Waking up after 15 years 02/25/2021 10:31 PM CST
Hello everyone,

I used to play regularly in the early 2000s or so. I was a college student back then. I'm not sure what happened but somehow I've now got 3 kids and this week one of them started asking me about what computer games were like back in the olden days. So I looked up Gemstone to see if it was still around. Surprise! The first thing that happened when I logged in was that I walked around, I tried to look at my inventory to see what I had because I couldn't remember what kind of weapons I had, then I got killed. I'm amazed I remembered my voln symbols because I had no idea where I was in the game, but at least Wehnimer's landing seems a bit familiar. My son thinks this game looks really old, but he wants to try it so I think I'll help him make a character and start over because I have no idea what to do anymore. Do new characters still start in the Landing? I think I can remember enough to help him through that. Does Tsoran still have his maps available?

Nice to be back, wonder if I'll see any familiar faces. When I logged in it said my account was last active in 2006.

Amee
Re: Waking up after 15 years 02/25/2021 10:38 PM CST
Welcome back! You're in for a treat.

With Free to Play (F2P) you will start in the landing, with a pay account, I think you might get choices. While you're exploring with your son, I'd suggest you just use the F2P option, and get all warmed up!

I'm not sure if there's an actual repository of printed maps any more, but if you send me an email to my play dot net address, I'll ship you some image files to print to get started.

Doug
Re: Waking up after 15 years 02/26/2021 03:59 AM CST
Welcome back! I dunno if you posted on the forums a lot back in the day, but your account name looks really familiar for some reason.

As the other poster said, F2P accounts are great if you just wanna peek around or let your son try out the game. If you already have at least a basic sub from back in the day though, I'd stick with that since F2P is pretty restrictive. Regardless, the sprite quest new characters get is a great way to refamiliarize yourself with the game.

It's been a long time since I started a character, but unless they sneaked in a change Wehnimer's, Icemule, and Ta'Vaalor are all starter towns. Basic subs used to start randomly in one of those three towns while premium subs could choose to start in any town they wanted (including ones not designated starter towns).... I seem to vaguely remember there was a change few years ago to allow basic a choice between the started towns, though. It's been a LONG time since started a char, so take that last bit with a grain of salt.

As far as maps/etc, the vast majority of lore, guides, knowledge, and maps have been concentrated on the wiki for at least the last 10 years (though there are a couple sites maintained by players still around). Anyone with an active account can edit it and GMs actively contribute as well, so I'd recommend poking around it. The main page has links to a number of guides for new/returning players that should be a huge help getting your barrings back, just click the link on the GS home page or go here: https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

If you need help in game, most players will be happy to lend assistance if you ask or you can THINK ON HELP [message] so everyone can see/respond to your question (crystal amulets are no longer needed to use the amunet!). You can also go to the Silverwood Manor in any town and ring the bell there to summon a Mentor to come assist you (type DIR SILVERWOOD in game to get directions), they have a number of resources available to them to help new/returning players and are just awesome people!

Lastly, there's an official GS channel on Discord as well if you use that. Both players and GMs interact there discussing just about everything GS related and it's another great place to get help in a pinch. Of course you can also ask away here if you don't need an answer right that moment.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Waking up after 15 years 02/25/2022 09:27 AM CST

Hi Amee,

Same here! Played regularly in the late 90s/early 2000s and just reactivated my old account. If you run into a Nicobab, Nicosis, Necalana, or Ciboron out there, feel free to say hi. :)
Re: Waking up after 15 years 02/25/2022 10:01 AM CST
Be sure to bookmark this link to our searchable info-packed GS Wiki:

https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

Welcome back!

FGM Netz
World Team
Congress of Ghosts 5118
Re: Waking up after 15 years 02/25/2022 12:27 PM CST
Welcome home to Elanthia, Everyone!!

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/