Great News! 10/26/2021 10:12 PM CDT

I'm a returning player to the game, and I bring with me Great News for the Gemstone Staff and Player Base.

The News is this.

I have successfully tested thoroughly Gboard and it's interface with Gemstone 4 and I am pleased to announce that I have discovered that it not only functions smoothly with the Game, but that the Qwertz format seems to be the best option to use when playing from Android cellular and tablet devices.

I also use the U.S. English version myself.

The only problem I encountered was a zooming in and out problem after every command that I typed. I was able to correct this problem by first zooming out with the screen, then letting it settle and center itself, and then typing in the commands.

I would say that I have been able to achieve about 80% of the experience that I am able to get when playing from a PC on my Cellular Android Phone.

I'd say that's pretty significant indeed.
Re: Great News! 10/26/2021 10:34 PM CDT
I should also add that the QWERTY format of Google's GBoard seems to work just as good if not better than the QWERTZ in terms of efficiency due to the placement of the letters on the Board.

This is very important, because what it means is that Gemstone 4 can finally be marketed to Android users both as being compatible with GBoard itself but also as being playable from those devices.

Basically without having to change very much at all.
Re: Great News! 10/27/2021 02:18 AM CDT

...yea...

...you have fun with that...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Great News! 10/27/2021 11:30 AM CDT
GBoard is a phone software/virtual keyboard... Not sure I follow how this is significant? I generally find that, preferences aside, any keyboard works with GS.

- Andreas
Re: Great News! 10/27/2021 06:55 PM CDT

Well, from a Marketing standpoint, if GS can be successfully marketed to the Android Audience, instead of only OC and Mac, then this should bring in an entire new crop of individuals, by virtue of common sense and sheer statistics, but also generate some very good revenue for Gemstone over all.

It also allows for Gemstone to be Marketed directly to things such as Google Play Store, etc. To be listed if they do desired. Though, it would have to be just an app which brings them to the site I guess. Or, an app that just contains basic helpful information about the game, as well as a listing of the web site itself.

There are already plenty of Apps like that on Google Play.
Re: Great News! 10/27/2021 07:05 PM CDT

Also, I should add that I highly recommend changing the GBoard settings to "Extra Short" instead of Normal if you are going to be playing GS from your Phone. Just saying.
Re: Great News! 10/27/2021 07:25 PM CDT

As far as my own personal settings?

I remove all spell check options so that it diesn't change the words on me when I am typing in my commands.

I change the keyboard to dark mode so that it doesn't drain my battery as quickly, also because it blends in with GS better.

I remove all emoji buttons because I have found that they all get in the way while playinf GS.

As mentioned already I also switch my keyboard to Extra Short which allows to see more of GS while playing. Very good for shorter screens.

There are also many themes which can be downloaded and some of them go nicely witu the role playing environment. Such as the ones with water, trees, etc.
Re: Great News! 10/28/2021 10:55 AM CDT
I guess my point is...why does it matter that it works with GBoard specifically? It'd work just the same with the Samsung keyboard, etc... Software/virtual keyboards aren't the limiting factors of text-based games on mobile phones.

- Andreas
Re: Great News! 10/28/2021 08:08 PM CDT
I disagree. I believe that when playing from a cell phone, what type of virtual keyboard and how familiar you are with it is everything, when it comes to your experience playing MUDs.