One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 03:57 PM CST
Generally, is it OK for a single user to have two characters in the game?

There would be no consequence to the community's roleplaying.

I'm talking about a single inn table and those two cross-casting defensive spells, but never using more than one character at a time.
Re: One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 04:37 PM CST
Several years ago (7+), I would have said that a lot of people frowned on it.

However, it seems to me that the climate has changed. Generally speaking, I doubt many would even notice.

I'm sure it still ruffles feathers for some people but I see very little in the way of complaints on it these days.

That's just my opinion, though. I think the bottom line is to just use prudence and discretion.
Re: One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 06:36 PM CST

<<Generally, is it OK for a single user to have two characters in the game?

There would be no consequence to the community's roleplaying.

I'm talking about a single inn table and those two cross-casting defensive spells, but never using more than one character at a time.>>

Well, you can have as many characters in-game as you want to pay for accounts. There's nothing in the rules against MAing. A little courtesy goes a long way, but as long as nobody is set up as a spell bot and you're at the keyboard any time you're using more than one account, there's no rule against it. A LOT of folks run multiple accounts now. There's probably still a handful of people who dislike MAing, but by and large a LOT of folks have multiple accounts nowadays, myself included.
Re: One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 07:28 PM CST
>>here's probably still a handful of people who dislike MAing

Name one. :P

>>and you're at the keyboard any time you're using more than one account

Erm, no.

Anytime your character(s) is(/are) in public, you should be at the keyboard. At a private table, it doesn't really matter if you're there or not, irrespective of number of accounts, as long as there's no scripting / botting going on.

The trick is being able to pay attention on more than one character. Multiple monitors helps, slow hunting helps, non-crowded quiet areas help. What most people rail against in terms of multi-accounting is when an army (think like 5, or more, characters) show up, and the only 'active' character is the leader. All interactions with the other members of said army are 'mystically' captured by the leader, or ignored.

To each character be true - and enjoy! In ones, twos, fives or more!

Doug
Re: One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 07:37 PM CST

Erm, no.

Anytime your character(s) is(/are) in public, you should be at the keyboard. At a private table, it doesn't really matter if you're there or not, irrespective of number of accounts, as long as there's no scripting / botting going on.

I thought it would be implied that I meant any time you're USING the characters at a table, to include scripting and botting. In your instance, you don't even have to be at a table. More specifically it doesn't matter if "your chracter(s) is(/are) in public", you can have 15 people logged in at TSC completely afk as long as you're not scripting or botting while you're there as far as I know. Hence the comment about common courtesy.
Re: One person with two accounts 11/07/2019 08:11 PM CST
>>I thought it would be implied

That clarification helps. But anytime a player is using one, irrespective of location (table or otherwise), that player should be present. You said 'using more than one'. That drove my 'erm no' rejoinder. I could have been more precise, but that's just added words.

>> you can have 15 people logged in at TSC completely afk as long as you're not scripting or botting while you're there as far as I know. Hence the comment about common courtesy.

You are precisely correct. As long as no activities beyond resting are going on, numbers mean nothing - except to those folks who are also using the area. This is a mainstay observation in the 'zombie' complaint that we see from many folks. And it also isn't tied to how many people are behind the accounts / characters (one to many or many to many), it is a complaint about non-responsive characters. In doubt? Check out the Rampant Scripting thread in Suggestions, based on one player's observations in a town center.

I'm not sure how to interpret 'common courtesy', beyond observing that since it seems to mean so many things to different people, it clearly can't be 'common' these days. Feel free to clarify if it is material, but I'm not seeing it that way.

Still, that's my upshot - no harm at a table (as initially asked). Public areas are a question mark, sadly, in my view - not 'wrong', but still causes a fuss. So I amplified. Any one character or combination of characters actively executing commands should be attended to by the player, location immaterial. So I ensured the comment included one, not starting at two (more than one). Do we have an accord?

Doug
Re: One person with two accounts 11/08/2019 11:44 AM CST
I would be surprised if anyone cared if you MAed at all as long as you weren't afk scrip hunting and even then most would probably shrug unless it was directly affecting them personally. Like driving down loot pressure something similar. I've never heard anyone be upset about someone using two accounts to get defensive spells, especially if they are so considerate they don't do it in tsc or busy places like that.