Regarding PSM3 and the future 12/01/2021 10:18 AM CST
So, I've found myself repeatedly deeply impressed with the sheer amount of changes, improvements, expansions on the various mechanics systems of Gemstone. In the last few years in particular you all have just flat out amazed me with the amount of work you've done. Most of it really quickly I might add.

That in mind, I'd like to toss out something that's been bothering me since, well the ice age. And that's weapons. I'd love to see a review of weapons and their mechanics. I think it's been far to long that only a couple weapons in each category are truly worth using. Some weapons are just flat out wrong in regards to how useable they are and some are over inflated in their usefulness.

I'd love to see the war hammer for example improved, over all it should be a much better weapon than it is. I'd love to see rapiers useful. Yeah I might be the old claidhmore guy but even I recognize that a shield and spear is superior to a claidhmore wielder.

Is it possible or even something that Dev would be willing to look into? Making all weapons more useful and usable and bringing down to be more inline some weapons that are just not balanced for what they are. Anyhow it's a long held desire of mine to see this corrected. Hopefully this is the right place to mention it and maybe draw some attention to it.

Jim/Celtar
Re: Regarding PSM3 and the future 12/02/2021 11:07 PM CST
>That in mind, I'd like to toss out something that's been bothering me since, well the ice age. And that's weapons. I'd love to see a review of weapons and their mechanics. I think it's been far to long that only a couple weapons in each category are truly worth using. Some weapons are just flat out wrong in regards to how useable they are and some are over inflated in their usefulness.
>
>I'd love to see the war hammer for example improved, over all it should be a much better weapon than it is. I'd love to see rapiers useful. Yeah I might be the old claidhmore guy but even I recognize that a shield and spear is superior to a claidhmore wielder.
>
>Is it possible or even something that Dev would be willing to look into? Making all weapons more useful and usable and bringing down to be more inline some weapons that are just not balanced for what they are. Anyhow it's a long held desire of mine to see this corrected. Hopefully this is the right place to mention it and maybe draw some attention to it.

Bumping this because it's a great idea. Every weapon base should have a compelling reason to use it.

PSM3 has added new weapon skills, things that can be built on and modified by weapon base. Maybe certain kinds of blunt weapons are better with some weapon techniques than others, for example. Maybe some behave differently. Maybe they have a niche use.

There are dozens of maneuvers and skills that weapons could be made to modify. Let's build on PSM and take it to the next level. Some weapons clobber better than others, and some cripple better, and some riposte better. Maybe there are synergies with spells. Give us a compelling reason to use those cudgels and estocs. We're not quite there yet.

There have been some one-off ideas in the profession reviews that were interesting -- monks having certain skills with staves and short bows, for example. The MSTRIKE bonuses for rogues and rangers are excellent, though somewhat constrained.