron, settling the turbulent essences contained within.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

As you soothe the solution, you can see the liquid ripple and contort slightly as it starts to condense.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

You sense something amiss with the solution in the cauldron and quickly dismiss the flame and stop the sealing process.

The contents of the cauldron swirl suddenly, turning an unpleasant shade of brown and casting a foul odor into the air. The solution is clearly ruined.

With a sigh, you empty the cauldron of its failed concoction.
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:54 PM CDT
Oh.

Don't grind the acantha leaf.

In general, BOIL recipes take the whole herb, while SIMMER recipes require them ground.

~Becca
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:55 PM CDT
Also, get used to typing LOOK CAULDRON right before you seal. You can work it into your scripts if you're using them. It makes it much easier to figure out what's wrong at a glance, especially later on when there are like 12 steps.

~Becca
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 06:55 PM CDT
Grr, thanks. I knew it was probably something stupid I was doing. I must have gotten thrown off because the first task I got from the Taskmaster was the grind ingredients.

Thanks for the help, I was pulling my hair out.
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 07:21 PM CDT
For future reference, if you fail to make something in alchemy it is for one of four reasons:

1) You aren't skilled enough to make that alchemy item yet.
2) You aren't a class that can make that alchemy item (some recipes can only be done successfully by certain classes even if you know the chants and do everything else correctly).
3) The recipe you are following is not correct.
4) NAOS hates you and is actively thwarting your efforts. :p

There is no skill check at the end where you might fail or succeed based on your current ranks. You can either make it perfectly or you can't make it at all. Knowing this will save you from trying to make something 50 time on the assumption that you are unlucky with some sort of endroll.

-- Faulkil
Re: My mistake? 09/06/2010 07:56 PM CDT
That helps a lot. I assumed it was something like Illusions where you had to do it 20 times just to get it right once at the lower ranks.
Re: My mistake? 09/07/2010 09:04 AM CDT
with herbs always use "bundle remove" to make sure you are only using 1 of the herb. Most will work with the entire bundle but you can sure waste a lot of herbs if you don't. This also applies with grinding them.

Lots of luck.

Saazz
Re: My mistake? 09/08/2010 09:47 AM CDT
<< 4) NAOS hates you and is actively thwarting your efforts. :p >>

I felt this needed to be repeated.

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire! Now with more banhammer! You sense the bond between you and your grey cat grow stronger.
Re: My mistake? 09/09/2010 05:48 PM CDT
<< 4) NAOS hates you and is actively thwarting your efforts. :p >>

I felt this needed to be repeated.

--
Naos

I am of the opinion that alchemy distill water tasks are direct evidence of this.

-- Faulkil
Re: My mistake? 09/10/2010 05:51 PM CDT
>I am of the opinion that alchemy distill water tasks are direct evidence of this.

Alchemy on the whole is direct evidence of this.

<3

Mandy
Re: My mistake? 09/12/2010 01:30 AM CDT
>Alchemy on the whole is direct evidence of this.

grandmaster alchemists cant even make moonshine. thats bad

~Moredin
Re: My mistake? 10/27/2010 06:46 PM CDT
You can also copy recipes from other people's tomes