1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/22/2019 05:00 PM CDT

Hi,

I just started today. Found the first job of collecting orchil lichen. Spend hours looking for underground tunnels (without map it is impossible to find because there is no clue at all how to enter from the bottom of the well this was really unfair from the game designers) now i am fighting rats and have two question. I choose wizard. I use attack command to use my only available spell arcane blast. For unknown reason i can not use two other spells like minor shock and sleep. I have them but can not cast very flustrating.

My first question is what I should equip? I have iron rod, rune staff, shield and some swords. Because I am wizzard I am trying to use rune staff but maybe iron rod is better? I have no clue at all here.

Second question should I go to the inn to check in or can advance skills using goals underground?

I am totally lost here, please help

Thank you in the advance!
Re: 1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/22/2019 05:34 PM CDT
Hey, Ollo, welcome to Elanthia!

I can't help anything related to wizarding, but you can advance to train your skills without the old-school check inn at the Inn. There's a little bitty GOALS button at the bottom of the StormFront story window that will take you to the GUI for skills training after you advance a level.

What I did when I was in your spot was ... I made a NUISANCE of myself at Silverwood Manor and asked the Mentors when I had questions. DIR SILVERWOOD MANOR should get you there. They were amazing!

The Landing is a confusing and busy place to start, but it is at the heart of a huge storyline right now, so ask questions, make friends, bug them to death with more questions!

It worked for me! And I think my friends are still speaking to me! :)

~Luxie

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: 1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/22/2019 05:48 PM CDT

Thx a lot Luxie!

Hope we will meet someday :-)
Re: 1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/22/2019 07:57 PM CDT
<Found the first job of collecting orchil lichen. Spend hours looking for underground tunnels (without map it is impossible to find because there is no clue at all how to enter from the bottom of the well this was really unfair from the game designers) now i am fighting rats and have two question.>

On the wiki page for each town, there's a link at the bottom labeled "Area Maps". That will bring you to a list of maps of that town and the areas around it.

For foraging tasks, the following site is invaluable. Just go to the map for the area you're sent to look for the foragable, click on what you're looking for, and the rooms it has been confirmed to be in will be highlighted for you:
http://www.virilneus.com/roomdata/room.php?realm=Wehnimer%27s%20Landing&map=WL-wehnimers

<My first question is what I should equip? I have iron rod, rune staff, shield and some swords. Because I am wizzard I am trying to use rune staff but maybe iron rod is better? I have no clue at all here.>

The rune staff is a wizard's "weapon". You won't swing it, you'll just hold it in your right hand for defense. It requires no special training other then your normal spell/magic skills that you should be training in anyway.

The iron rod is a wand. I would assume it has the spell Minor Shock (901) or some other bolt spell in it, though you'd need to wave it as a critter or have a bard sing to it to confirm that (if you just wave it without a target, you'll cast it on yourself... not advised). Assuming it has an offensive spell in it, just hold it on your left hand and wave it at critters to use it. It has a limited number of charges, though. (silver wands and iron wands you might find on critters do the same thing).

<I use attack command to use my only available spell arcane blast. For unknown reason i can not use two other spells like minor shock and sleep. I have them but can not cast very flustrating.>

There are two ways you can cast these spells:

1. PREPARE 901 to prepare Minor Shock, then CAST [CRITTER] to cast it at your foe. Be warned, if you just type CAST without specifying a critter, you will attack yourself with the spell. To cast Sleep, you would PREPRE 501 instead. This use to be the only way to cast spells

2. The newer method is to simply INCANT 901 (for minor shock) or INCANT 501 (for sleep) and it will automatically target and cast the spell the first critter in the room. If there are more then one critters in the room, say a kobold and a rolton, and the one you wand to cast at isn't the first one on the list, you can use TARGET first to select which one to target with INCANT (ex TARGET ROLTON then INCANT 901)

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/22/2019 08:04 PM CDT
<What I did when I was in your spot was ... I made a NUISANCE of myself at Silverwood Manor and asked the Mentors when I had questions. DIR SILVERWOOD MANOR should get you there. They were amazing!>

Yes, this! The Mentors are an amazing resource that aren't nearly appreciated enough. If they don't know the answers themselves, they can almost always pull in someone that does or point you towards a good resource for it. They're other players that volunteer to (among other things) be on call to help anyone that has questions about just about anything Gemstone related!

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1 day old wizard here two questions~- please help 08/23/2019 10:10 AM CDT
>1. PREPARE 901 to prepare Minor Shock, then CAST [CRITTER] to cast it at your foe. Be warned, if you just type CAST without specifying a critter, you will attack yourself with the spell. To cast Sleep, you would PREPRE 501 instead. This use to be the only way to cast spells

You have to be level 1 before you can do this.