Guardians of Sunfist help 07/29/2020 05:24 PM CDT

I have had characters master CoL and Voln, but never had a character even try GoS. So I took an old character, a bard, and had him join GoS. My bard is level 50, and I made it to rank 15 fairly easily. But now I have to raze 5 warcamps. I am so very frustrated. The mobs in the camp aren't impossible, and the challenge of some of them can be fun, but the swarming is just out of control. I've tried the tip of staying in a corner, but one walks in and then I have 5 on me before I'm even out of 5 seconds of RT. Are these warcamps soloable at level 50? I haven't even razed a single warcamp, and I've been trying for more than a week. I bet the number of grimswarm I've actually had enough time to kill I could count on one hand. I'm a lancing bard. I swing at about 370, so I hit fairly hard - it's just the swarming that is completely unmanageable. Even spamming 410 I can't remotely control the swarms.
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/29/2020 07:36 PM CDT
>>the swarming is just out of control.

It is definitely one of the 'hotspots' of the game, in a lot of cases. You don't mention it, but I suspect you're trying to solo this task. It would be much easier in a group, but if you want to run solo:

1) Carefully pick your warcamp. Large warcamps spawn large numbers, and frequently. Smaller warcamps may spawn the same percent of grimswarm, and just as frequently, but the spawning always occurs throughout the camp. So the smaller ones just end up being more manageable. For those characters that I've played where I wanted to solo, I would actively seek out warcamps 50 critters or below, as an example.

2) Don't try to enter and rule a warcamp that has been riled. Ever. For any reason.

3) Usually you can arrange things to meet one guard at a time. Do that. And take the guard out hard and fast - they break stuns, so don't mess around with them. As close to one shot kills as you can manage, or huge RT inducing moves that give you a couple of shots to kill. This will serve you in good stead.

4) When the camp riles up (I've only ever managed to avoid riling up a camp when it was under 10 enemies, and even that was just luck), exit. Wait for it to calm back down and then go back to work.

These are difficult foes, and the challenge is difficult. You can only chip away at it, you can't stand toe to toe - even large groups can be massacred outright in large camps. Patience and knowing when to exit are your best friends, followed by death-dealing blows and moving cautiously. In small camps.

Doug
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/29/2020 09:30 PM CDT

Ok, I didn't know the numbers in the camp could get that low. I've only seen camps in range of 100-500. Yes, I'm going at it solo. Thank you for the tips. I'll have some time this weekend to try some more. One of my camps has to be a large camp though...I don't know how I'm ever going to tackle a large camp by myself if they have 100's of foes.
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/30/2020 12:34 AM CDT
Also, there are three types of Grimswarm (giant, troll, orc).

Orcs are easiest if you can find one of those camps.
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/30/2020 12:36 AM CDT
The Drakes Vanguard also does a warcamp night.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/30/2020 08:31 AM CDT
I also was just revisiting some old posts to research on this! Thanks for making it current.

Radeek, am I correct that the warcamp night is still on Tuesday's at the location outside the East side of the Landing?

(I have literally "stepped foot in a warcamp" twice: the first time I went solo & died, and the second time I went with a buddy so we pulled down the banner and walked out. So take this with a grain of salt.)

I, too, am a Bard looking for 15th rank, but all I have done with it--since August of last year when I asked the same question...--has been to think & theorize.

Some thoughts for Saxman:
- In my 50s I was down in Stone Trolls/Stone Giants, and would routinely run Tonis/1035 much of the time. If using a sonic weapon and getting double flares every so often, you should be swinging in 3s while in Tonis. Now that Harness Power ranks give so much more mana earlier on, this should be well within the realm of possibilities. (50 ranks used to be 150 mana; now it should be 200. That's a free cast-and-a-half of Tonis.)

- Giants have a ton of hit points. Trolls have big stacks of hit points and regenerate. Neither is really suitable for killing things quickly. I saw a lot of that facing those two critters just in a regular area, never mind a warcamp.

- The creatures break stuns... do they also wake up from Lullabye?

- Do you have ways to inflict "more RT than you have"?
Feint (especially while under Tonis).
Rage.
EWave. (Watch out for the Shroud.)
Depression not only helps you hit them better with spells afterward, but gives EVERY action that they take thereafter additional RT. (So 'stand up'... now with more RT. 'Prep a spell'... now with more RT. 'Cast that spell'... now with more RT.) But again, watch out for the Shroud.

If anyone else wants to shoot holes or tell me where I'm wrong, you will probably help save my life when I go in and remember not to try something that I've been told won't work... :)

And of course, if other Bards with experience in the camps want to drop some hints of what works, I am all ears!
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 07/30/2020 12:12 PM CDT
<Radeek, am I correct that the warcamp night is still on Tuesday's at the location outside the East side of the Landing? -Krakii

I think it is still on Tuesday, but due to my work schedule evenings are out for me (and have been for quite some time) so I haven't been able to attend.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Guardians of Sunfist help 08/07/2020 11:27 PM CDT
If you're a premium subscriber, Four Winds Isle camps are smaller. (Sorry if someone already mentioned that; I skimmed.)

--Jen