Confusion with new Mac 06/15/2020 03:38 AM CDT
Hello. I just got a new iMac today, to replace the old one. I find first that the version of Avalon I was using (4.1.5) will no longer work. So I downloaded the newer version, but I am having some problems.

First, what do I need to transfer and to where to get all of my macros and settings back? The new Mac OS (Catalina) seems to work differently. I am not able to get my macros to work.

Second, does YASSE work with the new version (4.3.5)? If not, does 4.3.5 have a script engine--although the previous built-in script engines in Avalon would never work for me anyway. And is there any information anywhere on how the script engine works in Avalon if there is one?

Thanks for any help.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/15/2020 08:39 PM CDT
OK, so I figured out the macros part. But I still have a major issue with scripting.

I don't know how the Avalon native script engine works for anyone. It always moves so fast that it outruns my scripts (and yes, I have the three type-ahead lines). The "waitfor" command also does not seem to work at all. I don't know if Lich would work any better, but I know almost nothing about messing around in the terminal and am very nervous about trying to install it, especially with all of the stuff that seems to be necessary for using it with newer version of the Mac OS.

Any suggestions or help at all? I don't think I could adjust to playing without scripts. And right now that means I am not sure of how I can really play at all.

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/15/2020 08:55 PM CDT
I can help with the Lich aspect.

But before we go there - have you tried just copying over your old Avalon app, and the appropriate script directory? Is that even an option any more for you?

I know there are problems with native scripting in Avalon, but I don't know where the staff is on addressing them.

Doug
Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/15/2020 09:54 PM CDT
>But before we go there - have you tried just copying over your old Avalon app, and the appropriate script directory? Is that even an option any more for you?

I tried downloading the old version of the app, but it will not work on OS Catalina. I still have the old scripts, but YASSE will not load in the new version of Avalon.

--David

Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/16/2020 08:08 AM CDT
Yes, the 32-bit exclusion. Ixix was kind enough to cut a new Avalon, but the scripting engine didn't (doesn't?) work. And I've never gotten YASSE to work with it.

In truth, though, I never tried very hard, since I can get Lich installed on Mac OS 'easily' enough.

Doug
Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/16/2020 10:00 AM CDT
Avalon seems to parse the old script files right, but as already noted it just breezes through the WAITFOR/WAITRT commands. It's been awhile since I tried one so I could be wrong.
Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/16/2020 02:17 PM CDT
>Avalon seems to parse the old script files right, but as already noted it just breezes through the WAITFOR/WAITRT commands. It's been awhile since I tried one so I could be wrong.

No, you are not wrong. That is a large part of the problem.

--David

Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/16/2020 02:17 PM CDT

Ok, thanks, Doug. I guess I'll try to install Lich later today and see what happens.

--David

Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/17/2020 03:37 PM CDT
First off, I want to give a huge shout out to Doug. He helped me get Lich installed, and it all seems to be running fine. I have not actually done anything with it yet, but assuming it works well for me, that will allow me to keep playing. That's not hyperbole; I really can't imagine playing this game without scripts, and since I could no longer use YASSE and the Avalon native script engine does not work well, I was wondering if I was going to have to unsubscribe. So someone at Simu needs to send Doug a thank you, because he just saved three premium accounts for you. :). And in any case, Doug definitely has my thanks.

On another note, it would be really nice if someone could fix the Avalon native script engine. It seems so close. I was using it for a bit last night (since I did not have Lich installed yet), and for short scripts it is perfect. But for travel, for alchemy, for anything that takes any time or is at all complicated, it does not work because it goes so fast and blows through waitfor commands and such. I know nothing about programming, but it seems like it would be pretty fixable, and having a built-in script engine for Mac would be a great thing.

--David

Re: Confusion with new Mac 06/17/2020 04:03 PM CDT
A: Doug <3 <3 <3
He's the best!

B: Avalon script timing and waits and stuff ... I remember having this trouble, too, and found some workaround, but I forget what it was. It was deffo like 10 days of my life I will never get back, tho! I was so frustrated with little things, I felt it was better to go to Wine and StormFront. Which Doug (See Point A) was such a dear and helped get running for me.

I'm very glad your technology did not evolve past GS after all!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.