Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 03:06 AM CST
I'd like to be able set tone and or speech then add the dialog from a prompt or on the command line.

For example I'd like to type .softly "Hello there" and my character would say softly "Hello there"

I like to reduce the typing required but still have the versatility to say different things.

Then its just a matter of writing the scripts for each tone I'd like to use, or a script that would allow wildcard input.

Thanks, I really want to step up my role-play, and this would be a great help.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 05:42 AM CST
You can do that, but I'm not sure it saves on typing unless there are particular combinations you want to use. Otherwise you'll be better off using :, ::, =, etc. to set them in the command line. https://gswiki.play.net/SAY_(verb) or HELP SAY in game.

':soft Hello there

Macros probably work better than scripts for this but unless there are particular complex combinations of modifiers e.g. wanting to softly whisper in guildspeech, you want to do frequently, they aren't going to help you much.
Re: Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 07:25 AM CST
Yes, I see what you are saying. Macros not really what I want to use. However with a script you can add action verbs as well. So it would still save typing in those cases. My macros, I dislike using combo keystrokes and all ready have the function keys sets 1-5 used up along with oh no keys for panic buttons via home keys insert keys etc..

Re: Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 01:45 PM CST
A simple one line script like this might work for you. But as Rathboner said, not sure now much that saves you, but if you were using that in conjunction with with other role-playing actions like directional speech then try something this.

Script name: softly

put '::%1 :soft %2

Command line example:
>.softly Contemplar "Wow I cannot believe this really works!"

~Contemplar~
Re: Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 02:53 PM CST
What GM Contemplar said! I have done this since I discovered the speech tones and verbiage.

.soft my text

Luxelle softly says, "...."

You can use it with the verbiage, too. I have never gotten so fancy with the rando punctuations to direct it to someone/thing, too. There's already enough to remember in GS. I like to make sure my solutions for breaking the immersion do not continue to break it by just being too complicated.

5119 will be the year of new verbiage dot commands! I love those!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Is there a way to script tones and speech? 12/08/2018 09:41 PM CST
Yup, thats a good start for me thanks!