Profession choice help 03/03/2020 12:40 PM CST
Hello I am relatively new and looking for some advice on professions. It might be my old age but I am having difficulty not getting extremely bored the first 10 levels on the couple of professions I have tried. Is there a profession or hybrid/mutant that is the most fun for the first 20 levels or so? Basically something that doesn't just spam the same command over and over until something is dead. I'm sure most get more interesting later at higher levels, but I can't bring myself to be monotonous for so long just to get there.

Like for example, both warriors and rangers look fun, but for 20 levels is it just "attack xxx" over and over again with maybe a stance dance thrown in? Or a sorcerer also looks interesting, but again am I just casting the same spell until out of mana, then waiting, then casting same spell again?

I honestly don't care if the build is bad or inefficient at higher levels since odds are I won't be playing enough hours to ever get to 40+.
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 01:05 PM CST
I'll toss in my two silvers worth and I am sure others will chime in as well.

First and foremost, I don't think you really get to begin to experience your profession very well until you start to get past 20 or so where you have developed a few of your skills and spells and can start doing more things effectively. With that in mind, a couple of things that you might consider to make the early levels more entertaining for you.

1) Try a ranged character. Honestly ranged is a bit challenging very early on so either you will find this interesting or even more annoying. Not sure which but it will add some complexity to your early levels. :-)
2) Try an ambush from the shadows character. This might also turn out to be somewhat repetitious for you (hide, stance, ambush) but might prove to add some depth or interest as well.
3) Try a UAC Monk. I find open combat with a monk to be somewhat slow but UAC does add a new and interesting twist to open combat.

If you do look past the level 20 or so, I've found my ranger to be a lot of fun with an arsenal of spells that are well thought out and useful. I have two characters that are post cap, a wizard and a paladin. I find the paladin fun but somewhat one dimensional for combat (so maybe not a good profession choice for you) but the wizard has a lot of options available and I do mix it up a bit with them.

Hopes that help and good luck! Whatever you choose, I do recommend that you pick something that seems interesting longer term and stick with it long enough to start to get the professional flavor a bit further into your character's development and training path!

-- Robert

>channel my maul
You channel at a hefty mithril maul.
You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 01:06 PM CST
I think, for me, most things wind up somewhat repetitive by nature in games, especially early on. I am enjoying my under level 20 wizard -- she's a pure wizard so bolt spells + runestaff wielding, not attacking things, but you do have some pretty awesome lower spells that you may need to switch around depending on what you're hunting. For example, I wasn't using fire because mana was so precious, so I stuck to 901 a lot until I realized against trolls I used less by hitting with fire. So that's one of the fun things as a spellcaster -- what spells work with what critters, do you cast or channel, etc.

I also have an <20 two-weapon wielding rogue that's also doubled in brawling. I just got myself back up to speed on her and it's quite fun swinging the two weapons, plus she's Voln so she's got another 'purpose' to keep it interesting. She just leveled up into her katars so once I get those blessed, I'll be trying them, but otherwise she's using a khopesh + fist-scythe. I'll probably look at hand/foot wraps too so I can toss the weapons away and try the unarmed combat system.

Between lower amounts of EXP needed + learning the new class + weekly Lumnis EXP bonus, I tend to not get too bored the first 20 levels with anything!

~Heathyr
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 02:00 PM CST
I had a longer post typed up, but like the replies that came in while I was typing it more so I'm not hitting "post on that one. The only thing I'll add is this:

<I'm sure most get more interesting later at higher levels, but I can't bring myself to be monotonous for so long just to get there.>

GS expects you to earn what you get in it, whether it's higher levels, the ability to forge your own weapons, or the esteem of your peers. While progression is faster now, short term rewards have never been something GS has been geared towards.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 02:23 PM CST
"esteem of your peers.
While progression is faster now, short term rewards have never been something GS has been geared towards." -- Starchitin

I have found a VERY quick turnaround when steaming pears: you start with Minor Water, add Minor Fire until temperature is appropr...

<think>

OH!

Sorry, dat's sumpin' else entirely.

<wander>
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 03:27 PM CST

Some excellent answers already. Unarmed combat on any profession would be a new engaging way to experience combat with a little variety.

Only thing I’d add is that I enjoy when learning a new area I try and take time to look at the room descriptions, DESC the creatures, and take notice of the unique creature actions and area ambients. Those visuals add far a lot of flavor even while I might be spamming attack. Also if the opportunity presents itself, invite a hunting partner willing to go exploring.
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 04:16 PM CST
Another thing to think about doing, build a backstory for your character. Let the backstory help define your character's combat style and personality.

I've got a character that has a powerfully sad backstory that has shaped and molded him into the character he is today. I find him more enjoyable to hunt than most other characters I have and he's a mutant warmage build.

Just something to keep in mind.
Re: Profession choice help 03/03/2020 06:20 PM CST
I think clerics now have the most variety in their hunting repertoire with the changes last year. They're definitely a lot of fun and what I would consider a good starting point for new players.

As far as melees go, monks are kind of fun if you follow the tier up system and use the right attack (jab, punch, grapple, kick) as the system suggests. Eventually you can train 3x dodge on them and have a very high DS with a very strong attack. They also can deal with flying enemies very easily via force projection (1207) and if you join the Order of Voln as your society you can punch undead to your heart's content without ever needed a bless or special equipment.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Profession choice help 03/04/2020 10:14 AM CST
Unarmed combat (UAC) is probably the way to go. You get most flavor for UAC on a monk, but monks are severely lacking in other flavor. If you do get to 40 (and it takes much less time than you might think if you get engaged by the game) its liable to become an issue if the monk is your main character.

Hide/Ambush will be really frustrating if you are trying to jump straight into it but if you play ranger or rogue UAC it'll become another option as you approach 20.

Wizards get quite a lot of profession support for melee as well as the most diverse magic options, the only problem I have with wizards is that it becomes pretty much impossible to play directly rather than watch a script playing it for you. I got to the point where 1s attacks are the norm and gave up due to the boredom of needing a script to play the game for me in order to operate that fast.

>Like for example, both warriors and rangers look fun, but for 20 levels is it just "attack xxx" over and over again with maybe a stance dance thrown in? Or a sorcerer also looks interesting, but again am I just casting the same spell until out of mana, then waiting, then casting same spell again?

Warriors: early on its which stance to pick for which opponent, but you aren't doing much else than picking which stance to sit in and attack over and over again, and whether to switch stance or run away when faced by multiple opponents. You start to get significantly more options from manoever attacks around level 10, but they'll remain occasional use only until around level 20-30. You also have the advantage that you can choose which one suits the way you want to play rather than taking spells in the order the game gives them to you. Warriors also get a guild which gives a variety of other things to do and powers to pick up once you get to level 15 (but it'll be 20-30 before they start giving you significant extra combat options)
Rangers: similar to warriors, except its the occasional spell thrown in. The spells you have are rather more effective, but you have to take the spells the game gives you rather than picking the one you like out of a list (and no guild, but you do get to 40 you'll get a companion along the way).
Sorcerers: you are casting from a pretty restricted list of spells, but one of them costs no mana so you can keep casting.

If you've been playing F2P, advancement there is a lot slower, and somewhere around level 10 you will start feeling that you'll never get anywhere. You need to subscribe or buy the passes that let you advance faster. It makes a huge difference to when you'll get to 20-30, particularly if you are a casual player.

Warrior, and rogue were what worked best for me and not what I picked first but 2nd and 4th. If you've tried and given up on a couple around level 10, you probably have enough experience of the game that the next one will be a good choice.
Re: Profession choice help 03/05/2020 09:58 AM CST
Thanks everyone for the advice! A few options here to try that sound interesting. If none of them work even I might consider using attack scripts (which usually I am against) to at least get me through the first 20 levels or so.