Prev_page Previous 1
FE Confusion - .sal files 12/15/2019 09:33 PM CST
Okay, so things I thought were so second nature I would never forget...I have forgotten. I've downloaded the launcher, signed in to play.net, pick the character, pick the FE, click on 'play' -- and I get a pop up to save a <charactername>.sal file. It defaults to the Simu folder but won't let me save it there, so I created a new folder. I can save it there. Cool. But then I have to click on that dl'd file to open it up and launch the game. If I'm using SF, it remembers what my settings were and stuff, so okay. If I'm using Wizard FE, it doesn't but if I can get around that by loading the 'general' one I had saved.

Then the fun starts...I log out. Then log back in. And it wants to save a brandnew .sal file of that character and I have to click on that to launch. It never just launches.

I don't recall this before, and I'm confused. What's up? What am I missing? Thanks!
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 08:20 AM CST
If I recall correctly, The gemstone launcher wants to install in the windows Program Files (x86) folder by default. The problem being that the program won't have the rights it needs when you go to launch the game. You can get around this by installing the launcher someplace where the program can have full rights when it runs, such as underneath your Users\<username> folder. For my current install on the computer I am on at the moment, I have everything installed under D:\Games\SIMU\

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 08:23 AM CST
Okay, I'll reinstall tonight in a different folder and see if that helps. Thanks!
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 08:29 AM CST
Welcome back!

Oh, and smack Jim around to sell me that other poison ambushing dagger.... :)
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 11:25 AM CST

Welcome back!

Oh, and smack Jim around to sell me that other poison ambushing dagger.... :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not even sure where that is at this time Robert. Soooo many changes, I'm completely overwhelmed. It's been ten years plus since
I seriously played... Example... WTF happened to my 605 haste on my polearm wielding mage??? (blink)

On topic, thanks for the reply PeregrineFalcon/Robert, I'll have to see about moving those files from the (x86) directory. Do I
need to do a total re-install or can I just move the directory out of there to a different directory?

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 11:27 AM CST
I would reinstall from the beginning vs. trying to move the files to a new folder unless you know everywhere that the path might be referenced (I don't).

Fortunately the full install process still goes pretty quick.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 11:44 AM CST
I would reinstall from the beginning vs. trying to move the files to a new folder unless you know everywhere that the path might be referenced (I don't).

Fortunately the full install process still goes pretty quick.

-- Robert

>>>>

Thanks! I'll snag all the files I did create with highlights, macros etc then. I'm having hazy, rusty memories of how to do that. :)
Hate to waste the couple hours I spent working on those.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 11:47 AM CST
Script / Macro files and things like that you can just copy over to the new folder. :-)

-- Robert

Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 12:28 PM CST
Script / Macro files and things like that you can just copy over to the new folder. :-)

-- Robert

>>>>

Yup, that's what I did. Unfortunately it's still causing the .Sal creation issue each time I try to log into the game.
I have to click and allow it to run and tell it where to save, and each time I log in it re-creates the Name.Sal file again.
You can overwrite the previous one, or it will name the new one Name1.Sal, and the next time it's Name2.Sal etc. It does this
with each character, and each time. :/ The "Name" listed above is my placeholder for the actual character name I'm logging
into the game with.

Honestly, not sure where it actually wants the .Sal file to go. It feels like it should be a temp file that creates just when you're
logging into the game. Who knows, I'm much much to rusty with this stuff.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 12:58 PM CST
Welcome back!

Which OS? Or if you know how - you can associate the SAL files with the launcher in Control Panel.

And remember in Wizard you can save / auto switch profiles to the logged in character (under options, where you turn the music on and off. ;) )

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 01:01 PM CST
I think at one point I either checked or un-checked the "pretend to be WinXP" box (which now that I think about it may only be available on a shortcut, not the program executable itself), and that <did something>...

(Worlds of help, I know. But once I get it settled on a computer, I don't think about it any more. It's working! :)
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 01:56 PM CST
Welcome back!

Which OS? Or if you know how - you can associate the SAL files with the launcher in Control Panel.

And remember in Wizard you can save / auto switch profiles to the logged in character (under options, where you turn the music on and off. ;) )

Doug

>>>>>

Thanks Doug. Windows 10 Pro, latest version/update. I was going through and setting up the auto save etc under options. I'm just finding the .Sal
file a PITA currently. Heathyr is running into the same .Sal problem with Stormfront as I am with the Wizard. Walk me through what you're talking about
with the control panel if you can. I don't want to be a bother for any of you, but I do appreciate the feedback. I'm just wanting to get this thing
set up and working without the following...

1. The constant adding of "new" sal files.
2. Preventing the overwriting the existing one if that's important.
3. The repeated need to give it authorization to actually work.

Also I'm still not sure where the launcher wants to "save" the Sal file to. Which directory/folder that it wants to be in. Anyhow help is appreciated.
Really regretting getting rid of all of my files, paperwork, notes etc on GS ten years ago. I should have just tossed them into a box along with a
jump drive of the various files.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 02:14 PM CST
Welcome back, ASHBY. :)

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 02:29 PM CST
We're always happy to help, especially such stalwarts of history. It'll be good to see you striding the lands, again!

First - SAL files. You get a new one every time you connect. There's not a 'permanent' SAL file. They're intended to be temporary. So we need to tackle things in a couple of ways. But - don't worry about where they are going - they have a lifespan of that connection and that's all.

You can quickly check to be sure SAL files are associated properly on Windows 10 by clicking on your Windows button and clicking on the Settings gear. Click on Apps. That will bring you to the Apps and Features portion of the Win10 control panel.

On the left panel - click Default Apps.
Scroll down - click Choose Default Apps by Filetype
Scroll down - check to see if '.sal' is associated with Simutronics Launcher (it should be)

Then you're done.

Now, if what you're experiencing is a window that pops up that says "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" with a blue bar - That's User Account Control. The SAL file is doing what it's supposed to. And you can change the User Account Control (UAC) sensitivities so that you don't see that window any more - it just rolls on in. But that is a security risk, so it's something to carefully consider.

If you DO want to change your UAC settings:

If you're still in the 'Default Apps by Filetype' - click the back arrow in the upper left corner.
If you're already at a screen in your control panel with a search bar, or after clicking that back arrow - type UAC in the search box.
You'll get another window with a slider. You can set your UAC to 'off' by moving the slider all the way down.

Please note, I do not recommend this. I just accept that I have to click YES when I get the UAC prompt. It's a global setting, sadly.

Finally - if you're getting a window with an orange bar that says something to the effect of 'administrator' privileges - that's a whole different issue, and Robert / Krakii's post about changing the app to run in Windows 7 emulation mode takes care of that. But - you shouldn't need it, I don't believe. I suspect you're seeing the blue bar window.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 02:42 PM CST
We have color-coded Windows stuff to help us track down solutions now? (I'm guessing that's a Win10 thing, so I haven't seen it yet.)

If mine is bright red, is that the, "Yeah, call Doug" color?

<flee!>
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 03:14 PM CST
Well, hello, both of you!

<3

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 03:22 PM CST

Very nice, thanks Doug. Followed your directions, that did it. The one pop up due to the global UAC of course I'm not expecting to go away.
It doesn't bother me really, it was the sal file and how it seemed to be an ever growing (though small file) thing. I just wanted to get the other pop
up that was preventing the launcher from working until I double clicked on it in regards to the SAL file.

It does appear to want to make a SAL file for each character that I log in with. At least it's overwriting the previous one now instead of trying to
create Krakii1.sal, Krakii2.sal, Krakii3.sal etc in the Simu folder. :) Now to remember everything I've forgotten and learn all the changes. I'm noting
quite a few things different about wizards and sorcerers in regards to spell lists that I'll have to check out. Anyhow thank you all for the help.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 03:33 PM CST
Welcome, anytime!

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 03:34 PM CST
Oh, I should mention two things:

1) Seek out the Mentors, they have a lot of inside insights that can help shorten your re-acclimation.
2) Check out gswiki.play.net for a wealth of information - some of it not completely accurate (player researched) but a great go-to to see what's what.

If you haven't found these two yet, great starting points.

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 06:55 PM CST
Oh, I should mention two things:

1) Seek out the Mentors, they have a lot of inside insights that can help shorten your re-acclimation.
2) Check out gswiki.play.net for a wealth of information - some of it not completely accurate (player researched) but a great go-to to see what's what.

If you haven't found these two yet, great starting points.

Doug

>>>>>>>>

Feel like the Wiki's already become my second home. lol.

J

p.s: ((waves to Jen)) Heya! :)
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/16/2019 09:29 PM CST
Heyas, everyone! Fun to be back...though I'm totally lost. And yep, between Robert/Doug, got it all set so thank you!

Now I need...macros and travel scripts (I don't use lich - it's just hardwired in me I can't!)
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 06:07 AM CST
It's a different game and a different time. I thought I'd never use anything like Lich (I refused Psinet!). I was convinced to get Lich after I returned two and a half years ago. Gotta be honest - I love it and write my own scripts now. It's been explicitly supported by some dev GMs even (i.e. why would we develop that when Lich already does it?). It's very few and far between that people don't use it. You can turn off all the chatting portions and only use the travel scripts and map portion.

You certainly don't have to use it by any means. There are a handful of people who don't. There just aren't a ton of resources anymore for writing macros and travel scripts because the focus is on ;go2 and ;xnarost/;narost. Roblar is a notable player who doesn't use Lich and as a fellow Mentor may be willing to share some travel scripts and things. I can connect you on Discord if you aren't already reconnected. (ArmyJen#0001)

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 08:10 AM CST
Thanks for the info, Jen! I may try Lich at some point, but really prefer to remember how to do stuff first...I feel positively antique though!
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 08:52 AM CST
For what it's worth: I still print paper maps and squint to figure out "is it 'go trail' or 'go trunk'?!?" while I'm keyboarding my way through areas. :)

(Although honesty compels me to say that nowadays I'm more likely to bring up the PDF in a side monitor and just zoom in. Which is WAY easier to do with Windows than it was with DOS. <nod>)
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 12:24 PM CST

I think that Heathyr and I might be confusing Psinet with Lich as an aside. It's amazing how much forget and what you still retain after a decade of not
playing as an aside. Also how much you took for granted because you just knew it. Wow. I have had some odd fun pauses as an aside, ten to twenty second
freezes a couple times and one actual disconnect while out hunting with Heathyr. This common these days?

Also, Robert, do you use Wizard and if so is there a way to copy over highlight strings over to other character saves? I'm trying to set up "common"
highlights across the board for my varied characters once I get around to doing what I do, which is dabbling in all classes. lol. Oh and on the poison
dagger, I'm having a memory of Ken/Ciston getting it from me when I got the hell two handed sword that attuned, the black moaning, sword that I think
that Tayvin/Bill had last I heard? Don't quote me on that though, too many years have rolled by for me to be sure. I'll keep an eye out for it though
as I get organized.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 12:44 PM CST
The easiest way to do it is either to copy/paste the file (so your directory now has "Celter - Copy.HIS") and then rename it to the other character (requires you to delete that existing Other.HIS first), OR to open both files/Select All/Copy from one/Paste into the other.
Be aware that both will set ALL of the highlights to be the same regardless of which character you're on.

However, no, there is no way IN THE WIZARD to share them. (Only the 'Global Names' is used across all characters, found in: "Names.HIS")

I wrote a script in Paradox (my desktop database) to "look in that directory, open all not-Names.HIS files, copy the color & string AND NAME IT'S FROM [Krakii vs. the Thief vs. the Bard] and record them in this table over here."
Then I went through and found all of the duplicates, decided which one I was going to keep/deleted the rest, and from the resulting file used the second script to "open all not-Names.HIS files and make them all identical from this list over here."

So all of my (non-Krakii) characters HAVE the highlight strings for disarming & picking [from the Thief], they just never SEE them (because they don't do those actions). And both of those characters have the Bard- & Monk- & Fighter-specific strings, because.
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 01:36 PM CST

OK, yeah now that's what I'm remembering. I'm starting to recall that I would open a note file and copy them over one line at a time. Ugh. lol

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 02:08 PM CST
You know, Lich doesn't do anything for you until you ask it to.

I installed it for maps. There was no help channel on LNet at the time, and it was a good month or two before I turned Lnet on to LISTEN to Prime

It must have taken me a couple more months before I actually sent a message on LNet that was public.

Anything after Maps and LNet is gravy. Use as little or as much as you like. Lich sits quietly on top of StormFront/Wizard/whatever until you want it to do something.

So you can still run SF scripts, use ESP, use your macros, etc. There are still SF scripts I have never converted to Lich that I use frequently!

Lnet gives you not only a Help channel now, but also the TownCrier Newsfeed. :) Just sayin' I might be a little biased there.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 02:53 PM CST
>You certainly don't have to use it by any means. There are a handful of people who don't.

*raises hand*

You can still find old Wizard travel scripts here and there with a little searching. Probably 75% of the old Gemstone websites are defunct now, but not all of them.

Avaia, player of
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/17/2019 06:18 PM CST

Good deal nice to know Avaia. :) Also, nice to see you're still around.

J
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/18/2019 02:09 PM CST

If you can find it, SBC ( Sarahs' Bus Company )is a great non-lich travel script. Not as amazing as ;go2 but will take you to almost anywhere in Elanthis.

Goldstr
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/18/2019 02:42 PM CST
Oooh SBC still works? Sweet. I will track it down. This whole process is reasonably good for my always delayed computer file reorg project too -- I am hoping I will find my old scripts/macros shoved into some long-forgotten and buried folder, lol.
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/18/2019 02:53 PM CST
>Oooh SBC still works? Sweet. I will track it down. This whole process is reasonably good for my always delayed computer file reorg project too -- I am hoping I will find my old scripts/macros shoved into some long-forgotten and buried folder, lol.

Something to think about is to email the files to yourself using a web-based email like gmail. Then it is always in your email history and thus retrievable from anywhere to anywhere...

Or if you have a website hosted somewhere, like GoDaddy, you can also use that for some file storage too. Also easily retrievable from anywhere so long as you can FTP to it.

~Contemplar~
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/18/2019 03:05 PM CST
I make no claims, reps or warranties about the state / condition / functionality / worthiness of anything listed below. But if you'd (general 'you') would like a copy, let me know where to ship it off to.

08/30/2011 08:25 PM 80 bard.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 695 f.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 2,444 garbage.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 4,271 Gemmad.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,032 group.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 32,958 heal.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 87 imbedded.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 4,315 l.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 58,002 maps.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 32,017 messages.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 2,841 name.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 4,207 ogemmad.cmd
07/26/2018 02:07 PM <DIR> old scripts
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 0 Path.Txt
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 11,197 qms.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 230,701 qrs.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 317,205 sbc.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 892 sc.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,642 Selfprep.Cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 48,707 tempmap.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 9,657 test.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 4,370 ttswim.Cmd
01/06/2018 01:26 PM 1,399 w2i.cmd
And in old scripts:
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 3,088 bladegol.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,454 bladeprep.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 601 fireelemental.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 10,851 fromEN.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 11,953 fromEN.wiz
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 32,958 heal.Wiz
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,070 heresafe.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,264 icetowehn.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,026 land0to1.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 3,610 lantosol.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 596 lavablade.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 932 lavablade2.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 630 lavablade3.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 765 lavagolem.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 2,440 movegol.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 2,387 movegol903.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 4,196 moveinner.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 10,313 newtest.cmd.sav
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 67 newtest.Wiz
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 2,245 skin.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 3,594 soltolan.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 12,594 toEN.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 12,721 toEN.wiz
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 516 tsarkblade.cmd
08/30/2011 08:25 PM 1,245 wehntoice.cmd

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/18/2019 07:04 PM CST
>Good deal nice to know Avaia. :) Also, nice to see you're still around.

Thanks! I've taken my breaks here and there, but have been back a few years now and for the foreseeable future. Good to see you two dipping your toes back into Elanthian waters.

Avaia, player of
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/19/2019 12:51 PM CST
>Something to think about is to email the files to yourself using a web-based email like gmail. Then it is always in your email history and thus retrievable from anywhere to anywhere...Or if you have a website hosted somewhere, like GoDaddy, you can also use that for some file storage too. Also easily retrievable from anywhere so long as you can FTP to it.

Helpful for someone not familiar with that of course so thanks! However, for me, the issue isn't that I don't know about those options and more an organization thing. I used to keep all my emails for various reasons, then purged a bunch a couple years ago because it just seemed like I had too much stuff. And I have web-based storage and the like....it's that I had a backup here and a backup there, and rolled them into one, never sorted, ditched things I would "never use again" and so on. So I have about 8 different versions of GS folders and some are duplicates, some aren't, and I may have deleted a 'duplicate' that wasn't once upon a time, etc. Can't save me from myself!
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/19/2019 12:52 PM CST
> I make no claims, reps or warranties about the state / condition / functionality / worthiness of anything listed below. But if you'd (general 'you') would like a copy, let me know where to ship it off to.

Thanks, Doug! Able to ship it to my play.net?

I do love how many names I am recognizing on the boards and in the game. Makes me happy!
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/19/2019 01:32 PM CST
Absolutely! The whole set, or just select files? Some of those are hacks for a very early war-mage. ;)

Doug
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/19/2019 08:49 PM CST
Send 'em all and I'll sort it out!

~Heathyr
Re: FE Confusion - .sal files 12/20/2019 08:39 PM CST

hmmm ... welc'm back

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Prev_page Previous 1