Re: Best places to find 06/07/2012 07:58 PM CDT
Like all gemstones, green malachites are particular to location, but I've found them in Solhaven, Teras, and Icemule aplenty on anything between 20-40th level. The crimson reagents, when push comes to shove, are available for purchase with medium regularity from the alchemist shops where high-level areas reside, primarily Illistim and Teras. While expensive, I mastered general alchemy solely through the alchemist shop so it can be done.

~Niadja
Re: Best places to find 06/07/2012 09:36 PM CDT
you mean, you traded those tasks in that involved channeling for ranks 58 or whatever through 62? whenever spirit shards stopped working.

I tried trading it in, and got the same task again AND 11 points added onto my guild thing. it is a pain to find that many reagents even for the attainable stuff at that rank. 15 recipes for greater sneezing powder needs 30 essences of fire. I dont want to tell you how long it takes to gather that myself, and how expensive the firethorn essence is.

doable? yes, but I'm hoping it was not INTENDED to be that way. there are tons of updates to alchemy made solely so it would be "more doable", in Naos and Strath's words.

~Moredin
Re: Best places to find 06/07/2012 09:56 PM CDT
Here is the training path I followed for upper end general alchemy. I stopped trading things in at Rank 59. I believe it was Quildor that shared a good portion of this with me. I collected a lot of ingredients early on in preparation and had a good amount of help from friends along the way as well.

B = Boil
C = Channel
I = Infuse Mana
S = Simmer

Rank 50:
Spirit shards EXCLUSIVELY.
TRADE ALL BOIL AND SIMMER TASKS.

Rank 59:
I,S glowing violet essence shard: Greater mana potion
B,I,S essence of fire: Major sneezing powder
B,C,I,S pristine sprite's hair: Lesser luck talisman
C,I,S radiant crimson essence dust: Greater mana-well potion
If you are an empath, you can make Hazy brown liquid essence and Full health potions.
If you are a cleric, you can make Hazy green liquid essence and Hazy grey liquid essence
I don't really know if making essences works for reps, but I'd assume so; it's a recipe.

Rank 60:
Everything from rank 59
B,C,I,S pristine siren's hair: Greater luck talisman

Rank 61:
Everything from rank 59 and 60 plus
C,I,S radiant crimson mote of essence: Greater mana regeneration potion

Rank 62:
Everything listed in ranks 59, 60, and 61 plus:
I,S radiant crimson essence shard: Full mana potion

-- Faulkil
Re: Best places to find 06/08/2012 12:20 AM CDT
I've seen this training plan before, in these exact words. Out of curiosity, did you try the hazy brown and hazy green liquid essences? Or can anyone else confirm whether they work for reps and what level they start at?

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Best places to find 06/08/2012 01:30 AM CDT
I can tell you that as of rank 59 in General, the grey doesn't work for reps, and the green doesn't as of 61 (I didn't try either before those ranks). While there's no reason they wouldn't work previous to that, I don't have any numbers as to when. Didn't try the brown one to see if it would even work for a cleric, but looking at the formula for it and the results from the other two, I doubt you'd have any better luck with that either.
Re: Best places to find 06/08/2012 06:47 PM CDT
that is essentially my training plan. although major sneezing powders are what I've been doing for everything except CHANNEL, since they cover everything else and I havent had problems getting the ingredients.

I've been ranking up a long way in trinkets making dark crystal wands which require 3 fire cat claws each. so i get a little fire essence each time I go hunt fire rats or cats. when I build up enough fire essence, I do the general alchemy task. then back to working on trinkets.

that section of trinkets (recipe works for ranks 38 all the way to 56) really complements general alchemy well (minor/major sneezing powders)

~Moredin
Re: Best places to find 06/09/2012 11:27 AM CDT
The best advice is to move to Teras until you finish alchemy. I mastered using only two formulas: lesser luck talisman for channel tasks and major sneezing powder for everything else. This was back when you needed 6 essences of fire for each sneezing powder. Essence of fire drops with the same regularity on Teras that essence of water does in Icemule. Firethorn essence is expensive, but crimson components are even more so and having to only manage the components for two formulas was worth every silver.

Besides all that, Teras is the only place you can get golden moonstones if you want to mix it up and make greater luck talismans. Also, you'll be able to hunt creatures that drop crimson reagents.
Re: Best places to find 06/12/2012 09:23 PM CDT
Oh, if you get lucky and get master reps at the beginning of ranks 60, 61, and 62, make greater luck talismans. You'll make 10k per talisman, more than your components. I think that's the only recipe you achieve that on.

(pun not intended)

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."