Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/02/2018 06:03 PM CST
Bjornsong again...Okay, I have all my scripts now as plaintext and they seem to work without any \ displayed, but am having a new problem now...

It seems they are running too fast and having a typeahead problem, resulting in dropped commands. Is there a way to slow them down without having to add wait or pause commands?
It appears that the script commands are getting ahead of the room descriptions below, and when they are more than 2 commands ahead, they fail.
By the way... I have to use the .k command to kill the script, or it attempts to continue after my next command, so the script appears to still be running but only paused.

Short scripts work fine, but my traveling scripts to move between towns fail after 12 or 14 moves with the following displays...

>.wehntoice
* Script "wehntoice" started...
script> sw
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
You are standing at the northwest corner of the Landing. The path, which bends to the northeast as it moves along this section of the western wall of the fortified trading post. To the west can be seen a dark forest while to the south can be seen a rolling plain of high grasses. You also see a collapsed hole in the ground sealed up by fallen rubble, a tall wooden archery tower and a cobblestoned trail leading to a wooded glade.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, west
>
script> s
script> s
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you progress on this north-south path, the dark forest to the west catches your eye. A little forbidding in its primeval appearance, it is sure to offer a good source of small-game hunting. You also see a mottled rolton hide tent.
Obvious paths: north, south, west
>
script> s
script> s
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
The muted sounds of loud bartering from within Wehnimer's Landing, and the lonely calls of a pair of mated fenvaoks high up in the air vie for your attention as you march along the outer western edge of the town. You also see a kobold, a town guard, a tall wooden archery tower and a reinforced large wooden gate.
Obvious paths: north, south
>
script> s
script> sw
Sorry, you may only type ahead 2 commands.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
To the west, the landscape is gradually changing from a thick dark forest to an open, green grassy plain. You also see a weathered canvas tent.
>
script> s
script> se
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
Clear grassland stretches far to the southwest, a futile lesson in the immensity of Elanith. To the northwest, the grassy plain gives way to a smattering of pines that dot the landscape. Immediately east of you looms the high wooden wall of the Landing which provides you with a sense of security against all the unknown things that may lurk in plain and forest alike.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you stand next to the southwest corner of the Landing, you have an unobstructed view of the plain. Some distance away you can make out the vague figures of shepherdesses tending their flocks of Rolton -- sheep indigenous to the region. Further south the grassy expanse turns hilly, eventually terminating in stark mountains that line the horizon. You also see a rolton, a rolton and a wooden signpost.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, southwest
>
script> s
script> se
script> s
script> s
You can't go there.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
The dirt path bends around the southwest corner of the landing. Far to the east, you can see a thin blue line that must be the river. You also see a heap of splintered timbers and torn hide, a red silk ribbon and a rolton skeleton.
Obvious paths: east, northwest
>
script> s
script> sw
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/02/2018 06:47 PM CST

Try the command 'move' in front of the directions.

move s
move se
move s
move ne
move s

Etc. Move will wait until the new room is displayed before releasing to the next command.

Doug
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/02/2018 10:14 PM CST
The script does use move... as follows...

#From Wehnimer's Landing to Icemule Trace
move sw
move s
move s
move s
move s
move s
move sw
move s
move se
move s
move se
move s
move s
move s
move sw
move s
move s
move se
move se
move se
move se
move se
move e
...etc
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/03/2018 02:56 AM CST
You know you can lay Lich over Avalon, right?

I used it for a few weeks.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/03/2018 10:00 AM CST
Would you send me the script, please? Email doug at play dot net.

Let me take a look at it. I suspect there may yet be some control characters hidden - I want to eyeball it directly.

Doug
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/06/2018 03:01 PM CST
I tried sending you a mailing with the script attached, but the mail server rejected it with the following:
This is the mail system at host sire.simutronics.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<dionketd@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[173.194.192.27] said:
552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a potential
552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit 552-5.7.0
https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our 552 5.7.0
message content and attachment content guidelines. 94si6057377ioj.8 - gsmtp
(in reply to end of DATA command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; sire.simutronics.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 102E520B410D
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; jcchess@cox.net
Arrival-Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 14:56:13 -0600 (CST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; dionketd@gmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content
presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit 552-5.7.0
https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our 552 5.7.0
message content and attachment content guidelines. 94si6057377ioj.8 - gsmtp

Subject: Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead
Date: January 6, 2018 at 12:56:07 PM PST
To: DOUG@play.net

Thanks for taking a look at this…I used this script in storefront with no problems, I suspect Avalon may be having problems with the typeahead.

I don’t see any imbedded characters using console.app, which showed the unprinted stuff in my .rtf file, so this file is plain text.

Attached is the script I use to travel from outside the North Gate in Wehnimer’s Landing, to the South Gate of Icemule Trace.

The script text follows (instead of attachment)
move s
move sw
move s
move sw
move w
move nw
move w
move sw
move s
move go trail
move w
move w
move w
move sw
move w
move w
move nw
move nw
move nw
move nw
move nw
move n
move go path
move ne
move n
move n
move n
move nw
move n
move nw
move n
move ne
move n
move n
move n
move n
move n
move ne
move go gate
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/06/2018 03:04 PM CST
I may try Lich eventually, but am delaying because I may upgrade to the High Sierra (latest version) of OS X on my iMac, and I'm not sure if Lich has been tested in that environment.

What OS version are you using? Can anyone confirm Lich works with the latest iMac OS?

Bjornsong
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/06/2018 03:13 PM CST
It looks like it rejected because the attachment had suffix .cmd so I resent to you the attachment renamed with .txt

Just save the attachment as wehntoice.cmd to test, it's plaintext as verified with my console.app, there is no embedded .rtf stuff.

I doubt there's any problem with the script since I used it successfully in Stormfront.

Bjornsong
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/06/2018 05:26 PM CST
Got your note (thanks) and responded.

It may be a typeahead bug, or it may also be a script engine bug in Avalon. I sent back a response to test.

As far as Lich in High Sierra - it works, I've helped a couple folks with it already. It needs a bit of deliberation, and I need to update some scripts to make things easier. That's on my list, somewhere.

But if you are going to attempt it, number one rule: High Sierra comes with Ruby 2.3. Lich doesn't work (yet) with Ruby 2.3. So the critical activity in this case is to install RBENV (or if you prefer, RVM - but I prefer RBENV personally) and then install Ruby 2.2.5 and make that your Ruby instance for Lich. Then all plays well.

Doug
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 01/07/2018 08:51 AM CST
Seems to be the same issue with your modified script... game messaging follows:

>.w2i
* Script "w2i" started...
script> sw
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
You are standing at the northwest corner of the Landing. The path, which bends to the northeast as it moves along this section of the western wall of the fortified trading post. To the west can be seen a dark forest while to the south can be seen a rolling plain of high grasses. You also see a collapsed hole in the ground sealed up by fallen rubble, a tall wooden archery tower and a cobblestoned trail leading to a wooded glade.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, west
>
script> s
script> s
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you progress on this north-south path, the dark forest to the west catches your eye. A little forbidding in its primeval appearance, it is sure to offer a good source of small-game hunting. You also see a mottled rolton hide tent.
Obvious paths: north, south, west
>
script> s
script> s
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
The muted sounds of loud bartering from within Wehnimer's Landing, and the lonely calls of a pair of mated fenvaoks high up in the air vie for your attention as you march along the outer western edge of the town. You also see a town guard, a tall wooden archery tower and a reinforced large wooden gate.
Also here: Beyrn
>
script> s
script> sw
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
To the west, the landscape is gradually changing from a thick dark forest to an open, green grassy plain. You also see a weathered canvas tent.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
Clear grassland stretches far to the southwest, a futile lesson in the immensity of Elanith. To the northwest, the grassy plain gives way to a smattering of pines that dot the landscape. Immediately east of you looms the high wooden wall of the Landing which provides you with a sense of security against all the unknown things that may lurk in plain and forest alike.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you stand next to the southwest corner of the Landing, you have an unobstructed view of the plain. Some distance away you can make out the vague figures of shepherdesses tending their flocks of Rolton -- sheep indigenous to the region. Further south the grassy expanse turns hilly, eventually terminating in stark mountains that line the horizon. You also see a wooden signpost.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, southwest
>
script> s
script> se
script> s
script> se
script> s
script> s
script> s
[Lower Dragonsclaw, Grasslands]
Leaving the path behind you enter the grasslands. The wind blowing across the knee high grass stretching out before you has a hypnotic effect.
Obvious paths: northeast, south
>
script> sw
>
Far to the north can be seen the trading post of Wehnimer's Landing. From this distance, the town appears a miniature and the hustle and bustle within the walls is but a faint whisper. The scent of wildflowers and grass tells you that you are indeed far from the city. You also see a rutted dirt trail.
Obvious paths: north, southeast
>
The ground slopes slightly here, giving you pause to look up at the thick, puffy cumulus clouds and their shapes, which are continuously altered by the four winds.
Obvious paths: south, northwest
>
Bright multi-hued patches of wildflowers fill the grassy plain to the south as far as you can see. The simple beauty afforded by the vibrant colors astounds you.
Obvious paths: north, southeast
>
script> s
script> s
script> se
script> se
script> se
script> se
You can't go there.
>
>
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
Growing among the warm grasses are a few scattered trees. It is hard to tell if the forest you can see to the west is encroaching upon the grasslands or if it is slowly being harvested and replaced for grazing. You also see a glowing blue-white pylon, a huge imperial wagon and a fortified stone imperial outpost.
Obvious paths: south, northwest
>
script> se
script> e
You can't go there.
>
You can't go there.
>
A rolton ambles in.
>.k
* Script finished.

Thanks for the info on Lich with High Sierra, I'll probably not do it immediately, but plan to eventually :-) Busy with other things right now but it's on my todo list.
Re: Avalon scripts...new problem, type ahead 08/14/2018 02:11 AM CDT
OK, I know I am several months late on this--but does anyone know if this person ever got the type-ahead problems solved?

I have had that same problem with every version of Avalon since the script engine was added--every travel script I have runs for a few commands, usually at most 10-12 and as few as 4 or 5, and then I get the type-ahead message and stops. It's why I still use YASSE. I'd love to be able to use Avalon without YASSE, but I have never been able to get this problem resolved. Unless I put a pause after about every three move commands--which sort of defeats the purpose of a movement script.

As I said, just wondering if there was ever a positive resolution on this.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"