Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 03/08/2016 03:58 PM CST
I was recently told by a GM that because EXP is (maybe) earned at the END of long RT, to not be present when that EXP is awarded is considered a scripting violation for receiving mechanical benefits. So despite what seems like a fairly straight forward "Long Roundtime" section; "Players are not responsible to be attentive through long durations of roundtime (RT), as long as no commands are being entered into the system. However, the moment the RT is over and a new command is entered, the player MUST be attentive at this point or be subject to a scripting violation warning. An example of long roundtime would be anything that incurs over 60 seconds of roundtime." the 'Any Mechanical Benefits" is being extrapolated to include the possible EXP awarded at the end of forging rt.

To be fair, apparently this situation is now being reviewed by the powers that be and perhaps there will be a clarification soon. But as it was explained to me, due to the possible forging EXP, to NOT be considered AFK while at the forge requires you to not only type "Get Tongs" but also set a RL alarm to remind you when that RT is almost up (be sure to give yourself some lead time as sometimes that pesky EXP comes in BEFORE RT has fully completed)so that you can be present to watch a screen scroll and perhaps receive exp.

Be aware of this apparently(?) grey area. Nobody needs their account locked out for a misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of the rules

Good luck my fellows.
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 03/08/2016 06:13 PM CST

Clunk does not learn from forging any more, but he still forges, a lot.
Is he safe from being in violation?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 04/05/2016 08:15 AM CDT
That section of Policy 18 about long RTs was added specifically for forging. I will flat out tell you that whatever GM told you that you have to be present at the end of forging RT is wrong. As long as you are attentive before you enter your next command you should be in the clear. If a GM is telling you this and giving you a warning request an SGM referral to dispute it.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 04/14/2016 12:21 PM CDT
Keith is correct that you ONLY need to be there for each new command you type if your roundtime is long. Long is a relative, but in this case, we're talking about anything over 60 seconds.

What it doesn't mean is you can perform many activities that produce long RT and not be paying attention. It's just the one command you enter. So you have to be there for each command's input. If you type GET TONGS after been in X amount of RT and you don't respond, it will be an instant scripting violation. I would pay attention for several seconds after just to stay on the safe side though. You can't go into a forge, start a script and leave it running though. That's not what that clause means.

I apologize for such a long delay in this response.

Wyrom, APM
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 04/14/2016 02:58 PM CDT
You look different today, Wyrom. New haircut? Different glasses? Congratulations?
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 04/14/2016 03:16 PM CDT
>>You look different today, Wyrom.

Heh, good catch!

Doug
Re: Policy 18, mechanical benefits and long RT. FORGERS BEWARE! 04/14/2016 07:54 PM CDT
Plus or minus, a scripting violation is typically "I know it when I see it."

I changed majors in undergrad a lot. From philosophy, to political science, to sociology, psychology, and finally physics. It was a small school, and many of the classes were discussion based. I got sick of not being able to prove people wrong, to be perfectly honest.

It's a lot harder for someone else to prove you're either being mindless or scripting (appears to be mindless) versus you actually being mindless.

Look kids, you all know the rules, and there is zero toleration for screwing about, and they won't have it.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just sayin'...

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p