ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/01/2020 11:55 AM CDT
You will now receive a message if someone nominates you.

You feel recognized by your fellow adventurers for your recent actions.

Wyrom, PM
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/02/2020 10:12 PM CDT
1) Can we get a way to stealth nominate someone?

2) Can we get some additional text with the verb to give an idea of how it should be used?

IE: nominating too much, nominating on too little, nominating for the heck of it, nominating for non-RP, etc
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/07/2020 02:23 AM CDT
>>1) Can we get a way to stealth nominate someone?

I can work something like that in. Keep in mind though, it might help the player you're nominating know their actions are enjoyed. I know right now, during this contest, many are using it for silly things. Afterwards though, it should be pretty handy.

>>2) Can we get some additional text with the verb to give an idea of how it should be used?

I can also add something like this into the usage. We're monitoring things right now, since it's getting heavy use, so some of the cooldowns might not stay as is.

Wyrom, PM
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/07/2020 02:12 PM CDT
I'm sure I'm over thinking it...

My concern is being in one-on-one RP with someone and then you nominate them and it changes things, in however many ways "things" could be changed in that moment after becoming aware the person you're with nominated you.

I'm also concerned about creating a situation of expectation, particularly if the nominates lead to RPAs. While repeated RP with someone is not a bad thing, I'd hate for there to be expectations of RPAs and hurt feelings about reciprocation and what have you.

Does that make sense? I just feel that a silent nomination should be the default in the long run. I do agree that being aware you're being nominated is a great feeling, I just think being able to pinpoint who did it takes away from it.

However, I suppose my point of view is skewed towards one-on-one RP. I don't do much RP outside of that these days (for reasons) and so usually I'm in situations where the person will know exactly who nominated them.

Which brings me to the second thing regarding additional text (which might be better explained as being "tips" on how to use it and not how to mechanically use it)...

How often is "proper" to nominate the same person? I take it this is the cooldowns you're talking about? (actually I just did some testing and you do have a cooldown in place to prevent repeated nominations by the same person so I suppose this is solved by you GMs coming up with an appropriate cooldown timer)

What are proper things to nominate for? Anything and everything or do you want it more reserved for the heavier stuff?

Like... "roleplay nominate XXX we just had an intense RP session that spanned all corners of the world" vs "roleplay nominate XXX they healed me and RPed more than it just being typing the transfer command" vs "roleplay nominate XXX they said something funny"

So that's the kind of text I'm talking about.. more on the "tips" side of things about appropriate uses of it.

..and as I think about it, and again useful tips for the command..

So I know you want people to nominate "in the moment" so that a GM can look in and either add to it or give out RPAs first hand..

..but..

1) Again, with that one-on-one RP I don't necessarily want to nominate in the moment, and so will wait for a time later to sneak it in.

2) Sometimes I don't want a GM necessarily looking in on RP that's meant to be private (I guess when you think about it there's not much RP that couldn't be enhanced by GM interaction).

3) Sometimes I just don't think about it until later.

So I think it's pretty safe to say that if you nominate in the moment, and a GM looks in, RPAs will be given out as deemed appropriate.

However, how "successful" is nominating after the fact? How descriptive do you need to be to properly convey "this person deserves an RPA"?
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/07/2020 03:32 PM CDT
Might be overthinking it a bit. The ROLEPLAY NOMINATION tool is simply a communication tool. It lets staff know where RP is happening. It's not an RPA tool. It lets us know where to look and lets us establish a pattern. During the contest, we're checking in mostly after the nomination is made. It's no guarantee that a GM can look in right away. It is recommended to toss them out so we can watch the RP unfold though.

Wyrom, PM
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/07/2020 03:56 PM CDT

>>3) Sometimes I just don't think about it until later.

This ... plus ... for whatever reason, several of my characters have become accustomed to fairly constant roleplay of various sorts. Because of that, I don't realize until later that this was a character not yet familiar to my character (that sounds confusing, but). It's usually when I start thinking through how I'll follow up at next meeting, that I think - I should have nominated them.

Also, there are quite a few characters in game whose roleplay is so ongoing and consistent that it's just sort of expected for them.

Regarding immediate notice to the character nominated, perhaps add a random delay so that the recipient may not recognize who did the nominating, or perhaps a send the 'you were recognized' notice the next time that character comes into game. This might encourage the recipient to think through their encounter scenes, and perhaps nominate someone else entirely.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/08/2020 12:05 AM CDT
I've gone ahead and updated the verb some more, as well as some usage information. The silent option won't message the person with "You feel recognized by your fellow adventurers for your recent actions."
Usage:
ROLEPLAY NOMINATE <name> <reason> To nominate someone currently engaged in excellent roleplaying.
ROLEPLAY SILENTNOMINATE <name> <reason> To silently nominate someone currently engaged in excellent
roleplaying.
The ROLEPLAY verb is intended to be used as a communication
tool to let the GemStone IV GameMasters know when roleplaying
is happening and to highlight players who stay in-character.
You may nominate up to 5 people every 5 minutes before
nominating anyone else. You may nominate the same person
once every 15 minutes.

Wyrom, PM
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/08/2020 11:54 AM CDT
Some of my debugging messaging was in there, that's been cleaned up!

Wyrom, PM
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/10/2020 06:11 AM CDT
WINTERDAWN: "roleplay nominate XXX we just had an intense RP session that spanned all corners of the world" vs "roleplay nominate XXX they healed me and RPed more than it just being typing the transfer command" vs "roleplay nominate XXX they said something funny"

Honestly? I believe you could justify it in all three cases sometimes. I probably only use roleplay nominate about once a week on average. But I do use it consistently and for various reasons.

You can stop here unless you want my usual long-tailed posting (god i try to keep it short, but failure is mah middle name). Zorst, Dwi, and Clunk players may want to read on to find out how badly I may have embarassed them, or at least tried to. ::grins::

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(1) The intense RP session that spanned all corners of the world? That sort of RP session would be a great opportunity to nominate someone. No-brainer there, unless by the end of it you're falling asleep at the keyboard and forgot.

(2) They weren't just a healer bot? For gods sake, nominate them. I will nominate them too! Even nominate someone like Zorst (who likely will never heal you unless you beg him to) whose player's hatred for autohealers and scripting resulted in some really nifty roleplay opportunities that he seized nicely.

(3) They said something funny? Highly subjective but I feel that each player needs to roleplay nominate characters that consistently make them laugh. OR cry. OR want to go slay dragons. OR seethe in anger (all in good fun of course). It is this ability of someone else's character to draw us deeper into the world of Elanthia and, irl, feel as if we just read the Best. Book. Evarrrrrr (best chapter ever... best short story ever... or even just, best paragraph ever!)... the kind you just wanted to jump into the pages... that kind of thing makes a roleplay nominate happen quite often, for me at least, when I witness such a thing.

(4) They are an outstanding example of "stereotypical" roleplay being set for "healers" or "villains" or "dark elves" etc. If you're the best dang example I've ever seen of a Zelia follower, based on what I know about Zelia and her followers from past experience, then you're getting nominated for having taken the time to do your homework and play the part well, even if I feel that your actual roleplay SKILLZ were lacking somewhat. Unless your behavior is so bizarre that even Zelia herself would be left scratching her head wondering WTH happened. Hee Hee!

(5) They make terrific use or non-use of TONEs. I love it when people make me think: "Brilliant! I need to write down those dang tones!" But your use of them has to be appropriate and not interfere with my day. Sometimes overuse of tones is very annoying to me. But I deeply appreciate when people salt and pepper their character with appropriate and well-timed tones. I also appreciate characters who consistently don't use tones at all.

(5) They bring an element of freshness to the otherwise-boring roles we often play in Elanthia. The villain who is not afraid to rethink his position and be reformed over the course of a few years. The healer who is afraid of blood and takes a few years to settle into their role or who refuses for many years to heal bleeding wounds. These quirky characters sometimes get the nomination from me when I witness them in their "growth" process over a period of years...

Or even just a period of months!... Dwi was Soliere's first spa client who ever roleplayed a consistent "nail biter" in a world where fingernail polish never reflects this nail quality. But she consistently roleplayed reforming herself after Soliere painted her nails with polish that made the nails look well manicured.. she would always present her nails to Soliere so proudly that she had not bit them. After I was able to get a nailpolish modified to show "chewed fingernails"... she nicely roleplayed slipping back into her old habits of nailbiting. So that is a very "small" example of something someone did which has affected my character in such a way, that I can't help but roleplay nominate from time to time! So fresh and unusual. Well played, even before there WAS such a thing as nailbiter nail polish!

(6) They are Clunk. What more reason does one need, to issue a roleplay nomination? Since I learned about roleplay nominate, the first and last person who always comes to mind to nominate for Best Roleplay Ever, Consistently, For Many Years and Hopefully Years To Come, is Clunk. I have seen Clunk so painstakingly well roleplayed over the years (even many years ago when my rogue would be in hiding somewhere and Clunk would wander in and just spend a minute in the room "being Clunk" without knowing she was there). To the point where, even if Clunk is not in a room with anyone or anything except a plain room description, he is still roleplaying so well and so consistently, and often interacting all by himself in ways that draw attention to the surroundings.

So no worries on the timing of a roleplay nominate with Clunk -- the best of roleplayers -- if a GM peeks in on him at ANY time, I can almost guarantee he will get an award, because he's just not going to be acting out of character. And he might be interacting with a gem or a rock or a smooth stone or an acorn, iirc, even when NO ONE is around. I wish there were more people who played their characters like that. I wish I played mine half that well.

Love, hugs, and painfully long postings,
Soliere :) :)
One small step for a giantman. One giant leap for a gnome. :O
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/10/2020 06:38 AM CDT
Wyrom:
>> I've gone ahead and updated the verb some more, as well as some usage information. The silent option won't message the person with "You feel recognized by your fellow adventurers for your recent actions."

I love that we will have BOTH of these options, going forward.

I also really liked Clunk's suggestion that there be a sort of "time delayed" option. But I would not want it to be the only option available. So if you can pull off giving us that option without taking away the other two options, I would think the roleplay nominate system was amazing good. Just please don't put the time delayed message above the service show list because I would never see it then.

Soliere :)
Stop biting mah right elbow, Polvie! Thtoppit!
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 04/10/2020 03:09 PM CDT

Thanks (?).

Clunk

Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 06/29/2020 05:40 AM CDT
We have added a ROLEPLAY COMMEND option, which will message the player with "You feel recognized by your fellow adventurers for your recent actions." but not alert the GameMasters to the situation.

So you could use SILENTNOMINATE during the encounter and COMMEND after, if you don't want to disrupt the roleplay in the moment but do want to give the player an attaboy.

~Vanah
Re: ROLEPLAY NOMINATE Update 06/30/2020 06:24 PM CDT

Thanks you for this.

Clunk