Language Question 10/21/2012 07:13 AM CDT
Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the language and wanted to put together some phrases I would be likely to use. My Aelotoi is a priest, so, really, outside of what is posted, I wanted something that she could use in a raising ritual. Here's what I have so far based off of available words:

Dyrhka symisiri fhrii ne’syrah drenlo ha'wlo’sah. Ami bre'dai tayr kyr bre'dai kerirolim khem kerosa.

What I was hoping for was something along the lines of "Hate (vengeance? ;) ) carry this spirit (away) from the resting place of the dead. Your time has come to give your enemies the worst."

Not really sure how to deal with possessives (outside of our, which is listed) except to use bre? Anyway.. ideas? Glaring errors? Please be nice. I'm really not very good at this >.<
Re: Language Question 10/21/2012 05:44 PM CDT
<<Dyrhka symisiri fhrii ne’syrah drenlo ha'wlo’sah. Ami bre'dai tayr kyr bre'dai kerirolim khem kerosa.>>

I really like the selection of words and your phrasing. It sounds beautiful, especially the last part (kerirolim khem kerosa just flows together nicely).

I'm just wondering how exactly you have fit the "ami" into the second part? It seems to act as a fluff word, not really meaning anything. Is it supposed to be connected somehow to another word?

<<Not really sure how to deal with possessives (outside of our, which is listed) except to use bre?>>

I think it works nicely: your = of you -- makes sense.

)O(Mikaela)O(

Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "Well, based on my past two months . . ."
Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "The future of Sorcery has wings."
Re: Language Question 10/21/2012 07:36 PM CDT
>>I'm just wondering how exactly you have fit the "ami" into the second part? It seems to act as a fluff word, not really meaning anything. Is it supposed to be connected somehow to another word?

Well, I actually pulled it from the phrase, "Ami'eda phu tayr, phu amyrana's en'elta." Ami'eda phy tayr collectively means "For when it comes our time." My adaptation, I was hoping, would read "Your time has come" Any suggestions for how to do this a bit clearer? I'm not really sure what part in Ami'edu is "for" and "to come," if that makes sense. I might need Ami'eda in the entirety, or just eda? Or just ami? lol. I don't know >.<

Thank for your your thoughts!

Re: Language Question 10/22/2012 06:58 AM CDT
<<Well, I actually pulled it from the phrase, "Ami'eda phu tayr, phu amyrana's en'elta.">>

Yeah, that was a phrase Viiolet's player and myself had concocted for a bardfest performance many years back. I'll have to sit and think on how we constructed it when I get home from work. I'm not awake enough right now to remember.

)O(Mikaela)O(

Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "Well, based on my past two months . . ."
Re: Language Question 10/22/2012 07:47 PM CDT
<<"Ami'eda phu tayr, phu amyrana's en'elta.">>

So, I've thought about it and deconstructed it how we (Vii's player and myself) had originally discussed it:

phu = our (that's clear enough, as in the Common translation it correlates)
tayr = time (definitely)
Ami'eda = in our minds, the 'eda (meaning "when" as a solo word) connected with the prefix "ami-" makes it a futuristic tense (future present participle? It's been a long time since learning all the different tenses in English literature). I believe ami could be a conjugation of the verb "to come" or "to arrive" (which was never officially stated...but let's say it's "amhyr"). "Amhyr" may even be loosely translated as "to land". In our minds, "ami'eda" was definitely a combination of a conjugated verb prefixing another word.
amyrana's = mother with a possesive 's as used in Common (possession may not be exactly the same in Aelotian as it is in Common, but I believe it would be sort of close)
en'elta = this one word seems to make up a large portion of the phrase, and with good reason: I made it up because it sounded like "altogether". I wanted to convey the feeling of being embraced by one's mother (or female caretaker). So, "en-" means a prefix pertaining to the physical body and -elta could mean "holding". "Our mother's arms are where we'll fall" is a very flowery translation of a simple phrase. If you were to literally translate the entire original phrase, it might be closer to this: When it will come our time, our mother's body will be holding (carressing, soothing, etc.) us.

The way these phrases were created is really very simple: one of us would come up with a word we liked the sound of (in English) then we'd jumble up the letters or make something up that sounded similar (i.e. "amhyr" is similar in sound to "am here" so it makes sense to translate it to "to arrive").

<<Or just ami?>>

I don't really think "ami" should ever be a solo word. It is connected to too many other Aelotian words (amin, amitaer) and phrases (aminaeri) to be used as anything other than a prefix or suffix. I'm thinking it's more like to be a prefix, since it's at the beginning of the examples I listed. But of course, this is just my opinion and does not have to be taken as anything conclusive. Use this as a tool to enhance your own personal interpretation of the language. I hope that this helps clarify your questions somewhat and doesn't just make things more confusing.

)O(Mikaela)O(

Re: Language Question 10/23/2012 01:20 PM CDT
That does make sense, and thank you again for all of your help! I think I've got a good idea now :-D
Re: Language Question 10/23/2012 05:23 PM CDT
<<That does make sense, and thank you again for all of your help! I think I've got a good idea now :-D>>

I'm glad! It is my pleasure to help enhance the beautiful Aelotian language. I look forward to seeing your idea in action!

)O(Mikaela)O(