ALTER 21, race, and culture 10/07/2021 05:20 PM CDT
According to this, "Racial and cultural items like "an elven-crafted shield" or "a Mhoragian satchel" are fine, since different races and cultures would reasonably have recognizable styles or techniques."

I've had two different merchants back in 2020 deny a request to alter a weapon of mine to have T'Kirem in the short description. Both of them were concerned that they don't know what a T'Kirem style would look like. I did suggest that since they're known as the bear clan, it can have a bear on it. I showed them both the ALTER 21 policy but they still said they didn't want to risk it. One of them said they would submit T'Kirem to QC and that maybe in the future if I get another GALD opportunity I try it then.

I understand the merchant has the final word on if they want to do an alter or not. And I respect if they want to make sure they aren't breaking any rules.

All I want is to know if we can be assured that all racial and cultural items will be acceptable across the board - a Lassaran hat or half-krolvin boots for example.

In all fairness, I will say that if there's any race that probably sounds funny as an alter, it would be something like human trousers. But it does raise the question, according to ALTER 21, are human alters allowed?

^Conrash, dwarven cleric of Icemule and follower of Oleani
Re: ALTER 21, race, and culture 10/07/2021 07:04 PM CDT
I haven't tried human (race) items, but I have made or purchased many imperial (culture) items. Being the "common" people, I personally just assume everything is of human style unless it had some other specific look.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: ALTER 21, race, and culture 10/07/2021 07:42 PM CDT
I'm not addressing the policy question, obviously, but I stand by an earlier suggestion that alterations be submitted in advance and queued up for approval. This would allow staff to approve/reject alterations at their leisure instead of making off-the-cuff policy decisions. And, if only approved items are worked on for GALD, it would speed things up nicely.
Re: ALTER 21, race, and culture 10/13/2021 07:57 AM CDT
Late to answering this, but we do have a QC queue for terms, the difference is they go on there when there is a question on it rather than go on ahead of time. So if you wanted to make a "plastic helmet" and we needed to see if plastic was allowed, the merchant should deny it at that time and then throw it into the queue to get approved/rejected. This process can take a month or two, as it's not super high priority and we have hundreds of terms usually to review a year.

As for the culture term, and Menos mentioned more generalized things like "elven armor" or "dwarven warblade" would be fine, but a "Dragach-style broadsword" or a "Gulroten-crafted hammer" would be a tough sell. We usually have a rule of thumb where we say describe what that is. There are standard fantasy tropes that we green light, but when it digs into things that no one would be able to glance at and say "Oh yeah, that's from the Gulroten Clan," that's where we sort of draw the line.

Wyrom, PM