Wonders of Elanthia - Kharam Dzu 05/21/2016 09:14 AM CDT
[The Whining Elf, Bar] Woven mats are nailed over the broken front window to keep out the dust of the street. A scattering of filthy straw serves as a floor covering. Behind the bar, glasses are stacked haphazardly in the rusted sink. Giantmen, miners, and dwarves lean against the battered bar, casting a cursory glance at new arrivals. Barely visible through the rising dust and smoke is a dark curtain, over which hangs a small handwritten sign. You also see the Maags disk, the Meril disk, a rambunctious solar spirit that is flying around, a sleek sable wildcat, the Maylan disk, a distressed lavaflow spirit that is flying around, the Darqwolf disk, the Taenarion disk, the Jara disk, a crested pitohui, a silver-traced carved mahogany cart with a bottle of dwarven stout on it and an enormous giantman. Also here: Hoy, Arrogant, Dryhtnes, Roblar, Terrant, Leslieleanna. Ariond, Adelynn, Amminar, High Lady Jodia, Great Lord Seeley, Lorekeeper Maags, Meril, Great Lord Nairdin who is sitting, Gweneivia who is sitting, Lorekeeper Archales, Jemiquist, Lorekeeper Svantai, Ralhn, Lorekeeper Silverthorne, Miss Bliza, Originator Maylan who is sitting, Darqwolf, Lord Taenarion who is sitting, Reagan, Grand Lord Jara who is sitting, Civil Servant Regnarohk Obvious exits: out

Maags brightly exclaims, "Good evenings everybodies! Welcomes to the Whining Elf!"
Gweneivia beams happily at Maags!
Archales put a bottle of dwarven stout in his threaded hip-satchel.
Maags glances around the room.
Maags informs, "My name is Maags and I am a Lorekeeper of Silverwood Manor."
Nairdin waves to Maags.
Maags exclaims, "Most of yous I know!"
Silverthorne turns to Maags and cheers!
Maags flashes a quick grin.
Maags says, "Tonight, as part of the Wonders of Elanthia lore sharing, I will be retelling what I has learned about how this bar came to be The Whining Elf."
One grimy dwarf asks a giant, "Hey, know how many dwarves it takes ta light up a sconce? None! We can see in th' dark!"
The dwarf collapses in a howl of laughter.
Maags says, "Sillies dwarf."
Maags grins.
Gweneivia grins.
Maags indulgently says, "So has youself a drink, but yous might rather has snacks......later, somewhere else."
Maags exclaims, "Has seat if yous wish and we will gets this story started!"
Alifair chuckles.
Gweneivia sits down next to Maags.
Maags begins, "Manies years ago, in the mining city of Zul Logoth, lived a dwarf by the name of Kagnek. The young Kagnek had travelled to the city to find work, after coming of age in the tiny settlement where he had been raised."
Taenarion sits down.
Nairdin sits down.
Maags says, "Kagnek did find work there, and he labored for years in the lucrative mining trade of the region. But he had decided to specialize in precious gems, instead of the veins of ore that most other dwarves sought. This was not to be the last good decision Kagnek was to make!"
Maags continues, "Then one day, word came to Zul that the Borthuum clan had founded a new settlement by the name of Kharam Dzu on the isle of Teras. Kagnek saw more opportunities for his keen business sense to be put to use, and decided it was time to move on."
The floorboards creek slightly as a small tremor passes through the area.
Maags sways back and forth.
Maags says, "And so, Kagnek sold his prosperous prospecting rights in Zul Logoth for a percentage of anys future discoveries. He made his way to Teras on the Glaesen Star which left from the backwater port town of Wehnimer's Landing."
Maags exclaims, "Backwater!"
Gweneivia adopts an agreeable expression.
Maags says, "Soon he arrived at Teras, and it didnts take him long to realize that the idea of a drinking establishment in a city full of dwarves and giantkin was hardlies a novel idea!"
Gweneivia softly says, "Some things never change."
Maags grins at Gweneivia.
Maags nods.
Maags says, "What Kagnek noticed, however, was that all the bars, inns and taverns in town were in the nicer neighborhoods on the east side of the Ghorsa Isle bridge."
Maags says, "Believing there was another market and population to serve, Kagnek went and found a building on the west side that he thought would do nicelies for a tavern. Since that part of town was mostlies full of dock workers and less desirable elements of the populace, he paid a fraction of what he would has had to elsewhere."
Maags glances east.
Maags exclaims, "This one rights here!"
Maags glances appraisingly around the room.
Maags grins.
Maags worriedly says, "Kagnek knew that supplies would be a problem in the isolated settlement. He remembered well the difficulties the local tavern owners in Zul Logoth had with getting quality ingredients, and so they often made their own. It would be no different on Teras."
Nairdin glances around the room.
From out of nowhere, you get slapped on the shoulder, as a voice roars over your shoulder, "Hey buddy! How ya been doin'?"
Twisting your head around to look, you see a dwarf, covered with enough filth to floor a stable. "Oh! 'scuse me. I thunk you was som'un I knows...", he mutters before staggering away.
Maags leans against a battered bar.
Maags says, "Kagnek had brought with him from Zul Logoth the necessaries supplies to brew his own family recipe ale. However, he knew it would be several weeks before the elixir would be readies for sale. He would has to find a local supplier to provide for him in the meantime."
Jara grins.
Nairdin grumbles.
Maags takes a drink from her dwarven stout.
Maags licks her lips.
Jara takes a drink from his dwarven stout.
Maags nods approvingly at Jara.
Jara adopts an agreeable expression.
Maags says, "Unfortunatelies, with all the other establishments alreadies open and supplies in high demand, Kagnek would either has to sacrifice quality, or else charge prices that his clientele could not afford for long."
Maags dramatically exclaims, "Such a quandaries!"
Maags flails her arms about.
Regnarohk takes a drink from his golden lager.
Terrant takes a drink from his dwarven stout.
Maags frustratedly says, "Search as he might, Kagnek had no luck in finding anybodies that could supplies him with the ale he needed at prices that were not prohibitive."
Svantai turns an inquisitive ear toward Maags.
Taenarion takes a drink from his dwarven stout.
Maags furrows her brow, probably adding a wrinkle or two in the process.
Maags says, "Kagnek did has some luck however, and eventuallies found a source for whiskey. He also got the local baker to agrees to sell him day old bread at an agreeable price."
The room falls silent. Everyone's staring at the elves.
At the back table, one dwarf mumbles something, and his companions snicker loudly.
Maags says, "Yous never can find day old tarts."
Maags bounces around happily.
Ariond smiles at Maags.
Maags grins at Ariond.
Amminar pours himself a bottle of dwarven stout.
Maags says, "But the ale Kagnek needed still eluded him until he was tipped off to a possible source - an elf by the name of Thorial."
Amminar takes a drink from his dwarven stout.
Maags says, "Word around the docks was that the elf had brought ten casks of ale with him to Kharam Dzu, hoping to makes a fortune in a market with scarce supplies."
Maags takes a drink from her dwarven stout.
Maags exclaims, "Always somebodies trying to makes a fortune!"
Maags exclaims, "What Thorial did not count on was that even the promise of good ale could not seduce the dwarves to overcome their distaste of dealing with an elf. Each time he stopped at an inn his price became lower, until finallies Thorial found he was stuck with ten casks of ale that nobodies wanted to buy!"
Nairdin grunts in agreement.
Maags says, "Kagnek, who yous will remember had alreadies proven hisself quite the shrewd businessdwarf, was well aware of Thorial's predicament."
Maags gives her eyebrow a little workout.
Maags says, "He also knew that with all his coin tied up in ale that nobodies wanted, the now dismayed and disheartened elf could not even afford to buy a ticket home."
Maags leans against a dark curtain.
Maags sways back and forth.
Maags exclaims, "With no business in town that would deal with him, Thorial had little chance of selling his merchandise, except maybes to a local Lord or Lady. But no respectable dwarven nobleperson would be caught dead with elven ale in the cellars!"
Maags vigorously shakes her head.
Maags continues, "And so it was, after letting Thorial stew in his anxieties and depression for a few days more, Kagnek approached him with a possible offer to takes the ale off his hands."
Maags says, "Early morning sunlight caught the drifting ash in the air and made shadows dance across the rough cobblestones outside Kagnek's bar as the dwarf and the elf sat down to talks business."
Maags says, "Watching the ash drift lazilies toward the street, Kagnek deliberatlies appeared disinterested and unsure of being in the presence of a visiblies distraught Thorial. Nearby, the elf sat fidgeting at the course wooden bar, quite clearlies anxious to strike a deal."
Maags rubs a battered bar.
Maags patiently says, "Kagnek waited. He sipped his coffee and bided his time, watching the elf become increasinglies worked up."
Maags bites her lip.
Maags says, "Finallies, just when it appeared Thorial was about to speak, Kagnek turned to him and cooly inquired as to the asking price of his ale."
Maags says, "The dwarf of course, knew full well that the price had alreadies fallen to a mere fraction of what the elf had hoped to get for it when the casks were unloaded at the docks weeks earlier."
A dwarven miner asks, "Why do the mines have giant, poisonous bugs, while the west side of town has them elves?"
Maags amusedly exclaims, "Kagnek let Thorial gives his sales pitch. But the elf was not quite as stupid as Kagnek expected, or hoped, him to be!"
Maags giggles.
Maags says, "Thorial knew that Kagnek was between a fire and a volcano! But what he did not know was that Kagnek had his own homemade ale aging in the cellar, and would be able to open even without the elf's help in some few week's time."
Maags says, "When Kagnek informed Thorial that he had his own dwarven recipe fermenting right downstairs and that the elf's ale was not as necessaries as Thorial thought, what little resistance remained in the elf melted, his shoulders slumping."
Maags resignedly says, "A single, pitiful, whining sigh escaped the elf's lips as if signaling his final defeat, and Kagnek knew it was time to makes his offer! He chuckled to hisself over the ludicrous sound that had abruptly errupted out of the elf."
Maags says, "And finallies, after some last minute half-hearted protesting by Thorial, a deal was struck and the bar would has its ale for a small fraction of what it would typicallies cost."
Maags leans on Nairdin, giving him a companionable grin.
Maags says, "Thorial stood to leave, informing Kagnek that he would makes arrangements for the ale to be delivered that afternoon. Unable to stop hisself, Kagnek spoke up just as the elf reached the door."
Maags recites magnanimously:
"Hey elf! I'll tell you what...I feel bad about your situation here, so if you ever need a job, you can come work for me here, alright?"
Maags amusedly exclaims, "The glare he got in return let Kagnek know how Thorial felt about that particular offer!"
Nairdin giggles.
Maags grins.
Maags says, "Again, Kagnek yells for Thorial's attention -"
Maags gives her eyebrow a little workout.
Maags recites consolingly:
"Alright, alright, well if that doesn't do anything for you, I'll let you in on a secret. This place doesn't have a name yet...so I think I'm going to name it after you!"
Meril takes a deep breath, blinking a couple of times before resuming a calm expression.
Nairdin grunts, amused.
Maags winks at Nairdin.
Maags says, "Thorial's ears perked up a bit at the sound of this news and he stood up a little straighter and tugged at the front of his coat."
Leslieanna smirks.
Maags says, "Thorial responds -"
Maags leans against a battered bar.
Svantai grins slowly.
Maags recites proudly:
"You're going to name your establishment Thorial's? That's very kind and good of you, Kagnek. I may have misread you after all."

Gweneivia snickers.
Maags flashes a quick grin.
Maags says, "Unable to holds back, Kagnek bust out into raucous laughter, catching Thorial by surprise. When asked what was so humorous, Kagnek replied..."
Maylan giggles.
Maags leans forward.
Maags recites bemusedly:
"I'm naming the bar after you, lad, but it won't bear your name. You be standing in the middle of what will now be known as, 'The Whining Elf!'"

Ariond smirks.
Gweneivia lets out a cheer!
Maags taps a battered bar.
Maylan whistles tunelessly to herself.
Nairdin cackles!
Maags says, "With that, Thorial turned beet red, spun on his heel and stomped out into the orange Teras morning."
Leslieanna snickers.
Arrogant chuckles.
Maylan applauds.
Jodia chuckles.
You giggle.
Bliza applauds.
Ariond applauds Maags.
Maags say, "Kagnek went on laughing and laughing by hisself inside what would be his now fullies stocked bar."
Gweneivia applauds Maags.
Archales applauds Maags.
Jara applauds.
Maags grins.
Reagan applauds Maags.
Silverthorne grins at Maags.
You hear someone mutter something under his breath.
Jodia applauds Maags.
Maags exclaims, "And that my friends, is how this place came to be!"
Svantai applauds.
Maags lets out a cheer!
Nairdin turns to Maags and cheers!
Jemiquist smiles.
Regnarohk applauds.
Speaking to Maags, Ariond exclaims, "Well-told, indeed!"
Arrogant applauds.
Jara lets out a cheer!
Jemiquist says, "Well done."
Maylan applauds wildly! > Jemiquist nods approvingly.
Jara raises his dwarven stout in a toast!
Leslieanna grins.
Maags exclaims, "Thank yous all for indulging me to tells yous this story!"
Darqwolf applauds Maags.
Regnarohk raises his golden lager in a toast!
Taenarion applauds Maags.
Ralhn applauds Maags.
Jara bows to Maags.
Ralhn takes a drink from his dwarven stout.
Maags exclaims, "Please be sure yous gets yous souvenir in the cottage!"
Maags lets out a cheer!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese