New player experience & feedback 12/08/2019 05:54 PM CST

So several lifetimes ago I played GSIII. Recently I decided to come back to GS and check out 4. While I like many things about the game, I've reached a wall. After posting about it on players corner, it was suggested that I post here to. So, FWIW, here we go:

The new player experience is lacking in many ways. There is a decent attempt to share information, but it's like drinking from a firehose. There's no way someone is going to retain and understand all of that information at once. Additionally, there seems to be no 'on-going' training other than via other players or mentors - both of which are good in their own right, but not ideal for people looking to go it alone (those that don't like asking for help).

Mechanics: For me, the lower levels are FAR to difficult in terms of EXP gain/hunting. There is not a sufficient player base at lower levels to make them enjoyable when you have to grind though endless hours of hunting (to be discussed more in a moment) to justify the caps imposed. While I'm sure your intentions are well founded, you either need to get more butts in the chairs or make a fast path to the current player base.

Hunting: I can't speak for higher levels or other classes. But, as a rogue I've hit a wall starting around 6 or 7. I was able to skirt that wall for a while, making it to level 14, but now seem to have hit the end of the road. Regardless of how I redo my training, and with 4x weapon, armor and shield, I cannot hut at my level. In fact, I cant hunt three levels below my level... so, my options are to attempt to level using level 6 (and an occasional 9) mob, which will come to an end soon, as I'll stop getting experience from them; or, save what's left of my sanity and quit while I'm behind.

Additional feedback: the pricing does not really help in attracting new blood. While I don't mind wasting a few bucks, many people won't gamble it on entertainment - especially if they see things as I did above. Someone else suggested that the FTP be modified to give full access and then hit a hard wall at 20. I think that's a good idea. But, all that is for naught if you don't deal with the experiences I mentioned above. Another idea would be to implement some sort of fast track to current levels (or near that) and give folks 30 days for free.

In any case, there's a chance I'll try a bit more, but most likely my experience has been enough for me to call it a loss. So, SIMU gained an account around the 30th and lost it by the 8th.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/08/2019 09:16 PM CST
My experience 4/5 years ago when I returned fell pretty much into the same experience.

The learning curve for GS is NOT EASY. New folks are sent to the wiki for information all the time - and the wording at the wiki assumes a GREAT deal about how much you already know. The old classic problem of ... you don't know enough to search/ask what you need to.

I wrote ;foreach to help with SOME of the lingo - and I still refer to it at least once a week.

The hurdles are huge, and folks who have been playing for more than a year or two have forgotten most of the simple things that are barriers.

There are excellent guides out there about how to train as a bard. I could not even make heads or tails out of them to train. And there are some of you reading this that know just how badly Luxie's skills were set at level 30 when Taluric came and saved me from my failures. :)

30 Levels to begin to hunt at level is what that ended up being.

If I were a GM, I would HAUNT Antok invisibly to learn the things that he just expressed, and more, so that you can make it better!

Antok: Please feel free to look me up anytime, write me, my profile has an email link that works over there in the right column. Whatever you need. I remember being close to tears nearly every day for 4 weeks. Now, my kids and hubby will tell you my eye leak way too much, but that was my level of frustration.

The only thing that kept me from quitting was that I was stubborn enough that I was not going to admit to anyone that a 1988 wall of text could beat me :)

Silverwood Manor and a bunch of mentors are also a great resource.

~L.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/08/2019 09:47 PM CST
<Regardless of how I redo my training, and with 4x weapon, armor and shield, I cannot hut at my level.>

Hogwash. I've solo-hunted 6 characters of 6 different professions into their 30's or beyond without the use of spells they do not know.... sorcerer, rogue, empath, ranger, warrior, and cleric.

I'll allow that the mid to upper teens can be difficult, esp for professions like rogues or bards that rely as much on tactics as training and haven't quite come into their own yet. However, if anyone hits a wall that they just cannot get past, it's that one or more of several things is going on:

1. They're trying to hunt in places that were never designed for their character's type. Some creatures/hunting areas are better for magic users, some better for melee, some a cakewalk for everyone, some difficult for most builds, etc. Below level 40 there's a HUGE number of hunting areas to choose from, if you're having trouble in one, try another.... or better yet, ask a rogue what they were hunting when they were your level.

2. They've neglected something in their training that's important and don't realize it. I'd suggest copying and pasting what you get when you type SKILL in the Rogue folder under Professions and letting folk there offer suggestions.

3. They haven't figured out decent tactics for their character. Stance dancing will only get you so far, eventually you're going to have to incorporate CMANs, AMBUSH, etc into your combat. Know the strengths and weaknesses of what you're fighting as well as those of your character, find ways to take advantage of your strengths/their weaknesses, find out how to avoid the worst of their strengths, and limit their ability to target your weaknesses.

4. They refuse to retreat and regroup when a fight turns against them. Yea, sometimes that's not an option... but when you find yourself stunned/webbed/etc, it's time to get your rump out from in front of whatever you're fighting if at all possible, tend to whatever wounds you need to, and maybe return to town to lighten your load.

GS has always had a steep learning curve, even back when it was GS3. It's admiral that you want to try to go it you're own, but the game just has so many ins and outs that you're setting yourself up for frustration by not asking someone somewhere for advice... between other players, Mentors, the forums, Discord, and the Wiki there is boatloads of knowledge your missing out on that can make things much easier for you.

Lastly, if your rogue is trained to use ranged, I'd give this guide a look-through: https://gswiki.play.net/Starchitin%27s_rogue_sniper_guide

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/08/2019 09:55 PM CST
I ment to put in my last post... feel free to email my play.net (OM1E5GA@play.net) any questions you have about your rogue or send me a PM on Discord (Starchitin#9989) if you'd rather have a real-time chat about it (fair warning, RL work for me is crazy busy til after x-mas, so other then tomorrow and Tues I might not be available for Discord chatting til after x-mas).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/09/2019 07:18 AM CST
"Hogwash. I've solo-hunted 6 characters of 6 different professions into their 30's or beyond without the use of spells they do not know.... sorcerer, rogue, empath, ranger, warrior, and cleric."

I'm sure some people can. But, I'm here to say i can't (or perhaps I won't - I'm not that committed to the game yet). And. I'd think a fair number of people would have the same experience and expectations that I do. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's the way I look at it all.

There is a steep learning curve here. There is a lot of information out there, but a lot of it is useless without context - something a new player wouldn't usually have. Further, I've seen little to nothing regarding what types of creatures to hunt for what setup's etc. And, personally I don't think that is something that should be a hard wall this early on. That type of mechanic should be built on over a period of time. At mid teens someone isn't committed enough to continue on. In the early days of GS, when there was a decent population at that level range, you could overcome with grouping. Now, most everyone at that level is scripting and burning through (with knowledge and experience to guide them through).

Additional details on my experiences - I did talk with a mentor and research heavily before posting. I respec'd every way I could imagine. I looked at stats and skills I could find on other players. Nothing I tried made any notable difference. Also, 'stance dancing', though common sense, isn't something I saw out there. Additionally, something i didn't see out there was that using the dagger I started with was a bad idea for a young rogue (this turns out to be a really bad idea at my current level IMO).

After reading some of the responses, and talking to a few people on Discord (which has been the best tool thus far), I believe I've found a way to make it a bit further. So, in the hopes of either 'getting it' or getting far enough along to get past this wall, I'm going to try that a bit. However, I still stand by everything I've said. I believe the average new player wouldn't continue on based on what I've seen and experienced. People, by and large, are not accustom to putting in that level of effort from the word go. I've played some rather difficult mechanics in MMORPGs (with end level raiding for about 7 years). I have no issue putting in the work... but, no one likes banging their head against a bed of spikes for eternity.

FWIW - I didn't post this as a complaint per say. I posted it as feedback. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of feedback from newer players and I think it's sorely needed.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/09/2019 08:39 AM CST
My own response to the "Hogwash" answer was that--by definition--five of those six professions' runs were NOT done by somebody trying to overcome the mass of mechanics involved in learning the game. (i.e. "You already knew what the hell you were doing.")
Maybe even all six, if that one was not your first character.

There really is a world of difference between a new player who's jumping into it from scratch, and an experienced pro who's rolling up a little character as a goof.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/09/2019 10:14 AM CST
At level 14 you need to stance dance, and you need a choice of weaponry. Something you can swing fast when the critter is fast and you need to dance fast, and something you can swing hard when the critter is armored. There are still critters where sitting in the same stance works, but its becoming a lot more important to dance once you are past level 10 and a lot more tedious if you don't.

Assuming you are OHE, you should have handaxe, shortsword and dagger (others can be made to work too but thats the range of weaponry to have).

You should be using mostly the handaxe, but there will be a few situations where the extra speed of the shortsword is worth it. You may have found the dagger useful earlier, and it will be useful again once you have the training to ambush, but at level 14 its just for skinning.

There are still critters where it pays to pick the right stance and swing in it, but they are getting rarer and its getting grindier if you play that way. Unless the critter is really fast, its going to pay you to sit in defensive till the critter acts, stance offensive, attack it with your handaxe, stance defensive. If there are multiple critters, run away. (or pick a stance where they can't hurt you and nick them, or dance if they are acting in sync).

Once you are comfortable with that, look at the options for your shield points and try them out. Some of the shield skills work pretty well at boosting your attack in the teens (and earlier, its actually worth starting to experiment at level 5)

If you aren't paying, and are finding it grindy, thats why. You need to subscribe or buy whatever passes it takes to make the game feel less grindy. I think being relatively slow to level 10 is an advantage, but once into the teens F2P gets really grindy compared to subscriber mode.

I had an F2P rogue in Icemule until level 15 earlier this year. The 6-9 stuff (monkeys etc., lesser orcs etc., spectres) should be getting too easy but still fine to practice skills on. Silverbacks (next up from lesser orcs/spectres) are huntable from as soon as you get 4x gear, but you need modest dancing skills and the right weapon (handaxe or equivalent). Dogs and guardians (next up from monkeys) are tactically tricky, you need to run away a lot and have a lot of patience particularly when learning that area. Sentries (next up from guardians) aren't as tactically tricky, if you get comfortable with the dog area, you can take the sentries no problem. If you get comfortable with sentries, you can take the ogres (next up from silverbacks). After that you need a cleric friend or to switch towns. Everyone dies a lot in urchins (next up from sentries) and there's a lot of undead among the other options.
Re: New player experience & feedback 12/09/2019 12:18 PM CST
<My own response to the "Hogwash" answer was that--by definition--five of those six professions' runs were NOT done by somebody trying to overcome the mass of mechanics involved in learning the game. (i.e. "You already knew what the hell you were doing.")>

I'll give you 3 of six, but no more. The empath and sorcerer were my first two and played alternately for several years. The sorcerer was fairly easy but the empath only made it into her 20's because she could heal and the switch from GS3 to GS4 bumped her up several levels. In 10 years she didn't make it past level 25 before I figured out how to hunt effectively with her, by that time I had the sorcerer and the rogue into their 60's (I tended to RP as much as hunt and didn't put much effort into leveling back then, but that's still a long time for it to click).

The rogue was rolled up on day 1 of GS4 using a hunting style I was completely unfamiliar with. Sure, I had a leg up on some things, but when your only two hunting characters are a CS caster and a ranged user, it's almost like playing two different games from a hunting perspective.

At any rate, that comment (well, the whole post, really) was more to say "yes, you can do it even if you're not getting mechanical assistance from others" then to blow my own horn. Had the OP been more specific about what type of rogue they're trying to play (which I suggested they do in the Rogue folder) and/or what specifically is killing them, I'd have offered up more specific advice... but without knowing if they're ranged, sword and board, brawling, etc or what they've been trying to hunt, I'd just frustrate and confuse further by tossing a bunch of irrelevant info in with what they need.

Heck, if they wanna poke me on Discord (Starchitin#9989) today or tomorrow, I'd be happy to log in and shadow them on a hunt or two answering questions and offering pointers along the way...maybe even give them a couple things in my lockers that can help if I have anything they can use. Unfortunately, work won't allow me to do that til after the holiday if they don't get me now, though.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: New player experience & feedback 12/09/2019 01:12 PM CST
"when your only two hunting characters are a CS caster and a ranged user, it's almost like playing two different games from a hunting perspective." -- Starchitin

This is another good thing to remember, on both sides of the discussion. (What mind-set advice is coming from, whether you're the one giving or receiving.)

After several years playing the Bard nearly exclusively, it required some substantial adjustments to thought process to go back to a melee character--bringing up the Monk, or now with the Fighter to get into the plate Mist Ring--and that whole "hard RT" means I can't do WHAT?!?!
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/05/2020 11:34 PM CST
Don't know if you are still reading this forum, but if you want the best professional advice on how to hunt a rogue, go to the rogue forums.

Daggers are crap until you can reliably hide and aim an attack for the eyes or neck. Falchion and/or handaxe is the way to go.

The first 10 levels are seriously easy, at least in the Landing area. Lots of dinky critters without spells or maneuver attacks.

It's also very easy to go to TSC and ask for protective spells. Also, get Lich; everybody uses it for in game communication. Use it to ask for spells, other help,
or even hunting partners.

"So, what does that green line on the bttom of the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining evil character alignment."
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/06/2020 06:28 PM CST

>>everybody uses it for in game communication

nope

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/07/2020 12:02 AM CST

nope
Clunk

Seconded. Though I gotta admit that the realms feel very different from the GEnie days, AOL days or the move to the web. Though I see 300 to 500 characters online the Thought Net and Voln Net are dead. At times it feels odd, one might even say unsettling even in comparison to those prior days. Maybe the Elven Nations are more busy on those channels. (shrugs)
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/07/2020 08:03 AM CST
> Maybe the Elven Nations are more busy on those channels.

They aren't.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/08/2020 11:12 AM CST
<nope>

Thirded.... and if Krakii's paying attention to this thread it's only a matter of time til it's fourthed.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: New player experience & feedback 01/09/2020 09:04 AM CST
Hey! We few who don't use Lich should start our own Lich chann--....

<mutter, grumble, sear, kick puppy>
Re: New player experience & feedback 01/09/2020 06:59 PM CST

Fifthed, and notified SPCA.

:D