Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/22/2022 03:48 PM CST
Hi everyone :)

Gemstone holds a very special place in my heart.

I played a half-elf rogue named Nicobab in the late 90s, when we were still on dial-up (oh the phone bills!!!!). Met a giantman rogue named Kalimath in Icemule. Fell in love. Married him and moved from Germany to the States. We divorced after 14 years but are still friends.

I find myself thinking of "the good old days" in Icemule about two or three times a year. I signed up for F2P just to mosy around Nicobab's old home and see if I'd like to revive her, but dang! $25 for a subscription is a lot of money for a game I won't have much time to play. :(

Anyway... if anyone out there remembers Nicobab (or Kalimath), please drop me a line here. Would love to hear how life has treated you these past 20+ years.
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/22/2022 04:00 PM CST
I've been treating it as, "$25 a month for bulletin boards... NOW with Free Game!" since about 2000 or so.

When you think about it, $25 for an entire month--like when you get sick for a week and have nothing to do...--pales to insignificance when you remember some of those "car payment" level monthly bills. :)

Me, I've only been actively playing again for about 5-6 years; before that I was taking a one-year sabbatical that started in about late-'05/early'06. (Don't even tell me the math doesn't line up. It was a sabbatical.)
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/22/2022 04:17 PM CST
Welcome back!

It's not $25 though, its $14.95 for prime (39.95 for premium but sounds like you don't need that).

There is also a promotion code for 30 days of premium for free (if you an account has not been active in the last six months, which you qualify for).

GSBACKAFTER6
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/22/2022 04:18 PM CST
Don't mind him - he's been paying so long he doesn't even remember what he pays ;)
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/22/2022 05:09 PM CST
Eeehhh? <poke Roblar> Shpeak into the ear-trumpet, shonny!
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/23/2022 09:15 PM CST

Turns out my old account still exists and can be reactivated. Oh dear!!! LOL. Is it still $2.50 per additional character slot?
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/23/2022 10:03 PM CST
Yep!

If you used the code, you'll have up to 15 slots included as you'll have a premium account for the first month.

Remember to have billing switch it to basic (plus whichever slots) before it becomes due for the second month though if you don't want to pay for premium.

If you're adding a lot of slots, it probably because more worthwhile to upgrade at some point (including other plan benefits).
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/24/2022 07:54 AM CST

Yay!!! Another step closer to reactivation! :)

I have one more question (hopefully it'll be the last one for a while): Can I rename a character and change its race? If so, how would I do that?
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/24/2022 08:48 AM CST
Yes, https://store.play.net/store/purchase/gs

Polymorph potions are what you're looking for. They aren't cheap.

- Andreas
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/24/2022 10:40 AM CST
Welcome back!

You'll find that the core elements of the game have not changed much while a whole bunch more has been added.

Bookmark this invaluable link to our GS Wiki:

https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

You'll find just about everything you need to know there. It is a searchable virtual treasure trove of information compiled by staff and players.

Another place you may want to explore that allows you to chat in real time with staff and other players is Discord:

https://discord.gg/Vc9mXu9R

This invitation link expires in 7 days but anyone can generate one at any time.

Enjoy!

FGM Netz
World Team
Congress of Ghosts 5118
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/24/2022 12:50 PM CST

Thank you so much for this info! It'll definitely be interesting to get back into Elanthia. I'm hoping the spirit of roleplaying is still alive and well, even on the non-platinum servers. I remember the days when talking about real life topics was very much frowned upon and I never saw a player with a - more or less well - disguised fecal reference in their names (like Smellotyrd or worse). I would like to go and explore, do some quests that don't require an army to succeed, maybe have a group of like-minded friendly folks to adventure with on a set day once a week/fortnight/month.

We'll see what happens. I'm excited!
Re: Another person plagued by nostalgia 02/24/2022 12:55 PM CST

Thanks so much! I have no idea how much silver any of my characters have at this point. It'll be a process to get that name changed, that's for sure. It'll be interesting.