Alchemists required 11/28/2014 11:59 AM CST
I don't know how many master alchemists are engaged in the Cross into Shadows storyline, but it appears we need some help. Those slightly familiar with the storyline will know that Walkar, former mayor of the Landing, has been turned into an abomination that raises the undead. Apparently, an alchemic formula has been discovered that will cure him.

This is where it gets a bit difficult!

There's 6 different formulas that combine into components for a final formula.

One of the formulas absolutely requires a wizard.
One of the formulas has two alternate versions that can be done either by a sorcerer or an empath. (I'm working on this one, and I think Evialla is working on it as well?)
Another formula can be done by a sorcerer or cleric. (I believe someone is working on this. I see components for it have been collected from the trunk)

The other 3 formulas are components to the recipes I just described. The final formula can be done by any master alchemist.

Now, the bad news I have is that I leave to go overseas on the 3rd for two weeks, so I likely can't be there for the final recipe.

But the bigger problem is this: I don't think we have a wizard master alchemist engaged on that first formula I described. And it's the most complicated of the three professional formulas that combine into the final formula.

Is anyone available? I don't want this whole thing to sink because there are no wizard master alchemists around! :)

Also for those that are not high ranking in alchemy, the first formula in the tome seems to be doable by anyone above rank 5 or so? Since we have to make 45 of those for the three doses of the wizard formula (15 per dose), any assistance on that would be really helpful.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: Alchemists required 11/28/2014 10:16 PM CST
>> But the bigger problem is this: I don't think we have a wizard master alchemist engaged on that first formula I described. And it's the most complicated of the three professional formulas that combine into the final formula.

I have not been very involved in the storyline this year (I'm usually going to bed before anything starts happening) but assuming this recipe could be completed during earlier times in the day or there was a set scheduled for when the alchemy work needed to be completed I would be happy to get involved and provide support for this.

I'll be pretty much out of game for a few more days (until Monday) since my folks are in town visiting but if someone wants to bring me up to speed on what is needed and when then I would be happy to help.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Alchemists required 11/29/2014 12:04 AM CST
Hey Robert/Faulkil,

Here's the main formula to be done for a wizard:

A flask of brightwind elixir

Add blessed water
Add 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed
Add 10 doses of smooth brown briarstone
Channel lifeforce
Boil
Add 15 doses of swirling azure potion
Chant Major Fire
Channel lifeforce

Both deep blue riverweed and smooth brown briarstone are found in Wyrdeep Forest. There are people hunting there that have been collecting the components that drop from the creatures there. You can find some in the trunk outside the brass tower. (after you cross the bridge in the Landing, go up the footpath and you'll be at the tower)

To make swirling azure potion, the following two formulas have to be done:

Page 1 reads:

A bubbling murky green concoction

Add water
Add small green windberry
Simmer
Add stalk of bluebells
Add ayana leaf
Boil

Page 2 reads:

A swirling azure potion

Add bubbling murky green concoction
Distill using an alembic

Small green windberries are also found in Wyrdeep Forest. You'll find some in the trunk that have been collected as well.

I can try to meet you Monday evening for a bit if you want to copy the formulas into your own tome. If that works for you, I'll try to make some of the swirling azure potions as well to give so that gives you somewhat of a headstart. The final formula requires three doses of the brightwind elixir. A lot of other players have copies of the tome that has the formulas in it, so in case we can't connect, there are others that you can get it from.

It can be done on your own time, which is the good part. :)

Let me know!

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Alchemists required 11/29/2014 09:14 PM CST
<<Now, the bad news I have is that I leave to go overseas on the 3rd for two weeks, so I likely can't be there for the final recipe.>>

If you're still in need of an empath alchemist once you head overseas, I'll be glad to pitch in. I haven't done much since making guildmaster, though. Is it a high level trinket or potion formula?

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Alchemists required 11/29/2014 10:59 PM CST
I will be around Monday evening to start on these. I am presently in Icemule so it is a short hop down to the Landing.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: Alchemists required 11/30/2014 11:41 AM CST
>If you're still in need of an empath alchemist once you head overseas, I'll be glad to pitch in. I haven't done much since making guildmaster, though. Is it a high level trinket or potion formula? - Gretchen

It's a high level potion formula.

A flask of clouded white oil

Add pure oil
Add 4 doses of wyrdroot extract
Add 4 doses of ground ghost white lichen
Boil
Add essence of body
Infuse mana
Add 4 doses of essence of earth
Chant Heal
Infuse mana

There is an alternate version that sorcerers can make (just substitutes Blood Burst for Heal). I'm two lichens short of making one dose, and I believe Evialla is three wyrdroot extracts short of making one dose. (I've been able to get enough wyrdroot for the both of us, so she should be able to make her dose in a day or so, once I meet with her) So yes, a third dose will need to be made. I'm going to call a meeting for tomorrow evening to make sure we have everything organized. (see the Cross into Shadows topic for details)

Robert/Faulkil: Great. Will see you tomorrow.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Alchemists required 11/30/2014 02:32 PM CST
<<It's a high level potion formula. >>

Do you know how high? I have 44 ranks in potions.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Alchemists required 12/01/2014 06:20 AM CST
Not sure how high. 44 might be enough. I ended up getting enough components yesterday (thanks Kaedra and Artoriosdemer!) to make 2 doses of the clouded white oil, though. Assuming Evialla will be able to make the third dose tonight once I give her the wyrdroot extract, that part will be complete.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Alchemists required 12/01/2014 07:40 PM CST
I located the trunk outside the tower but there were no materials within to work with.

I thought I might try my hand at gathering the materials directly but was unsuccessful in locating the airship docks to begin this task. I inquired around town (and on LNet) but either no one knows or no one was interested in sharing the location of the airship docks. I then spent some time digging through the forums and found the post indicating that the airship docks were located 'in the grasslands'. After spending 20-30 minutes exploring what I understand to be 'the grasslands' outside the Landing I decided this wasn't the day I was going to make any serious alchemical contribution to Walker's cure.

If someone can direct me to the airship docks that would be most appreciated! From there I will see what I can do about contributing to the cure.

-- Faulkil

Re: Alchemists required 12/01/2014 07:43 PM CST

s, e, of 447
Re: Alchemists required 12/01/2014 07:45 PM CST

Outside the west gate, go south towards Danjirland.

One north of the cutoff to Mel's reach is a new east path. Airship docks.

448 on Lich.

~The red-robed summoner steps forward, bows respectfully, then steps back. His hood falls back slightly and his dark sea blue eyes stare out from the shadows. He grins wickedly, then steps into the shadows.
Re: Alchemists required 12/02/2014 03:43 AM CST

We have determined through much wringing of hands that the formula for -- A dark shadow essence -- will absolutely fail until it has been further refined by Keios.

The sticky bit is towards the final ingredients, even though added in the correct order, evil spirits are flipping the order of the essence of soul and the 10 doses of spirit shards, causing the formula to fail on seal.

look at cauldron
The iron cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added crystalline solution, 20 doses of black jasper, 5 doses of inky necrotic core, and 10 doses of ground bloodwood twig, simmered it, and added 10 doses of spirit shard and essence of soul.

Keios is working on expelling the evil spirits from the formula.

In the meantime, we do have one dark shadow essence.

Two more will be needed, requiring:

40 black jasper (whole ones)
10 inky necrotic core
20 ground bloodwood twig

-Evialla
Re: Alchemists required 12/02/2014 01:25 PM CST
>>We have determined through much wringing of hands that the formula for -- A dark shadow essence -- will absolutely fail until it has been further refined by Keios.

The issue should be resolved now, and please continue using the formula that was handed out by GM Kenstrom.

Thank you, everybody, for your patience involving these alchemical snafus.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Alchemists required 12/02/2014 01:28 PM CST

I would recommend replacing the ingredients that were lost to bugs.
Re: Alchemists required 12/02/2014 03:06 PM CST
>>I would recommend replacing the ingredients that were lost to bugs.

As far as I am aware, there has only been one bug that has resulted in actual loss of ingredients.
Evialla reported that the shadow essence recipe was buggy, which was confirmed, and she was recompensed. That particular bug has now been fixed.

If there have been other ingredients lost due to that bug, or if a new bug is found, please send me an email or post here and I can look into it.

-KEIOS

Re: Alchemists required 12/03/2014 02:41 AM CST
Kaedra and I tried to make the brightwind elixir tonight, but the wizard formula doesn't appear to work either, as the riverweed and briarstones switched order after being correctly added to the cauldron:

The small silver cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added blessed water and 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed.

The small silver cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added blessed water, 10 doses of smooth brown briarstone, and 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed.

I finished the formula out, but it failed in the end anyway, so we've lost one set of ingredients.

The small silver cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added blessed water, 10 doses of smooth brown briarstone, and 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed, channeled some lifeforce, boiled it, added 15 doses of swirling azure potion, chanted Major Fire, and channeled some lifeforce.

>You sense something amiss with the solution in the cauldron and quickly dismiss the flame and stop the sealing process.

The contents of the cauldron swirl suddenly, turning an unpleasant shade of brown and casting a foul odor into the air. The solution is clearly ruined.

With a sigh, you empty the cauldron of its failed concoction.

I put in an assist on Fleurs, and I'll be around tomorrow should anyone be able to help replace the lost ingredients and update us once the formula is working. Thanks!
Re: Alchemists required 12/03/2014 10:41 AM CST
>>I put in an assist on Fleurs, and I'll be around tomorrow should anyone be able to help replace the lost ingredients and update us once the formula is working. Thanks!

The formula has been corrected. If I am not around when you are next online, I've left instructions to my colleagues on getting you your ingredients replaced.

Thanks again for your patience, and my apologies for the inconvenience.

-KEIOS

Re: Alchemists required 12/03/2014 12:05 PM CST
Thank you for the fix! I successfully made 2 doses of the elixir, so now I just need replacements for the third and we will have all of the components for the final recipe tonight when there's moonlight.

The formula worked, but in the cauldron it still looked buggy as before, with the riverweed and briarstones switching places:

The small silver cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added blessed water and 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed.

The small silver cauldron is currently lit. So far, you've added blessed water, 10 doses of smooth brown briarstone, and 6 doses of mashed deep blue riverweed.
Re: Alchemists required 12/04/2014 12:36 AM CST
This all looks pretty fun. Too bad Kaldonis is still rather janky at alchemy. Though, I kind of feel like I'm one of the only people actively making an effort to progress in alchemy.

I'd like to chime in that things like this being part of a storyline certainly encourages me to keep slogging through it! Even if I can't help much now, it sounds cool!

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Alchemists required 12/04/2014 08:50 AM CST
>> Though, I kind of feel like I'm one of the only people actively making an effort to progress in alchemy.

My cleric is slowly moving along as well. They should have it all mastered in the next 1-2 years!

-- Robert

Re: Alchemists required 12/04/2014 09:49 AM CST
I've gotten back into it and have started slogging along again.

Made it to where I can do all the healing tinctures, now to decide what I want to yawn my way to next.

Tanivar Somakre

Healing, you want it, you shall have it.