Ways to support MHO events 04/21/2021 09:52 PM CDT
I didn't want to derail the prize closet thread so I thought it best to start a new one. Since the intention of prize closet items are to add a little spice and flavor to MHO events, I think the discussion boils down to: how can players be incentivized to attend MHO and other player organized events? And, how can MHO officers be supported in their efforts to encourage roleplay?

I'd really like to see roleplay awards handed out more liberally. These used to be very commonplace at storyline events, and I understand why their usage was reduced. But I think the scales have tipped too far in the other direction. It's sad to see such things at pay events but not very often for roleplay. So with the RPA contest coming up, I'd like to encourage GMs to pay close attention to RP nominates now and in the future. Remember when weddings were a guaranteed RPA? Can we make that a thing for MHO/CHE events? I think it should be.

If a GM feels inclined and is in the mood, I'd like to encourage them to jump on an NPC and hop into a player-organized event. I've seen this happen a couple times and it's absolutely special and memorable when it occurs. If this were to become a semi regular occurrence, I think more people would attend events. I know I'm asking for GM time here - but I hope it's time the GMs would enjoy! A chance to kick back and roleplay whatever your mind cooks up. Like creepy twins in an eerie hallway, I say "Come and play with us. Forever, and ever, and ever."

Anyway, I'm interested to hear additional thoughts. To me the prize closet feedback seems like a symptom of this larger issue: it's an uphill battle to garner interest in player events.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/21/2021 11:46 PM CDT
Calendar Entries.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 12:53 AM CDT
TOOLS!

Tools to Make the Events Less ... Home Made

There's a time when Homemade is good. Auntie M's lemon meringue pie, Grandma's Gravy, etc. But when a group has to go through gyrations to pick a winner for something, form a line, etc, it does not look very professional.

SPINNER: There's no way to select someone for a random prize unless you happen to have a spinner item. A very kind person gave one to the TownCrier last year, so we have one! Before that time, we used a trick flower squirter (in someone's face!) to randomly pick someone. That, too, was given to us.

Clearly spinner items exist, Merchants use them all the time.

LIST/QUEUE: We sometimes need people to get in line for comments, competition, or to take turns at something. The TownCrier had to write a comprehensive Lich script that helps us moderate a Town Hall meeting type of questions in turn thing. Once we got the bugs shook out, people were never overlooked again, and the person moderating the event did not suffer undue anxiety over the task.

RAFFLES: Raffles are understood by everyone and have a time-honored place in GS history. Not everyone has the auction block that was a prize at some event, let alone an unlocked one. And there's not even a way to get them unlocked if you have one that is not unlocked.

What are some other tools that will help your group's event work better?

~L.
--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 01:46 AM CDT
>TOOLS!

These are the sorts of thing that ought to be in a function room. The MHO books a room the the MHO hall for its event, it has these sorts of props in it.
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 09:08 AM CDT
Luxie to your calendar request - I've stopped using the official calendar completely, and I now rely solely on TownCrier's calendar. From what I understand it's a very complicated and labor intensive process for staff to update the play.net calendar, and every entry needs to be QC'd. This seems needlessly complicated to me. Sort of a 'the enemy of good enough is perfect' situation. I'd rather have a calendar with grammatical errors than a perfect one with missing information.

Your idea for tools and additional functionality is great. +1 to that.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 09:12 AM CDT
Raffles: The raffle system is really annoying, very manual, and very time-consuming. If there are ever updates that make this more automated, I will be the first in line to get these back for you. They definitely had to go away for now, but when I have breathing space, I may turn my attention to pestering someone who understands the code to find a way to allow me to automate it or something.

MHO Hall rooms: I saw the idea about having rentable MHO Hall rooms that had auction, raffle, etc. functions, and this is something that is on my list to look at and see whether or not there are ways to do that. Bear in mind that it isn't always as easy as having the prop in there to do things...different scripts work in different ways and some will lend themselves to this nicely (like podiums) but others may not (like raffles) and figuring out each of these things is time-consuming. It is definitely worth it, of course, and I will be looking at them in the future.

Spinner items: Also on my list to see about how we could work something like this for you guys.

List item: I like this and I think there may be a way to do this too, so it's on my list of things to look at.

Calendar: This is a manual process, but I will reiterate something I said in the beginning of all this last year -- once I get the backlog cleared up and things like this completed, I can get a better idea of how much time, effort, and energy things are taking and see if I can up things like this to more than what is currently allowed.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
>Emails for MHO business should go to GS4-MHO@PLAY.NET
"My real name is Mephistopheles, but you can call me baby"
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 10:03 AM CDT
> Calendar: This is a manual process, but I will reiterate something I said in the beginning of all this last year -- once I get the backlog cleared up and things like this completed, I can get a better idea of how much time, effort, and energy things are taking and see if I can up things like this to more than what is currently allowed.

Caeruil Atelier Officer here. We don't have a whole lot of skin in this game as our MHO has never asked for event support on the scale of some more established MHOs. We don't have a need for raffles, spinners, or even prize closets when it comes down to it (if I am reading the thread right, we will never even use a prize closet if it costs 30k for a single piece of paper).

The cut-back on calendar items however, is rough. Instead of using an email submission that allows folks to wax poetic with convoluted novels requiring conversation and editing, it could be simplified by setting up a very rigidly defined calendar submission form that corresponded to the fields used in the calendar system.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 10:15 AM CDT
>>The cut-back on calendar items however, is rough. Instead of using an email submission that allows folks to wax poetic with convoluted novels requiring conversation and editing, it could be simplified by setting up a very rigidly defined calendar submission form that corresponded to the fields used in the calendar system.

Totally not my skillset, but I do have it on my list to ask how we can make this easier. One method would be a survey like the PERs -- still manual, but more rigidly defined items, as you suggest, but I'd love something that put it straight on a hidden google calendar, alerted me, and then I can do the quick grammar check and do the move to the visible calendar (both of which are pretty easy). I'll definitely be asking around behind the scenes on how we can do this, because I would like to get more calendar flexibility for you guys.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 05:26 PM CDT
In all the discussion about MHO changes, the disposition of prize closets, the paring down of events, and everything else, one point stood out to me:

MHOs are being treated as a liability instead of as an asset.

That seems to be the central conflict as players see what they're doing as an asset to the game whereas GMs are looking at the system as a net cost, a drain on the game that must be brought under control. When two views are this far apart, it becomes more challenging to reach any kind of consensus.

We do what we do with our MHO because we love it, but I think I speak for all the Faendryl Enclave members when I say we also feel we're contributing something to the game via roleplay and cultural additions. MHOs are part of what makes Elanthia richer and deeper than other games; their events are a way players can enrich the game world beyond what GMs have time and energy to do. We took up the baton from Valyrka, for example, with an annual symposium after she created the first one. While I don't think this enrichment entitles MHOs to showers of GALD and baubles, it does raise the question of how to facilitate what we do -- and that's what I'm hoping to see discussed. Instead, we're mostly seeing the cuts as if the whole system must be chucked overboard to keep the ship afloat.

So, I'm with Maylan: Given that MHOs are a net positive for the game -- and I hope we can all agree that's true and that we are not ballast -- how can we make them more streamlined, easier to run for players, and easier to manage for Xynwen and other GMs who work with them? How can we reward participation without bloated or convoluted systems? I don't have the answers, but maybe we can ask the questions that will lead us to those answers. Here are some things I'd like to see:

- Props -- On Discord, a lot of MHO officers agreed that we rarely used the "prize" closet for prizes anyway, viewing the contents more as props for events. Would it be possible to have props available, possibly as a pool for all MHOs instead of individual closets, to make events easier to run? Luxie suggested many of these, such as spinners and auction gavels.

- Ongoing long-term benefits -- Under the old system, once your MHO had collected its LTBs, you were done. There was no way to continue to earn more by remaining active, and that seemed like a missed opportunity to reward years of dedicated roleplay. I'd love to see the opportunity to add a new room every couple of years or so, but I understand if that wouldn't be possible due to QC constraints. Adding functionality, such as appending the ballroom script to a room or making it a workshop, would be less of a drain on QC resources.

- Recognition of effort -- At the risk of breeding scabs, let's see some love for the MHOs that consistently go above and beyond. I know that trimming event requirements per year from six to two was designed to cut down on paperwork, but it seems a shame not to have incentives for doing more. We've heard about the "punishments" for a bloated system; we want to know more about potential rewards, please!

- Automated systems -- We've seen these mentioned here and there with tantalizing hints about how this could take some of the sting out of prize closet losses. Is there anything more to share about automation and how it might affect MHOs?

I think the TL;DR here is that we need to start hearing some reasons why MHOs are valued assets and less about what a drain and a drag they are. I love what we do with and for our MHO, but it is demoralizing even to an optimist like me to hear only about difficulties and cuts. Let's look ahead to what we can hope for with the new system.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/22/2021 07:58 PM CDT
>>MHOs are being treated as a liability instead of as an asset.

This keeps coming up, so I want to try to address this. I do not think of MHOs as a liability AT ALL. While the system itself was broken and stretched well beyond the original intentions of MHOs, it is NOT a liability.

MHOs and their officers and members bring a vibrancy to the lands that cannot be replicated or replaced, in my opinion.

I understand it is very easy to make the leap from a sweeping, massive change like we just did to the thought that it must mean we feel the entire system is a liability, but that is just not the case.

>>All the future forward suggestions

-- these are all on my list to review and see what is and is not feasible.

I literally need to get all of this caught up and completed before I can start considering how to do all of this. Yes, I have a TON of ideas, and yes, I'd LOVE to share them, but I haven't even begun doing a feasibility review with my SGM team, because I need to get these older, backlogged items and system changes done.

I worry that if I share some of my brainstormed ideas prematurely, if they do not come to fruition, or if they take too long, I will actually have done more harm than good in getting your hopes up, and I don't want to do that.

Yes, this means I'm asking you guys to trust me somewhat sight unseen, but for anyone who was involved in the CHE system prior to 2007, you may know that there was a huge HUGE backlog of promises, work, and heartache. I got hired in 2007 and dedicated a few years to just cracking through that and finding ways to remind CHEs they were valued and valuable, and it seemed to work at the time (and when I had back-to-back job promotions and started traveling 80% of the time, I found someone else to take over rather than continue to be unable to meet their needs).

I'm not saying this to like say 'ooh, I was all that' because of course, I wasn't. I'm human, I had and have faults, and such, but I do have a proven track record on this, even if it was a decade-plus ago. [I won't say 14 years, I won't say 14 years, that sounds like a really long time, and it's been 10 minutes...I won't say 14 years]

>>I think the TL;DR here is that we need to start hearing some reasons why MHOs are valued assets and less about what a drain and a drag they are.

A lot of why I've been explaining is NOT to show how much of a drain/drag YOU GUYS are, but to show why the system needed changing. I've also spent a fair amount of bandwidth reminding everyone that I value what you are doing. I know those are just words for now, but I am going to try to prove that with all my heart.

And because there was some discussion on the RP channel in discord, I did a post there, and I'll just copy it here, because I want to make sure you know I'm going to try not to put things there, that I don't share here in the official forums.

DISCORD BABBLE:
Hey guys, just as an FYI, I am reading here, but I want to mostly let you guys have your place/space here, and make sure I post on the forums so I don't miss putting something official-like there and accidentally just doing it here.
I am working on a post right now...so this won't be untoward to say though...
I love MHOs. I love the MHO officers and members. I LOVE WHAT YOU DO FOR THE GAME.
I seriously do
I am so pro-PRO, it's not even funny
I will fight anyone who ever says MHOs should go away, yes, even if my bosses said it (which they haven't, and I doubt they will), I will scream at them until I know they've heard me and are brainwashed into my way of thinking
What you do is IMMEASURABLE...it really is. You bring depth and life, and I am always in awe of what you do.
I want to get this backlog done, this old stuff fixed (I know it hurts, I really do), and then I want to face forward, polish up my ideas after reviewing for feasibility, and get suggestions and thoughts to you...but I can't really do the latter until I get some of the old stuff done.
Okay...that was a way longer novel than I meant to say....back to my shift and my post-writing that will say some of that in a different way. I just wanted you to know you're loved, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
END DISCORD BABBLE

Definitely keep ideas flowing -- I just keep adding them to my wiki so I won't forget.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/23/2021 12:01 AM CDT
With regard to automating raffles, Leelan had a raffle table she was going to give to House Brigatta, but then she ended up leaving before doing so. I am sure someone else has one here, I know it was set up for a player to run.

~Berkana

"Yet from those flames; No light, but rather darkness visible."
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/23/2021 12:06 AM CDT
>>I worry that if I share some of my brainstormed ideas prematurely, if they do not come to fruition, or if they take too long, I will actually have done more harm than good in getting your hopes up, and I don't want to do that.

Thanks, Xynwen -- I knew, or at least had a feeling, that there were ideas you couldn't really talk too much about for this very reason. I wasn't here in 2007 to see what it was like then, but it's reassuring to know that you were and that you had a hand in easing a previous rough transition for an existing game system.

I also appreciate the monumental work it is to manage MHOs and the transition from the old system to the new one, whatever shape it may take. The glimpses behind the curtain are valuable, and I hope you take that away from my posts as well, that we all welcome the transparency. Elysani and you and every other GM who's wrestled this unruly beast have done masterful work, often under more trying circumstances than we will ever know, I'd imagine!

I made a list earlier of things I'd like to see, but I think there's one thing at the top of everyone's list: Tackling the rebuilding instead of each other as this is not a GM-versus-player scenario. You clearly have a lot of passion for the project, and you know we do as well; you've read it in all these posts. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm going to pour that passion into MHO events, constructive suggestions, and coordination with fellow MHO officers to keep the heart and soul of something we all love so much together.

Please do let us know about good news on the horizon. Growing pains are easy to bear when we can see something glorious taking shape.

Thank you for all you do, and Elysani for all she's done!

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/23/2021 08:37 AM CDT

I've already worked with some MHOs to lend them my raffle/auction block for an event and I am happy to do so for others. Silvergate will always be happy to partner on an event as well to help out with resources. You all know how to find me or one of SG's officers.

I've said my piece on this subject and I really have nothing else to say or add when it comes to the changes. I hope there is a bright future for MHOs because I personally feel they, past and present ones, have added a great deal to the fabric of Elanthia.

Katara
Re: Ways to support MHO events 04/25/2021 11:26 AM CDT

>>SPINNER: There's no way to select someone for a random prize unless you happen to have a spinner item. A very kind person gave one to the TownCrier last year, so we have one!<<

I inquired about this to our CHE Guru and was told that spinners were not available and if I recall correctly, there were no talks about making them accessible. I bought our House's spinner out of my own pocket, it was in the millions.

On another note - Luxelle - I had no idea that The Town Crier was an MHO. I would be willing to donate for our monthly Town Crier message. I also suggested that helping to write the "event execute" messaging for silver would be a huge boon for your organization.

I'd love to see a verb instituted that would enable anyone to deposit into a CHE or MHO endowment.