Avalon scripts? 11/15/2016 10:22 PM CST

Help..I really want to update and write scripts before bringing back my older characters who have been asleep a couple of years. Have perused all the postings and have tried to place script with cmd extension in documents/Simutronics/Scripts, but when I type .<scriptname> in game, get the message script not found. Any help for water logged brain? A small sample script and how you get it to talk to game would be much appreciated.
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/15/2016 10:34 PM CST
I am not familiar with Avalon but assuming your FE has an option to Record a script then use that option, move a few rooms, do a few things, then save it and see what it looks like.

Failing that you can try create a new script and then save it (even if you don't put anything into the file) to see where your script files should be saved.

Here is my combat cast macro - primarily it does my stance dancing for me when I cast bolts and handles they odd syntax for 518 for me. It has a number of basic script elements that should get you started - keep in mind that I use Wizard FE but I am guessing the bare bones script language in Avalon should be the same.

Hope that helps!

#Combat Cast

IF_4 GOTO CAST%1
IF_2 GOTO SETTARGET
IF_1 GOTO CAST

ECHO Usage .cc <spell name or number> [Target]
ECHO OR .cc 518 <anything> <anything> element - to cast 518
ECHO OR .cc 504 <anything> <anything> <anything> to open cast 504
goto END

SETTARGET:

match CAST You are now
match END You do not have
match END You can't
put TARGET %2 %3
matchwait

CAST:

match CASTIT You are now
match CASTIT Your rage causes you
put stance offensive
matchwait

CASTIT:
put incant %1
put stance defensive

goto END

#Open Cast 504
CAST504:

PUT PREP 504
PUT CAST

GOTO END

#518 for selected element
CAST518:

match CASTIT518 You are now
put stance offensive
matchwait

CASTIT518:

put PREP 518
put CAST %4
waitfor You gesture
put stance defensive

GOTO END

END:

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/17/2016 10:22 AM CST
Thanks for the script! Unfortunately still can't use it. Avalon is MAC OSX FE which does not seem to have an easy script builder, unlike previous FEs. Am going to try lich and ruby plug in. Thanks again.
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/17/2016 11:33 AM CST
Avalon DOES have pretty much the same scripting commands as Stormfront.

I remember having trouble getting mine to be recognized, too, when I was using Avalon. Did you try the the entire filename including the .cmd with the script name? ie: .dothis.cmd

It sure sounds like you have it in the right place, that was my first hurdle. I had put a script to test with in the scripts/GS folder, it needs to be in the scripts folder. But Lich did bring me a great deal more usefulness.

Ultimately ... I was too frustrated with Avalon, and installed StormFront to run with Wine, and use lich with it for Luxelle. I'm moving towards Profanity, though. Newsby is already 100% Profanity and Lich.

There's an excellent page at the wiki about installing Lich on a Mac - Doug here on the Forums was SO MUCH HELP as I got my new computer up and running.

https://gswiki.play.net/Mac_Installation_-_Lich_(software)

Who knew the most difficult part of switching platforms was not going to be major complicated programs ... but a text game? :(

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/17/2016 05:07 PM CST
Thanks Luxelle

Did the Simutronics scripts/GS and just scripts, but didn't work.

Installed Lich and you're right some pretty useful stuff! Don't want to go to Stormfront with Wine just yet.

Now this is probably a really dumb question since it's been years since I wrote a script. Read the lich tutorial about writing a script using Notepad. What is the equivalent of Notepad on a Mac so that you can save a file with the .lic ext.?
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/17/2016 05:52 PM CST
>>Now this is probably a really dumb question since it's been years since I wrote a script. Read the lich tutorial about writing a script using Notepad. What is the equivalent of Notepad on a Mac so that you can save a file with the .lic ext.?

Textedit is the default Mac OS X simple text editor. You can find it by going to your Spotlight (search in upper right corner) and typing it in. Click on the application and off you go.

IF you're going to get serious about editing Lich scripts, though - I'd recommend you check out http://beebom.com/best-text-editors-for-mac/

You'll be glad you did.

Doug
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/17/2016 06:37 PM CST

... Sublime Text 2 ...

Just saying!

Maybe your scripts aren't plain text, then? Might could be the problem? I'd have to remember how to use Avalon again to test stuff. :whimper:

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/18/2016 10:47 AM CST

Thanks Luxelle and Doug!
Inch by inch, step by step. textEdit on my Mac does not offer a .lic option to save. Downloaded Atom, (thanks for that link!) and was able to run a very simple script. Still lots to learn, but now I'm psyched again about playing Gemstone and bringing back my cleric who I think was last in the Rift, probably dead!
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/19/2016 02:32 AM CST
Avalon does this to me all the time, usually when I have adapted an existing script and renamed and saved it as something new (which I do a lot, often for alchemy recipes). If I try to start a script that I know very well is there and get the "script not found" message, what I do is highlight the entire script, copy it into a blank textedit document, and rename it (usually something very similar) and save it as a new .cmd file. I have no idea why that works, but it always does for me.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Avalon scripts? 11/19/2016 01:15 PM CST
I'm wondering if the actual file name is getting a .txt appended to it ever so helpfully by TxtEdit.

---