Stormfront config help 02/14/2020 11:24 PM CST
Hi all,

I haven't played in around 20 years and have only been back for a day. I'm using Stormfront, and having a lot of trouble playing in busy rooms. The spam of people coming/going, casting, etc makes it impossible to do anything like manage inventory or carry on a conversation. Is it possible to filter other player actions to a separate window, so that my story window isn't cluttered with them?

Thanks!
Re: Stormfront config help 02/14/2020 11:26 PM CST
To clarify, I'm just looking to have a window that only echos either my actions, or actions that are targeting me.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 12:35 AM CST
I use the speech window to keep track of conversations and whispers, and then highlights like "at you" or "to you" and others things to make sure I do not miss things in the story window.

The things that bypass the conversation window - GM messaging, Yells, Recites, and stuff drive me nuts.

I kind of avoid busy rooms if possible.

That said, I cannot recommend the speech window enough, it at least gets you more than halfway there!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 06:39 AM CST
I still haven't been sold on StormFront, so I just avoid busy rooms. :)
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 08:27 AM CST
>I haven't played in around 20 years and have only been back for a day. I'm using Stormfront, and having a lot of trouble playing in busy rooms. The spam of people coming/going, casting, etc makes it impossible to do anything like manage inventory or carry on a conversation. Is it possible to filter other player actions to a separate window, so that my story window isn't cluttered with them?

You can't filter other player actions.

You can and should have the Thoughts window and Speech windows open. All thoughts (and lich/lnet) stuff will go to that window. The next best thing about SF is you can detach windows and drag them anywhere on your monitor. If you have multiple monitors you can move things around that fit your needs. If you want to detach a window you simply right click inside the window you want to detach and choose "detach". Then you're free to drag that window around.

I don't recall with Wizard FE, but in SF you can also link sound files to trigger with highlights that come up on your screen. I use a simple ding sound to alert me if someone whispers to me, sends me a thought or simply uses my character's name. I hear that ding and I have 2 spots I quickly look at to see who's interacting with me (the Speech window or the Thoughts window).

You can IGNORE specific things so they no longer appear on your screen, but you have to be careful what you ignore. You can add words or strings of words to the Ignore tab for your Highlights by manually adding them or you can highlight (click and drag to highlight text on your screen) and right click and choose to Copy to and pick Ignore.

One thing I ignored that caused me big issues was: Years and years ago pet lizards were introduced into the game - I think they came out with the visit from the Ghu Dillywack. People wore them (to my understanding) - think of like a parrot sitting on your shoulder - and these lizards created horrific screen scroll from all their ambient actions. It drove me crazy! I ended up ignoring one or two words that pertained to the lizard and all of a sudden POOF all the ambient lizard screen clutter was gone! Awesome!

However, because the lizard showed up as a worn inventory item, when I looked at people that wore lizards, all I would see was this:

>l at Thatoneguy
You see Thatoneguy.
He appears to be a Sylvankind.
He is very tall. He appears to be very young. He has deep-set blue-green eyes and golden brown skin. He has raggedly cut, curly bright red hair worn in a ponytail. He has a pinched face, a broken nose and angular pointed ears.

Nothing from their inventory would show up because lizard was in the on going sentence that listed the person's worn items so the entire sentence that included the word "lizard" made everything get ignored.

So, if you use the Ignore highlights function, be careful what you ignore. If you're too specific (one word) it could cause a lot of problems. I find it better to ignore specific sentences/actions, you'd have to test things out to see if you can get useful results for your needs.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 09:47 AM CST
After a while you do to some degree learn to just filter stuff in your brain automatically and pick out the relevant bits.

Avaia, player of
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 10:20 AM CST

It's a problem for sure. I've only been back two monks after being gone almost a decade basically. It's getting a bit easier to deal with and that might be due to my becoming addicted to watching Duskruin arena matches. lol. What I don't get is why more players don't sell in bulk instead of individual items, I speculate that it's due to them using Lich and tracking items that they're selling or how their scripts work.

What makes it easier for me in places like the furrier or gem shop is to simply remove my cloak and Sell Cloak. The gem owner and furrier buy all the items inside. With the pawnshop that isn't possible and reading what's inside my cloak is harder and pulling out the items to sell. Anyhow, it does get easier.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 02:40 PM CST
< What I don't get is why more players don't sell in bulk instead of individual items, I speculate that it's due to them using Lich and tracking items that they're selling or how their scripts work.>

This drives me nuts too... they always seem to make the screen explode with their scroll right when I'm trying to check to make sure I don't have any collectables mixed in with my gems that'll accidentally get sold.

Even worse is the jerks with scripts that have them enter the locksmith's and pick every item out of their boxes individually rather then using LOOT or EMPTY... one of those fools is gonna find themselves Spike Thorned some day...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 02:46 PM CST
I think the selling individually thing, for some people anyway, has to do with min-maxing silvers vis-a-vis the trading skill and/or not wanting to be penalized by selling a container full of, say, gems.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 02:52 PM CST
Before someone takes that wrong, I think you mean not getting charged for notes. Trading skill still kicks in for selling containers.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 03:09 PM CST
That's exactly what I do, Haxus & Roblar: if I know that I've picked up a bunch of <usually sapphires or pearls> on the hunt/from boxes, I will sell those all individually before selling the container as a bulk-sale, so as to be under the ~20k value that seems to be the limit for the Landing guy.
Sure it's only 45 silvers, but it's 45 silvers every hunt, and if I'm trying to quickly advance a character for whatever reason, that ca be several in a day.

A Dwarf is Penurious, after all! :)
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 03:09 PM CST
I'll tell you why I do it, and why I did it with just an SF script.

I am not interested in min/maxing silver. I'm also not interested in just throwing silver away needlessly.

So I pop my own boxes.

I sell items individually.

I give away pawnshop items of good value to someone else who may be able to use them.

And I get irritated every single time I see the line (minus a umpty-fratz fee). Charge fees somewhere else and to someone who NEEDS the note.

Somewhere along the spectrum,

Doug
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 03:12 PM CST
Yep I was used to it and it was also helpful to understand gem value ranges, also for new or event ones.

Also, for bounties when I grab a specific type up to 10 times, but usually I sell container.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/15/2020 11:55 PM CST
I used to sell containers and moan at people that didn't, but then I got fed up with notes and now normally sell things individually to avoid them as far as possible.

Mist Harbor being "normalised" is a big part of this. Its essentially one half of "town" now and that means using silvers because notes drop in and out of validity with each turn of the transporter. Being charged a fee for a note that isn't even valid in the other half of town really annoys me.

Reim also contributes to my hatred of notes, though this time its down to them being a clunky game item rather than an abstraction.

Then a bunch of game systems now have uses for gems and skins that aren't just selling the lot the moment you get back to town, so they need to be processed individually to sort out the ones to be kept from the ones to be sold and it becomes natural to sell them individually too.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/16/2020 10:51 AM CST

Interesting, thanks for the replies everyone as to why some sell individual items. I don't care or sweat the note fee myself, as most who know me know I just don't really care all that much about wealth. I need it to purchase things like herbs but otherwise I just don't fuss about it. Now, what does irk me is the notes for each area and having to change them, that gets old. I think a "universal note" that is recognized between the banks and businesses would be really nice but that's just me.

Re: Stormfront config help 02/16/2020 10:59 AM CST
When I jaunt through the lands, I rely on Elanthian Express; don't leave home without it!
Re: Stormfront config help 02/16/2020 08:47 PM CST
"There are some things silver can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterRogue."

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stormfront config help 02/17/2020 02:16 PM CST

>>I think a "universal note" that is recognized between the banks and businesses would be really nice but that's just me.

+1
particularly if that universal note is the Zul Logoth mining chit. Alternatively, perhaps, Shadow Dragon chits.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)