Divergence - what can we expect? 05/10/2022 11:07 AM CDT
I've seen folks making mention that Naijin has been making mention that Divergence is being tested in live instance of the game so he can determine if/any nerfs that might be needed or he's entertaining the idea of pushing Divergence out game wide.

I don't want more things slowed down and made boring.

What can we expect with Divergence being put into the game? Should we all worry about sweeping nerfs?
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 10:11 AM CDT
I see more info has come out about a possible update to more Divergence stuff that has a google doc linked on the PC: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kN-1Of1A8HvgERjNQdBrXpQGk-SH72q4gqja9dkp33I/edit#

I've got zero interest to visit these areas with all the spell nerfs. What a horrible game design.

I do have some thoughts about them and I'm wondering.....why?

What really gets me is the suggested weapon changes under Divergence in these hunting areas.....seriously? What is wrong with you guys? Just do a weapon overhaul instead of trying to band-aid things.

Whips have been updated to match crowbills for DF and AvD.
Base RT increased to 3s.
Damage type changed from 100% crush (KKKKKK) to 50% slash/ 50% crush (SSSKKK).
Pilum damage factor against the plate armor group increased to 0.100.
Short bow base roundtime reduced to 3s from 5s.

Many weapons need tweaks/adjustments to bring them up to a point where people will use them for things other than RP. A lot need some love and brought up and some need slight down tweaks.

What's with the tanking of spells viability in these areas? Perhaps if you guys weren't looking to make a quick buck off the pay events you'd have stopped making outside spells so easily obtainable. One of the main changes from GSIII to GSIV was to reduce accessibility to so many outside spells so capped areas could be better controlled....all the SK spells you've been tossing out the doors and adjustment to spells to over the past decade, massive adjustments to what can be added to weapons/armors has put you right back to where things were in GSIII days and your only way to fix it is to nerf how spells function in these new areas? What kind of logic is that?

Stop doing unwarranted stuff to put yourselves in this position.

Fix things, stop nerfing things.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 11:47 AM CDT
Are the BardSong hindrances ("lower values") active in the Divergence areas (Atoll, Hinterwilds) already?
(i.e. Bards in those areas can wear heavier armor with less chance of hindrance, BUT when they do get hindered they suffer castRT & loss of mana from the block, same as everyone else normally does.)

For Tonis, does "The base haste effect has been reverted to match non-divergent areas." mean that Lore effects are still added for the additional bonuses?

And also, given the advent of Enhancives and Ascension, I would still like to have Estild revisit the next two (+2) steps of Lore progress. Currently you gain one more second of benefit (-1s RT) at 30 ranks [-2 total], and 75 ranks [+45, -3 total]. The next two should happen at 135 ranks [+60, -4 total] and 210 ranks [+75, -5 total]. We know that there is at least one SK Tonis item out there, and if a Wizard or Sorcerer should get it and happen to be at 210 ranks of EL:Air, they should get that benefit for the training points that they've sunk.
(Sadly, a Bard could only benefit to as much as the -4s/135 ranks step, due to only being able to single-train.)

Again, this would match the stated paradigm that "Lore ranks always confer their benefit."
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 12:54 PM CDT
>Just do a weapon overhaul instead of trying to band-aid things.

I think a new hunting area is a pretty good place to test new things, as long as players can see the changes in advance. If the goal is to eventually overhaul, or even just fix a few of the weapon bases, then having a real hunting area to test them in will result in better feedback than putting something on the test server. It would be nice to confirm this, but I see these changes as a stepping stone.

>One of the main changes from GSIII to GSIV was to reduce accessibility to so many outside spells so capped areas could be better controlled....all the SK spells you've been tossing out the doors and adjustment to spells to over the past decade, massive adjustments to what can be added to weapons/armors has put you right back to where things were in GSIII days and your only way to fix it is to nerf how spells function in these new areas?

Just so, it seems. Too much focus on selling expensive band-aids and not enough on curing the ailment. But I applaud the effort to fix it. Given the track record of changes over the last few years, I'd be very surprised to see a real nerf without compensation of some kind.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 12:56 PM CDT
211/215 now have cooldowns...

Dev is going to give empaths/clerics access to some other AS increaser to compensate, right? This is a significant hit to bolt AS (and weapon hunting).
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 04:46 PM CDT
>Just so, it seems. Too much focus on selling expensive band-aids and not enough on curing the ailment. But I applaud the effort to fix it. Given the track record of changes over the last few years, I'd be very surprised to see a real nerf without compensation of some kind.

I don't see it as an effort to fix it, though. It's just another band-aid they're putting on top of a broken limb. All the band-aids aren't going to fix it. I'm sure they can be more creative about creating new hunting areas that doesn't require an all out nerf on 66% of the hunting time for pures.

515/212/215/219/240/919 - all these spells will be functional with a 33% potential uptime. The other 66% of your hunting time they will be in cooldown.
950 - 5 minute cooldown. This is massive. I don't make use of 950 that often, but some people do and rely on it heavily.

This has a heavy impact on multiple classes that rely on these spells for normal hunting. I can understand that not all hunting areas cater to all classes, some struggle in certain areas while others excel. But when you introduce two new post-capped hunting areas and make it much harder for certain classes by nerfing how spells function, why not just put up class restrictions to the areas and design creatures for the few professions that aren't getting hindered?

I guess there's nothing more impressive than those folks that have spent hours building up their characters into the 20/30/40+ million experience range to work on capping out all their profession skills and to have them walk into an area and all of a sudden having their skills reduced just because it's easier for them to nerf how a spell functions instead of fixing the underlying problem they've created with massive SK items out there and every Tom, Dick and Jane has built up on their weapons/armors/shields to make them super powerful in terms of AS/DS/TD and weighting/padding.

It's not fun to earn all these things (spells, skills and/or items), whether it's through pay events or experience from time spent playing, only to have it taken from you because they don't find a better way to handle the situation.

There are interesting creatures out there that have restrictions based on their lore - like Vesperti, for example. They're immune to any CS type magic, but not to bolts (except for some reason they're immune to 510....why?). You can read in the vesperti area the journal of Augustin Vespertinae, he created the Vesperti and why they're immune to most magic.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/13/2022 10:43 PM CDT
>I don't see it as an effort to fix it, though. It's just another band-aid they're putting on top of a broken limb. All the band-aids aren't going to fix it. I'm sure they can be more creative about creating new hunting areas that doesn't require an all out nerf on 66% of the hunting time for pures.

Maybe. The way I see it, we can choose whether or not hunt in places with Divergence. If we don't like it, or it impacts us too much to enjoy it, then we can choose not to accept it by not going there. It seems like a decent way to avoid a game-wide nerf - just create new parts of the game that use it, maybe offer some additional rewards, and let players decide if it's worth it. More like a carrot than a stick.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/14/2022 08:27 AM CDT
>Dev is going to give empaths/clerics access to some other AS increaser to compensate, right? This is a significant hit to bolt AS (and weapon hunting).

You have this the wrong way round. Empaths and clerics are the ones that gain. Its the group effect that is getting toned down, not the self cast version.

The spells get to be unique to them again rather than something that everyone has all the time. Cutting back the amount that other professions can use these spells is actually a boost to the native casters.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/14/2022 11:17 AM CDT
That wasn't what I read... I saw both of them go from "permanently on" for those two professions, to "choose A until it runs out then B until it runs out, then get neither for the last 1/3 of the time."
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/14/2022 02:10 PM CDT
Its only talking about the group versions.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/15/2022 01:06 AM CDT
"The spells get to be unique to them again rather than something that everyone has all the time." -- Rathboner

Is there really an issue with empaths and clerics roaming around keeping the group version going constantly? Is the issue with genuine empaths and clerics training a specific way, or spellbots?
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 05/17/2022 02:48 PM CDT
"That wasn't what I read... I saw both of them go from "permanently on" for those two professions, to "choose A until it runs out then B until it runs out, then get neither for the last 1/3 of the time."" -- Me
"Its only talking about the group versions." -- RathboneR, replying to Me

Then I take exception to the way in which the bullet-pointed sections are laid out.

To me, I see "211/Bravery" as a section, and "215/Heroism" as a section. The top bullet-point in each section is, "group version moved to Evoke." Additional bullet-points exist with other information.

By that writing/with that layout, they are now DONE with "the group version" information.

If they want to say/imply that "all of these changes are for the group version", then they should EITHER:
- title the section appropriately (211/Bravery group effect),
OR
- sub-bullet-point (== add one layer of tab indent) for the additional properties.

OR just write an explanatory sentence (either for "these spells as a whole, that have a group effect", or "These changes are all for the group effect of this spell." and copy/paste that for each one to which it is applicable).

But AS WRITTEN, "no", that document does not convey the fact that all of the posted changes are for the group version.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/12/2022 06:03 PM CDT
Someone was kind enough to post this entry off of Discord, from Estild, about Divergence on the PC:

From Estild in dev announcements:
Divergence: After months of iterations and play testing, we now feel confident in the progress of the current Divergence setup. However, we still want to address the Bard Review to complete their toolkit now that a few outliers of their spellsongs have been adjusted. We plan to have the revised design document available soon with those details. In addition, there is likely to be a one or more updates for Wizards. Once that is complete, the updates in Divergence will become game-wide and no longer exist as a mechanic isolated to a few areas. At that time, any Spell Knowledge items for the spells currently affected by Divergence will move to the Lost Arts spell circle (or another similar setup to maintain the existing functionality). To avoid having to do this again, there are no plans to offer Spell Knowledge items at future pay events.
Spell Sever: We're currently evaluating a design update for Spell Sever to allow additional spells cast from magical trinkets and scrolls based upon Magical Item Use and Arcane Symbol training. The exact formula is still a work in progress. We're aiming for about +2 spells (that must be cast from a magical trinket or scroll), but trying not to make it too easy for Pures or too difficult for Squares to acquire.
Policy: Lastly, POLICY 15 continues to be our driving force as we delicately try to balance the different aspects of our game and its offerings.

For those that have designed this system, here's the part I'd like clarification on:

"Once that is complete, the updates in Divergence will become game-wide and no longer exist as a mechanic isolated to a few areas."

Does this mean that what Divergence does in those few areas right now, all of those aspects of Divergence will impact the entire game world? All hunting grounds? All events, such as DR Arena? No place will escape the changes?
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/12/2022 06:49 PM CDT
"Once that is complete, the updates in Divergence will become game-wide and no longer exist as a mechanic isolated to a few areas."

What annoys me a bit about this is that if I recall originally Divergence was to be focused on the post cap Gemstone (the other Gemstone as I like to call it) and not the whole game. Unless I misunderstood when it was being discussed before I ended up blocking the Discord Mechanics channel. Now it's about to impact the whole game, or as I like to say, "both" Gemstones. I'm not sure how I feel about that honestly, it reminds me of mmorpg balance. Talking about how pvp game mechanics tweaks would negatively impact pve aspects of the game repeatedly in most of the mmorpgs that I've played.

Basically 0-100 Gemstone IV is getting impacted by 100plus Gemstone IV in my opinion. Now to learn whether these changes and tweaks will negatively impact those of us who have no real desire to play the Gemstone Uber levels game. Historically speaking, my silver is on that negative impact. Oh yeah and can we please, please, freaking please get a Discord channel for 0-100 level Mechanics? Because Mechanics is currently useless by and large for those of us who aren't playing GS Uber. ;p Trying to navigate the waterfall flow of posts in Mechanics and get your questions seen and answered is frustrating and tedious. Plus having to read through all that drek that I have interest in wading through. Talk about a time sink.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/13/2022 12:22 PM CDT
That sounds like how I read it, too: Divergence in Hinterwilds was basically the "test platform", and "becoming game-wide" means that it is an update to spell mechanics. (i.e. "new version")

On the other hand, Jim, you have to agree that it is WAY too easy to get WAY more defense than your character ought to normally expect to have. Outside spells are too easy to get for too long a duration from too many people. Outside benefits out to be more rare, and require the presence of the person giving the benefit (like "group spells").
If each character only has their OWN spells, with possibly some additional benefits from someone who happens to be with you, everything looks a lot easier for the GMs on what their creatures are likely to face.

But a party of a Bard (Kai's & Luck) with a Warrior (War Cries) and Cleric (Sphere) and Monk (Focus) has some pretty heft benefits compared to the solo person whose spells all (but two) fall off....
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/13/2022 08:10 PM CDT
>If each character only has their OWN spells, with possibly some additional benefits from someone who happens to be with you, everything looks a lot easier for the GMs on what their creatures are likely to face.

That's how things were from the change over from GSIII to GSIV. Reduction of player level to 100 and adjusting spells so they all aren't as heavily relied upon or being able to be cast on other players. This was the game change design to make it so they could better balance the game and end level areas to players.

Sadly, with how the GMs have taken the game and monetized so much from the pay events and kept adding stupid stuff such as SK items or X times a day items....then allowing the whole stupid Invoker to blast everyone with spells outside of their own spell circles it's made it easy for them to say "we have to balance the game". They screwed things up and now they want to tank things with Divergence and Spell Sever.

Now, after seeing how crappy some professions are with Divergence and Spell Sever in place, they're pushing extras in DR (such as going to 15x for AS/DS) in what appears to be a way to offset issues of the backlash of spell adjustments and spell loss.

The GMs have pushed the game so far out of balance that they now need to nerf aspects of the game to try and rebalance things.

Gee...thanks GMs! /sarcasm
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/13/2022 08:38 PM CDT
"That's how things were from the change over from GSIII to GSIV." -- BBRodriguez

Not really. Essentially all of the spells that can be other-cast now, were able to be other-cast after change.

The big change was to get the level compression (due to a looming "divide by zero" error if someone ever hit 300th level) and specifically, a hard cap. (Because Empaths, Clerics, and <anyone who chose to pick locks> could continue to level far beyond the highest area, and a 250th level character going through a newly-opened "highest/toughest area in the game!" for the more normal 180th level characters would just smoke everything in there.)
Modern post-cap people don't really present the same difficulties for design, because--due to that pesky issue of only HAVING two hands--even if you know all about all weapons, you cannot actually use them at the same time.

And, of course, it gave them a great opportunity to work in reallocation, and un-learning ranks to re-train on the fly.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/13/2022 11:16 PM CDT
>Not really. Essentially all of the spells that can be other-cast now, were able to be other-cast after change.

No. But that's okay if you can't remember. We even had a few spells that had durations adjusted to make them "emergency" use so the GMs wouldn't have to bother worrying about them being used all the time so they could better balance and create new hunting grounds.

They need to stop trying to make this into a PvP MMORPG to make everything balanced like players are trying to PvP and to stop trying to slow things down. It's okay if a rogue or warrior can hunt certain areas better than other classes and it's okay if those same rogues and warriors can't hunt very well in another hunting ground, but other classes can.

I have multiple characters of varying classes and I can't hunt all of them in all of the exact same hunting grounds and I can't hunt them all with the same tactics. That's what I find enjoyable about the game. I've got some mutant characters that I'm guessing are going to get trashed when more adjusts are made to spells and that's just sad. I find them just as enjoyable, even more so, of the creativity it's taken to get them to where they are today.

If they really do push a system wide divergence change then that's when I walk away. Maybe I'm just getting tired of all the changes after all these years....
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/14/2022 04:45 AM CDT
I agree that things like Wizard Shield/919 are now of MUCH shorter duration.
But it was other-castable then, and it is other-cast now.

"It's okay if a rogue or warrior can hunt certain areas better than other classes and it's okay if those same rogues and warriors can't hunt very well in another hunting ground, but other classes can." -- BBRodriguez

This, though, I totally agree with. (And the GMs have been saying this all along.) Not every character should be able to hunt every area, or if they do, not as well as everyone else. That's kind of what classes are all about.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/14/2022 09:41 AM CDT
>I agree that things like Wizard Shield/919 are now of MUCH shorter duration.
But it was other-castable then, and it is other-cast now.

I recall a few wizard spells that were removed from other casting: 905, 507, 508 and 513
* on a side note, 513 was still able to be cast on others for a while, but it was set as a CS check and shouldn't have been possible, according to NIR. For a while after the change over 513 was able to be cast on others as long as they couldn't ward the spell, but that was rectified.

I can't say for sure about other classes, I wasn't much into playing them back then. Folks I played with, I used to provide spells for and I could cast pretty much anything in the wizard's circles on them and after the change over they had to get used some spells no longer being cast on others.
Re: Divergence - what can we expect? 08/14/2022 09:43 AM CDT
>"It's okay if a rogue or warrior can hunt certain areas better than other classes and it's okay if those same rogues and warriors can't hunt very well in another hunting ground, but other classes can." -- BBRodriguez
>
>This, though, I totally agree with. (And the GMs have been saying this all along.) Not every character should be able to hunt every area, or if they do, not as well as everyone else. That's kind of what classes are all about.

I think more could be done to help players understand this is intended: not all hunting areas are meant to cater to all professions. Regardless of training, some will be easier for rangers than wizards, and some will be easier for clerics than warriors.