Can't log in 04/21/2020 02:22 AM CDT
My account was working fine until this morning. I can't log in via Stormfront any more. Note: I had been using lich for quick game entry. When I go to lich now, it doesn't show any of my characters listed.

When I try to log in via Stormfront the usual way, without lich, nothing happens. Trying to redownload Stormfront doesn't work. It looks as though I may need to Re-acquire Active-X? How do I do that? Note that I can still log into the game using the web browser, but that is really unplayable, at least for me.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Can't log in 04/21/2020 12:26 PM CDT
Send me the most current debug-<numbers>.log file from your lich\temp directory that failed. I might be able to ferret something out from that. Also, did you uninstall or reinstall Simutronics Game Entry, SGE? Or Simutronics Game Launcher? I am not recommending it, just asking - sometimes that can change things a bit.

Doug
Re: Can't log in 04/21/2020 01:39 PM CDT
I am technologically handicapped; I have no idea what debug numbers even are.
U get the message that Active-X is not installed; how do I reinstall it?

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
Re: Can't log in 04/21/2020 02:49 PM CDT
You don't enable activeX any more. This is a red herring and doesn't deserve your focus.

The 'debug-<numbers>' means the title of the file is something like - debug-2020-04-21-11-34-53.log The -<numbers> part means it varies. For example, that's the title of my file from today, at 11:34:53 this morning, when I logged in.

Open Windows Explorer and go to your LICH directory, then go to you TEMP directory there, and you'll find them. Sort from newest to oldest and send me the top one.

Doug
Re: Can't log in 04/21/2020 02:54 PM CDT
You could have some sort of corrupted OS file that can't read the necessary .dll needed to successfully launch whatever app is calling up the use of activex. Or some kind of corrupted file for SF itself that calls upon activex and the file can't be read.

Activex itself isn't a program you install or reinstall. It's some kind of framework software that it's mainly utilized with Internet Explorer in this day and age. I don't know how SF is coded, but it clearly requires activex for some kind of scripting needs.

When you tried to redownload SF, what exactly happened? Nothing? You get an error?

Also, when you try to launch SF, what does the error say?

Try to be as specific as possible. Copy any error(s) you see word for word because the terminology one person uses can mean a different thing to another person.

Like when someone says they start a program and the computer crashes.
Does crash mean:
The program closed and you're back to looking at the desktop? Or
The computer restarted on its own? Or
The computer completely powered off and you had to push the power button to turn the computer back on?
Re: Can't log in 04/22/2020 05:33 AM CDT
When I click on the debug part I get this stuff :

2020-04-22 04:23:13: info: Lich 4.6.37
2020-04-22 04:23:13: info: Ruby 2.0.0
2020-04-22 04:23:13: info: i386-mingw32
2020-04-22 04:23:13: info: no force-mode info given
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: using custom launch command: (enter custom launch command)
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: gamehost: storm.gs4.game.play.net
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: gameport: 10024
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: game: STORM
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: launcher_cmd: (enter custom launch command)
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: launcher_cmd: Win32.ShellExecute(:lpOperation => "open", :lpFile => nil, :lpDirectory => nil, :lpParameters => nil)
2020-04-22 04:23:18: info: waiting for client to connect...
2020-04-22 04:23:48: error: timeout waiting for client to connect
2020-04-22 04:23:53: info: exiting...

Re: Can't log in 04/22/2020 05:38 AM CDT
When I try to download Stormfront, I get a message "download blocked" and again, the part about not having Active-X is displayed in red.

Re: Can't log in 04/22/2020 06:12 AM CDT
>When I try to download Stormfront, I get a message "download blocked" and again, the part about not having Active-X is displayed in red.

What browser are you using? Chrome, firefox, edge, internet explorer?

Try using a different browser and are if you still have issues downloading SF.

Also, are you using Windos and if so, what windows version are you running (7, 8, 8.1, 10)? And have you installed any windows update since this problem started?

Win 10 can really screw the pooch when it updates at times. I had a Win 10 update on my work computer literally break the functionality of the print spooler and I couldn't print anything for work until the IT guy uninstalled the update.
I've also had Win 10 updates break windows so bad before I couldn't repair the OS, I had to format and do a clean Windows install (sadly, this actually happened twice to me on my Plex server. Thank goodness I keep a backup). So, odd things can happen with Win 10 updates.
Re: Can't log in 04/22/2020 08:18 AM CDT

Uncheck the box that says "Custom Launch Command" on the Lich Login Window and try again.

Doug
Re: Can't log in 04/22/2020 09:55 PM CDT
BBRodgiguez:

Using Win 10, using chrome. I think we had an automatic update recently; several buttons on my toolbar changed function, and I can't seem
to find Explorer browser anymore. The button for that was one of the ones that got changed (:

Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 07:01 AM CDT
Doug:

I didn't have the custom launch command turned on. However,just to be thorough, I turned it on, then turned it off again. This is what I get now with debug.

2019-07-07 16:34:00: info: Lich 4.6.37
2019-07-07 16:34:00: info: Ruby 2.0.0
2019-07-07 16:34:00: info: i386-mingw32
2019-07-07 16:34:00: info: no force-mode info given

Maybe just the top line is what you need?

Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 07:39 AM CDT
Doug & BBRodriguez:

I am an idiot. I did a system restore and now things seem to be working again. Duh!
Thank you both for your generous attempts to help; sorry for the waste of your time.

Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 08:01 AM CDT
>Using Win 10, using chrome. I think we had an automatic update recently; several buttons on my toolbar changed function, and I can't seem
to find Explorer browser anymore. The button for that was one of the ones that got changed (:

If Windows 10 did update around the time this issue started, it could be the culprit. I do have another question for you.

Do you recall if you made any other big changes to your computer - installed new program or uninstalled a program since this issue started?

If you answer "No" to my question you should look into trying to correct things and hopefully a couple ideas that come to mind, one will get things fixed for you.

First idea is that Windows maybe broke some important file and it needs to be fixed or replaced. Important system files can be checked and Windows can then try to fix/replace them. You need to do the following:
1) In the search bar type in: cmd
2) Then right click on the CMD app icon that shows up and in the option menu, choose "Run as administrator"
3) You should now have the command prompt window (smaller black box window) open up
4) In the cmd window type in the following: sfc /scannow
5) Then press ENTER
Depending on your system this could take a few minutes to half hour or so. If any system files are bad/missing, hopefully Windows can get them fixed/replaced.
If the scan finishes and says it it found corrupt files and repaired them - try launching SF and see if any change.
If the scan finishes and says no problems found OR it said it fixed problems, but you still cannot use SF - then perhaps a more drastic measure is needed.

Second idea is to try and run a system restore back to a day/time before you ran into the issue. A system restore attempts to put Windows back to a known working condition. Any update that Windows does it should automatically generate a system restore point before any updates are installed. So, if SF was working without any issues the day before you started this thread on 4/21/2020, you want to try using a system restore point as that same day or the next one just before that day.
1) In the search bar type in: create a restore point
2) Press ENTER or click on the "create a restore point" app
3) You should now see a Systems Properties window show up and on the right side, about 1/3 of the way do you should see a button that say "System Restore..." - click on that button
4) A System Restore window will now open, click on the NEXT button
5) You'll see a list populate restore points your system has (if you only see 1 restore point or you just want to see all available you can check the box on the bottom that say "Show more restore points")
6) You want to pick a date/time before you started having issues and then click on the NEXT button
7) The next window that comes up will ask you to confirm your restore point choice. If you have the correct restore point picked, click on the FINISH button.

Doing a system restore can take a bit of time - could be a good 10, 20, 30 or so minutes before your computer is back up and at the desktop.

Remember, you want to pick a restore point before the issue started happening.

IF doing a system restore fixes the problem, you now know that something happened after that specific date/time of the restore point that broke SF and ActiveX. What exactly is hard to say. Hopefully one of these two things gets you back and operational with SF. Keep us posted.
Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 08:05 AM CDT
>I am an idiot. I did a system restore and now things seem to be working again. Duh!
>Thank you both for your generous attempts to help; sorry for the waste of your time.

I've been working on getting the kids ready for their remote schooling this morning, seems you beat me to the ideas I suggested to get things fixed for you.

Good to hear that the system restore worked for you.

I bet a Windows update broke something - if Windows updates on you again and breaks things again, you'll have to let us know. You may need to find out what update is specifically breaking things for you and then you'd have to go about blocking that update. Hopefully no more problems.
Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 08:21 AM CDT
"Hopefully no more problems." -- BBRodriguez

I know, right?! I mean, sure, Windows updates are important and security and all, but we need to be able to get our GAME on here, and Redmond is getting in the way of that....

Nothing substantive to add--I am not tech person--but I thought the perspective was amusing. :)
Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 11:34 AM CDT
Looks like it is most likely a Windows update issue.

Apparently MS pushed out a security update and folks have been reporting a lot of issues, crashes, programs not working, BSODs.....

Anyway, update KB4549951 was pushed out on April 14th and folks systems have been auto updating.

THROGG - doing a system restore means that this update was probably removed from your computer. Which means, it is most likely going to get updated again on your computer. It may or may not cause issues again, so just be aware of it.

If you want to, you can use Microsoft's hide update tool - it will let you chose any update that might be problematic so you can block it from downloading. You can find the tool here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates

Just click on the link "download this troubleshooter" on that microsoft page to download the tool. You should just need to run the tool and follow the steps, then look for update KB4549951 as the update you want to block.
Re: Can't log in 04/23/2020 11:44 AM CDT
>>Maybe just the top line is what you need?

Glad to hear you have restored functionality. Definitely follow the suggestions about disabling the update that may have caused this.

If you mean the top line's output showing the date / time - yes, I would have asked again for the most recent. Fortunately, your first log showing the use of an enabled but 'default / blank' custom launch command had the right date on it for the post. If you mean the top line's output showing the version of Lich you're running, not so much.

I will always recommend you stay current with the Lich releases unless one causes a problem for your scripts. At the same time, there is no way an older version of Lich would suddenly just fold and not do anything. So I discounted the version as the cause of your pain right out of the gate - while making a note after getting you running to also recommend you update.

Enjoy!

Doug