Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 11:30 AM CST
Hi, I'd like to request a few updates to the WARN verbs---

1) Allow a user to identify who they have warn interacts with (by and from, agnostically perhaps):

Such as,
>WARN INTERACT:

> You should NOT INTERACT with the following people for any reason because a WARN INTERACT was filed either by you or them:
* Janedoe
* Johndoe

2) Update WARN HARASS and INTERACT to allow the person to enter a reason, which is logged to both characters when used, It would help establish history in the event a requisite ASSIST is not filed by the initiating party and/or to continue to log problems if issues persist. Filing an assist each time repeat interactions occur costs everyone a whole lot of time.

Such as,

>warn harass;Johndoe;This person keeps attacking me even after I told them IC and OOC to stop.

>warn harass;Johndoe;This person attacked me again today even after I told them IC and OOC to stop some weeks ago.

>warn interact;Johndoe;This person keeps attacking me even after I told them OOC to stop multiple times and placed a Warn Harrass against them. I now want nothing more to do with them so I filed a WARN INTERACT. I am now leaving the area to remove myself from the situation.

>warn interact;JohnDoe;This person keeps engaging me after I placed a warn interact against them. Logging for reasons.
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 11:36 AM CST
I'd like to +1 this suggestion. If and when these verbs do receive an update, it's also worth clarifying what is actually involved in a WARN INTERACT and a WARN HARASS. There seems to be confusion around whether individuals can actually be in the same room if a WI has previously been put into place. What constitutes interaction, specifically? Being in a room, being in a group together, passively acting/reacting to the other party?

The language in the WARN INTERACT verb makes it pretty clear that parties should not be in the same room together, but this does not seem to be how it is enforced.

Thanks for your help!

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 12:06 PM CST
Yep, appears pretty solid. Even from someone who hasn't ever (?!) used a WARN entry.

+1

Doug
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 12:31 PM CST
+1 I'm curious as to why the interact doesn't ever seem to be enforced. A report/assist usually takes quite a long time, after which that person might have already done their trolling or taunts. Perhaps an automatic check to see if a person on the warn interact list is in the room and a gentle reminder with a confirm mandatory?

I'd also like to ask that players who have had WI with more then X players (not just characters for fear of abuse, and no F2P) be moved to HMC status, so that their actions can be more closely monitored to prevent them from reflecting badly on our small playerbase. Our community is indeed small and as far as I'm aware, the goal of a business is to keep their customers happy - not scare them away with one persons actions. Surely the powers that be would value 10 players with 1 basic account over 1 player with 2 premium accounts, as each one is more likely to get involved in the micro-transactions that Simutronics has gravitated towards.

I'd like to add that there should also be a way to remove a WARN INTERACT as we sometimes do mend fences, get medication, see a therapist, etc.
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 07:14 PM CST
A post from Wyrom I thought relevant:

I wanted to give some clarification on what the WARN verb is intended for and what all that it does.

The WARN verb is a communication tool between you and the person you use it on. It doesn't do anything other than log that it was used and message both parties. It does not notify GMs it was used, nor does it prevent anything from happening. The verb itself tells you that you should assist to speak with a GameHost if you'd like to document what is going on or seek further guidance/results. Using it by itself should be the last step before getting game staff involved in a PvP situation.

If using the INTERACTION portion of the verb, the player who initiates it should leave the area, not the person it's against. This is one of the biggest misunderstandings. Unless actual POLICY is being broken, GameMasters aren't going to enforce parties to move at a storyline or event, but since the person using WARN has a problem, they should be the one who leaves if someone has to go. If the two parties can coexist in the same room without an issue, nothing further has to happen though. As long as you don't interact with each other, you can stay in the same room. Otherwise, the player who used the command should move to another area and ASSIST. Mostly this creates a paper trail when a GameMaster is investigating a PvP issue.

If the person is being disruptive to you or in general, using REPORT as it is happening can get someone to look in on the situation. This is especially helpful when a player has issued the WARN verb and the person is still doing whatever it is that caused them to use it in the first place. Using REPORT after the incident has concluded doesn't help much at all.

If you WARN someone and they turn around and WARN you, you both should respect that. Each player gets messaged, so this is something that happens quite a bit from the standpoint of, "Well they warned me, so I warned them back!" Just abide by it and follow the steps to document it.

Abusing the WARN command can result in an official warning or an immediate lockout. Some examples are:

* Attacking another character and using the WARN verb to prevent them from retaliating.
* Using the WARN verb to "get the last word."
* Harassing another player and fabricating a story about what happened.
* Being the instigator.
* Warning on one character, and using another to attack/name call.
* Having someone else harass a player that was warned or that warned.

Hopefully that helps clear up what the command is for and how/when to use it. If you're not sure if you should use it, please ASSIST to talk to a GameHost.

Wyrom, PM

This message was originally posted in General Roleplaying, Conflict!. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/215/2307/view/442

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 07:37 PM CST

Basically, what I read, is that there needs to be something stronger than the WARN verb, then. Because it doesn't do much except call a time out, and sometimes you really need a paper trail to let the higher ups know when someone won't leave you alone in game. I'd really like to hear from a GM about this.

:)
Deza's player
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 08:01 PM CST
<and sometimes you really need a paper trail to let the higher ups know when someone won't leave you alone in game.>

That's what REPORT and ASSIST are for. If it's not a situation in progress and not worth waiting for an assist, I have to wonder if the person complaining is stirring a pot....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 08:14 PM CST
>> not worth waiting for an assist

Sadly, any number of factors can push this into the two week and beyond category. And that's before you consider the GM schedules. Time of day, availability, offender and offendie together, etc., etc.

That is not worth the time to wait. There's nothing wrong with logging the 'extra' information, so that the 'extra' information is available - and even available when only one party is present for an assist follow-up that way.

If the situation is live and continuing, REPORT (not ASSIST) after the WARN has been issued is the only way to ensure timely (from the character / player perspective) engagement of the GM team. And that, just as sadly, is highly disruptive.

Doug
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 09:07 PM CST
Hi Starchitin,

This is less a request for clarification or pot-stirring than a request for an update to a system that doesn't always work well to handle recurring issues, and I'd like to get staff input on it when someone is able. REPORT and ASSIST are also valuable tools for maintaining a paper trail, but they take up significant GM time, and while there's already a "High Maintenance Customer" system in place to deal with repeated issues, all these wheels grind slowly. In some ways that's good as it gives people every possible chance to rectify their behavior, incriminate themselves thoroughly, or just find a new hobby. For the people having their game time disrupted day in and day out, however, those weeks and months can feel very long.

I never really liked Warn Interact much and had never used it in the past, even with people who were actively disruptive, because I felt other players should be able to remain part of a storyline even if I wanted no interaction with them personally, and I didn't want to shut them out of things where "the mayor" was. It also presents a uniquely awful situation if, for example, a GM-run story event involves meeting in the mayoral office and the mayor has to clear out of it because I've WI'ed someone. Then it becomes a disruption for other players and GMs who must now decamp to somewhere else. (Fortunately, I asked for clarification on this from Kenstrom during active story-time, and he said it was cool if my character stayed in her office. :D )

Being able to establish a paper trail, define reasons for the WI, and note instances in which the WI was broken would add utility to the tool for GMs and other players. REPORT and ASSIST could then be used in conjunction with it to point GHs and GMs to ongoing documentation. I'm very much in favor of revisiting the system and strengthening ways in which we can maintain records when needed without causing undue disruption during gameplay.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/13/2019 11:55 PM CST
Wyrom's post clarifying what WI should be that was just posted said "As long as you don't interact with each other, you can stay in the same room." So I don't think you need to worry about not being allowed in the same room. Just ignore them and if they interact with you report during and assist after the RP event is over. I wouldn't worry too much about straining GM time with serious things. I would guess they want to be bugged when trouble is happening. In my experience ignoring each other works great, once in a while someone needs reminding about ignoring but that's what GMs are great at.
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/14/2019 12:35 AM CST
That's generally true, but in a case from a while back (just as an example), a player followed wherever the people he targeted would go and disrupted others' enjoyment of events. I was one of the people whose attention he sought and didn't get, and it just made him escalate his attempts to contact me or get me to interact with him in-game (which I didn't because "gray rock" is the only way to deal with some people). Not sure a Warn Interact would've worked in that case, but if someone is intent on following others, happening to be where they are, and otherwise playing a game of "lol im not touching you am i bothering you im not touching you," that adheres to the letter of the WI law and not its spirit. That's the kind of thing the suggested updates to WI might help stop as it would establish a pattern of behavior.

It would also establish who's being a "high maintenance customer" by WI'ing people all the time for no reason, but I hope I'm pretty safe there as I've only ever had to do it once. :)

You're right that ignoring generally works wonders, though. I feel pretty lucky in that I rarely have to do even that much.
Re: Updates requested for WARN verb 11/14/2019 01:51 PM CST
It looks like my post about the WARN verb was already referenced, but the WARN verb, as it stands, is just a player communication tool. It doesn't do anything other than that, and it leaves a log for staff to reference it being used. It doesn't save who was warned in game, that can only be referenced through the logs for staff. To do what's suggested, would require we switch things over to be more of a database. I'll talk about it with staff, but it would be a significant overhaul, and a major project to work on.

However, we will be putting a new policy in place shortly due to some recent situations. Look for a post about this later today.

Wyrom, PM