Discord Authorization 03/22/2021 12:25 PM CDT
The official GemStone IV Discord server now requires authorization to access most channels. To do so, please use the DISCORD verb from within the game.

A few notes:

* Only Premium subscribers can access #premium.
* Only Platinum subscribers can access #platinum and must run the DISCORD verb from the Platinum instance to get setup.
* Only Shattered subscribers can access #shattered and must run the DISCORD verb from the Shattered instance to get setup.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Discord Authorization 03/22/2021 03:45 PM CDT

I would welcome help from those who know more about discord.

I only use discord on my phone. I logged in to the game and followed instructions for discord setup. But my discord app still doesn't show the other topics for Prime subscribers, just the general topics.

What's going on? How do I get mechanics etc. back?
Re: Discord Authorization 03/22/2021 03:50 PM CDT

There's a lot of help in the general channel right now. But what you need to do is type your discord handle exactly as it is (its case sensitive) and choose whether to use your character name or your account name to show up in Discord. For example, mine is this:

discord setup character Mikalmas#7738

Then it should show the channels on Discord for you. That will show your handle as your character name. If you chose the account option your handle woulud be your account name. No spaces in your Discord name, and it is case sensitive. Hope this helps!
Re: Discord Authorization 03/22/2021 04:07 PM CDT

Yes, that helps, thank you!
Re: Discord Authorization 03/22/2021 06:44 PM CDT
They want to know who's account is linked to who's username.....sneaky....or good?

I guess they can weed out who they want to now by account status and such.
Re: Discord Authorization 03/23/2021 12:39 PM CDT
Getting asked for my phone number in Discord today was a deal breaker. I have never been really good with Discord anyway though.

Soliere's player
"When they turn over your apple cart, scoop up a shirt full and run bake pie for them." ~My Granny
PIE!! ::perk:: <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <) .. <)
Re: Discord Authorization 03/23/2021 12:42 PM CDT
ROBERTSM8 said:
>discord setup character Mikalmas#7738

Does this make you not have to give your phone number?
Re: Discord Authorization 03/23/2021 02:50 PM CDT
>Does this make you not have to give your phone number?

I think you are authenticating with the phone number to DISCORD itself, and the character/account stuff with Simutronics.

When Discord calls me ... I guess I can ignore them? I presume this was an easier way to prevent abuse on Discord than asking for your home address, social security number, mother's maiden name, whatever other personal info companies keep to make sure you are you.

Go get a Google Voice number. :)

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Discord Authorization 03/23/2021 04:05 PM CDT
ROBERTSM8 said:
> discord setup character Mikalmas#7738
I said:
>> Does this make you not have to give your phone number?
LUXELLE said:
>>> I think you are authenticating with the phone number to DISCORD itself, and the character/account stuff with Simutronics.

You were both correct, I think.

After I logged in to Soliere and did this:
discord setup character Essy#4085

Then I received this message in the game:
Recorded Essy#4085 as your Discord Username and Soliere as your Server Nickname.

Then I was able to login to the Simutronics Discord without even getting asked for a phone number.

All is well and right with the world now. Unless I turn on the news. :D

LUXELLE also said:
>>> Go get a Google Voice number. :)

Good idea, thank you! :) :) :)

Thanks everyone for the help.
from Soliere's player {{{{}}}}
WOOHOO I CAN READ WIKI-TALK AGAIN!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!! (I Lurk!)
Re: Discord Authorization 03/25/2021 11:59 AM CDT
Is there any consideration being taken to possibly opening some channels to read-only for those not at certain subscription levels? Or even opened fully if not authorized?

As a scripter and someone who likes to help the community, it feels like #scripting should not be gated behind the use of DISCORD verb in-game. I don't know if that viewpoint is shared by others who frequent that channel, but I know a lot of people go to that spot to get assistance with getting script (Lich or front-end based) support. Would be a shame to have to force users to first deal with authenticating in-game or lose that ability to just be of assistance without the need to link an account.
Re: Discord Authorization 03/25/2021 12:01 PM CDT
Also there's a lot of times when players and active script authors will take breaks from the game and may still want to be active in helping the community or providing updates. This kind of breaks them away from being able to do that. Especially if they weren't authorized before the change.
Re: Discord Authorization 03/30/2021 11:51 PM CDT
The validation process in game via DISCORD is using a webhook to confirm the Discord account you provided is a real account in Discord. Once done, it updates your nickname to match the option you used (character or account) from in game. Over the years, we've built some tools to help us communicate from the game to Discord. We have plans to use this to help with how announcements are handled as well. With the auto-publisher bot that we have, it is possible to really engage with a wide range of players using Discord.

None of your data is shared or used outside of this during the authentication process. It is simply used as described above to link who everyone is so that we can continue to use Discord in a manner that works for us. As for the phone number validation step, that is done through Discord as an extra security layer and nothing that Simutronics or the GemStone IV game staff have access to. It's mostly used as a spam filter.

This is all very new right now, any consideration for read-only channels will be discussed at a later time.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Discord Authorization 03/31/2021 11:15 AM CDT
Wyrom - thank you for this statement. This addresses 95% of my 'consumer concerns' quite nicely. The only thing missing would be a forward-looking statement that asserts any changes specifically to this process in terms of data retention and location of that data will be announced before implementation, through some formal channel - with the option to remove Discord validation if the player does not wish to participate.

Very appreciated.

Doug
Re: Discord Authorization 04/01/2021 04:09 PM CDT
Yes, any future updates to any of this will disclosed before any changes. But I do not foresee anything changing.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Discord Authorization 04/01/2021 07:26 PM CDT
100%

My sincerest thanks, Wyrom.

Doug