permanence 05/04/2017 11:00 AM CDT

Any chance we'll see another certificate for changing type of housing to the non-rental variety any time in the foreseeable future, I am at the point I have paid almost as much monthyly rent as I paid for my deed, would love to just get that over with.

Ardwen
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:14 PM CDT
There aren't any plans for this anytime soon. There was a raffle for this two years ago and only 2 people even entered.

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:23 PM CDT
The price of the ticket was most likely the reason that only 2 people entered.

If the ticket cost were much lower, there would be more entries. (10m is too much).

I'd like to see a SimuCoin option to make it permanent.
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:36 PM CDT

I disagree with the simucoin option, and frequent release of these. Deed homes are already rare enough. To essentially make it mass-available to have them permanantly removed from the market is... in my opinion, poor taste.
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:44 PM CDT
Custom private properties are offered via the SimuCoin store.

And as long as the rent is paid, it's never going to return to the market anyway.

Offering permanence just makes it less stressful for current owners.

I understand you might want a private property, but hoping they never offer permanence so you can, in a sense, steal someones property, is poor taste.
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:50 PM CDT

I have a private property, thanks. So there's no stealing involved. And yes, I still feel the same way. And... it's stressful to visit your home once per month to pay rent? Really? Even then, once per month isn't necessary. Once per 3 months. But... I guess that brings up another problem all together.
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 01:53 PM CDT

>Offering permanence just makes it less stressful for current owners.

how is paying rent stressful? is setting reminders so hard?

>I understand you might want a private property, but hoping they never offer permanence so you can, in a sense, steal someones property, is poor taste.

wow, steal someone's property? get a grip.
Re: permanence 05/04/2017 02:05 PM CDT
In my opinion, the only properties that should require rent are properties that are won via raffle. If you pay a huge amount of silvers for a private property, it should be yours, permanently. When properties can sell for a hundred million silvers, the person shouldn't have to worry about it being repossessed.

Stressful is probably not the correct word to use when it comes to paying rent, paying rent is more of an annoyance.

Private properties should be rare, but allowing me to make my property permanent doesn't prevent more being released.
Re: permanence 05/18/2017 05:17 PM CDT
10m to permanently own a home rent free is a steal.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: permanence 05/19/2017 01:41 AM CDT
Having rent on homes is stupid. This isn't a real government, this money isn't going to fixing roads or food stamps.

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: permanence 05/19/2017 02:41 PM CDT
The rent is only there as a way to keep private homes from becoming empty space never accessed by people who have long ago quit. I think the checking in without rent would accomplish the same thing, but it isn't like it's a lot of coins or something. It's a pretty small price.

As for 10 million being a steal for permanence, I think that's a stretch. At 50k per month rent, that's 16 years and 8 months of rent. If you're not around, sure, then it's a steal. Otherwise not a steal.

Kerl
Re: permanence 05/19/2017 03:23 PM CDT
Just to clarify, it was 10 million for the raffle ticket. If you won the raffle, you had to pay 20 million on top of that.

Would I pay it? Yes.

I'm still hoping for the opportunity to be placed in the Simucoin store though.
Re: permanence 05/22/2017 04:03 PM CDT

as I was waiting for upgrades I couldn't enter that raffle, as you yourself informed me when I inquired before the raffle. And I'd happily use the store option if thats the way it goes, paying rent for more then a decade is at times a bit of a hassle.
Re: permanence 06/17/2017 12:30 AM CDT
I do wish some sort of leeway was given for hardship cases. I understand the need for rules, yet when things are out of your control, it really sucks sometimes.

Example, I won the auction for Twilight Manor outside of Ta'Vaalor and paid my rent like clockwork. I had a stroke and had a long term stay in a rehab hospital. Upon returning home, still unable to use my left arm at all, I logged into Gemstone in order to go pay my rent only to find out I was too late, it had been repossessed. I used my home, left it open so anyone who wanted to use it could, shared it with everyone because honestly, it was pretty cool and a fun role-playing out some house parties. Since you can't prepay your rent, a long term hospital stay cost me quite a bit. Even assisting about it, I was told there was nothing I could do.

I think being so hard and fast on the rules doesn't always work in anyone's best interest.
Re: permanence 06/17/2017 09:01 AM CDT
I know that they've done things like put accounts on hold, such as for service members getting deployed. Obviously, something unexpected like a hospital stay--glad you're feeling better!!--is not known in advance, though.

This could be a situation where it behooves you to have a family member bring in your laptop, and you talk them through the process at bedside.
(And then figure out a way to change your password, so those damn kids can't be romping around through your account, of course...)
Re: permanence 06/17/2017 09:11 AM CDT
>> This could be a situation where it behooves you to have a family member bring in your laptop, and you talk them through the process at bedside.
(And then figure out a way to change your password, so those damn kids can't be romping around through your account, of course...)

I'm not sure I agree with this advice at all. I do think some consideration could be given for hardship cases on a case by case basis. I don't know how often something like this would come up or be an issue though.

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: permanence 06/17/2017 09:42 PM CDT
<I know that they've done things like put accounts on hold, such as for service members getting deployed. Obviously, something unexpected like a hospital stay...

There is actually something already in the policy agreement for situations like this:

If a situation arises which may keep you from accessing the game, and possibly send your property into repossession, it is YOUR responsibility to contact the Private Property guru as soon as you can to make arrangements. Do not wait until after you return and the property has been repossessed. If arrangements are made beforehand, repossession can be held off for a time.

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: permanence 06/18/2017 12:27 AM CDT
Learning how to walk and talk again take precedence over calling Simutronics. Especially when someone is in such a fragile state. I know no one there cares, but for others, it would be nice if some leniency was offered.
Re: permanence 06/19/2017 09:02 AM CDT
They care, because they're not "out to get people." They don't spend time lurking around waiting for someone to fail to pay their rent, and swoop in with a cackle to repossess it.
It's an automated process--great things, computers!--and when its condition gets triggered, it fires off.

Personally, I agree that being able to pre-pay rent, to some extent, would be the way to go.
Pre-pay by three months/one quarter, with a three month/one quarter grace period; if have to (back-)pay during the grace period, it goes up by +10%, penalty for not being timely.

Most people can get things done in a half year span, either themselves or by having someone else login/give the firm a call for them.
Re: permanence 06/19/2017 10:36 AM CDT
> Pre-pay by three months/one quarter, with a three month/one quarter grace period; if have to (back-)pay during the grace period, it goes up by +10%, penalty for not being timely.

This is a good suggestion. I hope staff will consider it.
Re: permanence 06/19/2017 12:07 PM CDT
This suggestion also lines up nicely with how professional guild dues are taken care of - where you can be negligent for up to a month and still be a member, and likewise can still prepay up to 3 months.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: permanence 06/19/2017 03:17 PM CDT

>Learning how to walk and talk again take precedence over calling Simutronics. Especially when someone is in such a fragile state. I know no one there cares, but for others, it would be nice if some leniency was offered.

I get where you're coming from, but you also have to consider the other side of things. Depending on how long you were gone, which what you said makes me think it was well over 6 months, but please correct me if I'm wrong, it has probably been renovated and maybe even re-released for new ownership. It wouldn't be fair to the new owner to find out after the fact that they can no longer own the property they won.
Re: permanence 06/20/2017 08:28 PM CDT
The whole "out to get people" comment -- I never said that. I'm not even bringing this up for myself but for some consideration to people this happens to in the future. With an aging population in Gemstone, it is likely it will happen again.

<<Depending on how long you were gone, which what you said makes me think it was well over 6 months, but please correct me if I'm wrong, it has probably been renovated and maybe even re-released for new ownership. It wouldn't be fair to the new owner to find out after the fact that they can no longer own the property they won.>>

If I remember right I was about a week late for the 90 day cutoff. Spoke to a GH. I was told I was out of luck.

I'm bringing this up not to whine and cry about it. What's done is done. But at a time when I was really down and hating life it was a kick in the face. I didn't rage quit over it.

I just think some things could be taken into consideration so there were more stories about how great players were treated instead of how Simu wouldn't budge because it was a rule.
Re: permanence 06/20/2017 09:54 PM CDT
On a tangential note: Glad to see you are up and kicking again Nandy!

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: permanence 06/21/2017 08:52 AM CDT
When I said "out to get", I didn't mean it in the "hunt you down creepy stalker" sort of way; more in the "being intentionally punitive" sort of way.
They want people to be pleased with their experience here.

That said, they do not have 24/7 staff coverage.
So bunches of things are automated.
So bunches of things happen... just because.
"This Time Marker Passed. DING! <Stuff Happens>"

And I agree with the other Robert: it's good that you've recovered enough to be active in GemStone! (Heck, you might even be able to pass off "all this typing practice" as physical therapy, because of the fine motor skills involved with finger control in speed typing! :)
Re: permanence 06/23/2017 03:16 PM CDT
<<And I agree with the other Robert: it's good that you've recovered enough to be active in GemStone! (Heck, you might even be able to pass off "all this typing practice" as physical therapy, because of the fine motor skills involved with finger control in speed typing! :)>>

Thank you both. I'm not kicking very hard but I'm still here so that's something. And I do think it's therapy. From my first days of just trying to hold my left hand on the keyboard in the right position to being able to type whatever I want. And sometimes things I don't want!
Re: permanence 06/23/2017 03:19 PM CDT
<<When I said "out to get", I didn't mean it in the "hunt you down creepy stalker" sort of way; more in the "being intentionally punitive" sort of way.>>

I totally get this but I don't think any of it was intentional. Just people following the rules and not feeling able to say "hey, I think this might be a special circumstance. Let me push this up to someone else." Spending my career in customer service, I know the biggest trap is to pigeonhole every request as just another annoying customer. Sometimes you need to listen and try to do the right thing when it's always easier to just follow the rules.