Understanding Culture Theory 03/28/2018 09:21 AM CDT
Next question! Are you ready?

The world of Elanthia has expanded and diversified over the years we've been here. Many of us started when your race was your culture, and the definitions/history of those races could fill a couple of paragraphs as far as the official lore was concerned. Now, each choice of half-elf, gnome or dark elf comes with even richer selections to make.

Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why? Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you? Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay? Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

I can't wait to read your answers. Thank you for contributing, all of you!

-GK!

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 03/28/2018 01:15 PM CDT
One of the reasons I like playing half-elves is their access to such a wide array of cultural choices, and how the mingling of cultural influences can shape their characters. I'll note two of them here.

>Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why? Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you? Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay? Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

For Nicolao:
Mestanir has long been known for its rogue spellcasters, and that made it the obvious choice for my eternally-simmering concept of a fugitive wizard on the run from various and sundry. That I rolled him up as an 'ease back into playing after a break' character shortly after Mestanir got roflstomped in the CiS storyline gave me a good prison break premise. The home region and all the baggage pertaining thereto are huge factors of his personal issues, struggles, and fears. His general shabby-chic quasi-Victorian costuming is more my own appreciation for waistcoats and frock coats than anything found in documentation, and I don't think any of his other accoutrements have specific cultural ties to his home region.

For Gavrien:
I chose a Faendryl heritage for my half-elf bard in part because of a friend. She was mostly playing Faendryl characters at the time and was nudging me to also roll one. One of her characters aligned well with the aesthetic choices I was making for a concept I'd been mulling for a while, and she pointed out that he could be a half-brother or a relative. The cultural decision gave me a vector to fill in specific motivations for much of anger and bitterness the character carries around, and a connection point for interactions with a number of existing Faendryl characters. The baked in family connection gave a springboard for building his personality through social interaction, and the vast personality differences (as well as how he interacts with her vs other people) also made for some interesting space in which to develop nuance and layers of personality detail.

The actual Faendryl documentation was a tool for backfill and context framing rather than a primary motivator for choosing the culture. The Agrestis division of the Pentact being made up in part by ranchers helped tie some of his sartorial choices back to upbringing. Where possible, I like to inject a little Faendryl material/aesthetic flavor into his costuming and prop choices, but the spaghetti-western-meets-biker-thug aesthetic takes precedence.

The other half of his genetic heritage, which is Shakat, has some influence on his behavior, interests and personal tastes, but most of this is reflective of his picking at the fringes of the culture as an adult. I'd like to incorporate a bit more of that at some point, aesthetically speaking, but am letting it happen organically.

Good thread. :D

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 03/28/2018 05:03 PM CDT
I've actually only set the culture on three of my characters.

With my sorcerer, I really didn't know much about Dhe'nari and absolutely nothing about Faendryl, but there was a merchant that was adding scripts to weapons for Dhe'nari at one Spitfire so that's what he became to get the service (my giantkin warrior actually ended up bonding with that weapon). In some ways this has worked out well cause he focuses on necromancy and seems to enjoy the suffering of those he hunts, whether they're sentient or not. In other ways, it's a good thing that I already had a back-story that he was raised in an orphanage in place when I set his culture.... since he wasn't raised among his own kind and can't know for certain which of the two dark elven races he actually came from.

My ranger was an easy one.... she was made a half-syplh from the beginning because she was rolled up as the result of RP between my sylph and another player's human where they got married and had a kid. Making her any other race/culture just wouldn't have worked.

Starchitin got his culture (Angstholm) and race (forest gnome) because I rolled him up on the day gnomes were released, didn't have a clear understanding of the two races and their cultures, and had an entirely different view of what his personality would end up being then what it actually ended up being. If I were rolling him up today, it would likely be as a Burghal gnome of the Neimhean bloodline since that really does fit his personality and profession better... not to mention his height (diminutive) is the only thing about him that would differ from that bloodline's description. Then again, if he were actually Neimhean, it would make sense that he would attempt to present himself a forest gnome and be of one of those bloodlines (and a tall burghal might be seen as diminuitive for a forest gnome).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 03/28/2018 06:35 PM CDT
>Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why? Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you? Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay? Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

I intentionally rolled Alisaire up to be Dhe'nar back in the early 00s because I heard that there was a solid group of RPers who used (and created) the culture. From the start, she was intended to be a study of how such an elf could fail at their own culture, yet in spite of that, she let me explore various nuances stemming from it in fascinating ways - especially as she struggled to resolve her heritage with in-game events at the time that really served to define her. She does not dress traditionally except when she feels that it is advantageous to do so, pulling out her old headband if the situation warrants it. Her caste tattoo was one of the first custom tattoo I'd ever gotten, and it remains integral to who she is, even if it's almost never visible. Lastly, her home is how I imagine a traditional Dhe'nari dwelling to be partially influenced by Faendryl aesthetics, with both cultures having a strong wastelands feel as well as a lack of emphasis on the concept of divine entities.

My human mage was not quite as straightforward! I've always adored Tehir culture, both before and after the impressive documentation that was developed some years ago, and have played characters hailing from or affiliated with it off and on for many years. While she is not Tehir (or Shakat, who get way too little love), her history has strong ties to the culture and specifically the al-Dur tribe, which is the one I helped create ages ago with a different character. Meanwhile, her hometown is Oblone, in Allace, which I picked thanks to some of the half-elven documentation. It is one of only two settlements created by and for half-elves, and while Feagh ultimately failed, Oblone flourished.. though over generations, its success drew more humans to it, gradually breeding out much of the elven influence among the locals. I really loved the idea of a character who would have a partially elven heritage but who received no benefits from it - no physical characteristics, no language capabilities, and nothing readily identifying her as (or with) either hathlyn or elves. For me, it creates a fascinating dynamic in an Empire that is constantly conflicted with the idea of racial purity, and for a character who is intended to be registered with and a member (of no significant standing) of the Imperial Hall of Mages.

I enjoy playing with some concepts of both Tehir and Shakat aesthetic for her clothing and decor, drawing heavily off of some real Earth cultures that the al-Dur tribe was based on plus imagery that I personally find appealing. She also has picked up some fun skills and practices from her time with the al-Dur. Her perspective toward the Arkati is an odd blend of tribal views melded with traditional Elanthian myths and histories, and her opinion of magic theory and practice is similarly augmented. While not a seer by any means, she does find it fascinating to use the Tehir, Shakat, and al-Dur methods of divination to seek out new perspectives. She also likes hot food, strong spices, and flavorful additions of warm climate fruits.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 03/30/2018 03:38 AM CDT
As for Kaldonis, he was always intended to be crazy and odd. In that sense as Paradis are a bit homeless and outcast it seemed rather obvious.

(He eventually converted to Imaera in some twisted relation with necromancy, but was originally considered to worship Zelia, though I consider that a bit cookie-cutter.)

Finally he was in practice more interested in demonology (mechanics of Phase), but it wasn't really going anywhere in terms of his character-building (and indeed, had gone a bit the wrong direction as compared with the choice of deity.) At this point, I think his excuse for interest in demonology is that he felt a kinship with the creatures summoned to this realm as slaves and being treated poorly.

Later, along with his early but still zany tattoos, I had realized the Paradis in connection with early demonology, and I started to wonder about the apparent contradiction more. Seeing that Icemule was founded by the Paradis but allowed minor demons in town legally after a time, then especially for an insane character I could probably seek out some very unusual connection between him and Undead War etc, demons, etc, that was not so superficial.

Thus his proper backstory finally emerged. He's from the future, and his tattoos were used as a means of communication to send him backwards in time via Lorae'Tyr to introduce demonology and valences to those near the Undead War. And he stole and hid the book of Tormtor, too.

The inspiration came from several directions in lore, etc, but I think the cultural selection was still instrumental in finally arriving at this entirely crazy backstory.

And no, it is not expected anyone believes the credibility of the final story. Only that my character believes it.
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/01/2018 09:58 PM CDT
I have found Dhe'nar culture fascinating ever since I first learned of it. Harsh, Authoritarian, Hierarchical. These are just a few of the words that can be used to describe it(and certainly not the most particularly accurate ones). It is definitely not a culture that one would hope to see in the real world, and not anything like me myself(I hope!) which provides, in the context of this mutually-created fantasy fiction, an interesting concept to explore. It is (both as created and as evolved in the last 20 years), in my humble opinion, far more complex than it is often given credit for. At least it has the potential to be. I have been lucky enough over the years to meet a number of players who have brought various aspects of it to life with great skill.

She does wear the traditional clothing of the Dhe'nar. Headband, waist-sash, intricately braided hair, enruned clothing, etc.

I hesitate to talk at too much length about the Whats, Whys, and Hows, both because it is my hope that I bring them across through Avaia when I play her(at least on good days I do) and also that it is still an evolving story. Maybe at the end I will write down some essay about who she was and why she did what she did but for now, the story isn't over.

Avaia, player of
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/03/2018 06:48 AM CDT
<<The world of Elanthia has expanded and diversified over the years we've been here. Many of us started when your race was your culture, and the definitions/history of those races could fill a couple of paragraphs as far as the official lore was concerned. Now, each choice of half-elf, gnome or dark elf comes with even richer selections to make.>>

Xorus is supposed to be the same character (pseudonym) as an older one which was also Dark Elven. That one was made in that time period where there was almost no (modern) historical documentation, and what did exist centered on the Faendryl, so you had your basic bias plus the concept of Dark Elves was the coolest one in town. The Dhe'nar were far more interesting than anything that officially existed at the time, but I wanted to do my own thing and was not interested in having a q'hala period.

<<Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why?>>

There was a push in that time period to make the Faendryl atheistic, and treating "demon" as just-another-word for "extraplanar." The former became codified and the latter slid back the other way with things like the Ithzir and the elementals documentation. In any case, this capture-and-release librarian ideology and sorcery as neutral rather than malevolent and "researchers" summoning demons in their basements all rubbed me the wrong way, so Xorus was formed as a push-back on these trends.

I felt there should be a grain of truth in concept of there being "demon worshippers" focused on overtly "dark magic", so the idea was there should be an underground (literally) Ur-Daemon cult that was more Drow than Slytherin, that idolizes Despana and awaits her return in the same way the Grot'karesh hammer clan fears it.

I was away from actually being within the game for a long time, but the idea refined so that its Faendryl interface would be Lovecraft occultist. This is a fundamentally atheist world view, consonant with the Faendryl culture, but it is also cultist and replaces "sublime awe of the divine" with "cosmic horror of the forbidden knowledge." This is fitting as I later came to understand how much Lovecraft there was hidden in the game, including the Faendryl documentation, and as it turns out with Marlu himself.

<<Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you?>>

They are physically and mentally transformed by corruption of the dark power of the wasteland. They insist on their superior Elven cultural heritage, as much as they have twisted and mocked it, and torn it all up replacing their society with a top-down centrally designed one focused on novelty and the things for which they are condemned. What I see is a lawful society with a lot of resentment and denial, so I am focused on the counter-current, the antiquarian and old world aspect that is reactionary and alienated. The later documentation regarding a rumored Senary to the society gave me a hook for the cult having a secret society interface with the Faendryl.

In practice the human history documents are more concretely relevant, because these other ones are just thematic framework. The human ones are the only ones that give any real depth of chronological detail within the relevant time period. This character was alive for the full span of the Turamzzyrian History timeline document, so he remembers all of the major historical events and changes. He is played as feeling very old for this reason, viewing things people care about as unimportant.

<< Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay?>>

The Dark Elven languages lore document that explained why "Dark Elven" is a language and others cannot (ordinarily) speak it ended up fitting perfectly, with the interpretation of the "Book of Tormtor" being written in the "language of the Ur-Daemon" taken literally by this cult. So, this character is a seemingly Faendryl expert in esoteric and forbidden lore, including dead and dark languages. I wanted him to be a lot more sinister and mysterious than the Marluvian cultists that have existed.

<<Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?>>

When Xorus is wandering about dealing with other dark powers and sinister orders, his current background story being he is working with death cultists and Sheruvian Order in the Broken Lands, he looks something like a Nazgul surrounded by strange necrotic haze and vruul leather. He has a few things that signify this cultist background, which include depictions of archaic forms of Sheru and Eorgina. When he is playing at being Faendryl, he has civil society clothes, which are grey and scarlet at the moment.

- Xorus' player

Wehnimer's Landing Town Halls, Now With Authentic Frontier Gibberish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/03/2018 10:46 AM CDT
These are such fun questions to answer. Other players' complex and creative answers make me feel as though Lylia's is an unexamined life, although one I still feel is worth living. But I'll give it a shot!

Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why?

I came into the game years ago with no knowledge of Faendryl culture, let alone Dhe'nar, and I chose Dark Elf as my character's race because I generally like them in other games. Lylia was originally Faendryl by default; she became actively, proudly Faendryl by osmosis. Silvean is obviously the biggest influence there, but I've gotten to be around people like Prestius, Stache, Xorus, and Armaxis who have also informed my understanding of the culture and its history.

Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you?

Because it was sort of a slow accumulation of cultural knowledge, I can't say there was one particular aspect of Faendryl culture that appealed. It's largely been an organic process, so it'd be like deciding to like beignets; beignets are just there, and I've grown up with them, so of course I like them.

Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay?

I've really embraced the arrogance, the fall from grace, and the presumption of fitness to rule of the Faendryl. Everyone has their favorite aspect of the race and culture to play; that's mine. I also like adding some definition to the aspects of Faendryl culture that aren't explicitly outlined in existing documentation. The wedding document, the Igaeshian reading system, and IC posts are all part of that.

Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

At this point, Lylia is pretty much a Faendryl cultural artifact, or at least I like to think so. :D

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/03/2018 07:00 PM CDT
<<I've really embraced the arrogance, the fall from grace, and the presumption of fitness to rule of the Faendryl. Everyone has their favorite aspect of the race and culture to play; that's mine.>> - Lylia

This was another thing. They arrogantly hold to these pretenses while denying their fallen nature which is plainly obvious to everyone else on the continent. They will say how only they are fit to rule all, while the Dhe'nar in contrast would say the Faendryl are by far the most responsible for shattering everything. This way they represent all of this darkness as high culture can be so (self-)convincing you can find yourself forgetting what you're really agreeing to with them. "Dude. You summon demons!"

I've joked that Faendryl could have been a subtle play on Benadryl (phenadryl) because it makes you DROWsy, the premise being that original history document has a bunch of Drow references and word plays. Some of them are smack-you-in-the-face obvious, like valor and Vaalor. If I had to actually guess, the base of it was "feigned royal."

- Xorus' player

(In which case, how would it be pronounced? Like "fey-en-drill", or "feigned-rill"? Or...?)

Wehnimer's Landing Town Halls, Now With Authentic Frontier Gibberish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/03/2018 07:37 PM CDT
<<They will say how only they are fit to rule all, while the Dhe'nar in contrast would say the Faendryl are by far the most responsible for shattering everything.

And Lylia's argument, if and when people point this out, is that this is precisely why the Faendryl are innately suited to rule: "No one else would do what must be done. They lack the will or the spine." See? Insufferably arrogant. I just love them. :)

<<"Dude. You summon demons!"

But we summon demons so elegantly.

(I've always mentally pronounced it as two syllables: "fayn-dril." But I could see an argument for "fay-en-dril.")

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/03/2018 08:14 PM CDT
>but I wanted to do my own thing and was not interested in having a q'hala period.

Come now Xorus, aren't you familiar with the old saying?

Through Obedience, Truth.

Avaia, player of
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/04/2018 06:15 PM CDT
<Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why?

My choice for my rogue was, I am ashamed to admit, purely practical. I knew that dark elves were the best rogues--and having had a LOT of trouble with liabilities (both mechanical and stats-related) with my human bard the first time that I played, I wanted to avoid similar problems as much as possible this time around. So I chose dark elf.

<Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you?

Actually, the sheer amount of dark elven history intimidated me. I have known many great roleplayers of Faendryl and Dhe'nar in my time, and I didn't feel that I knew enough to play a knowledgeable Faendryl. (Playing a Dhe'nar was out of the question. It's an incredibly detailed culture--and, from what I recalled, one generally adopted by very strict RPers around the thirtieth or fortieth training--and I could not see my Level 2 character running around the Landing and asking for spells while claiming to be a Dhe'nar.) And I was terrified of offending someone old and high-powered with my mistakes. I can recall characters who would smite or even kill characters for such things, and I was not aware that "souls being lost to the demonic" was no longer a possibility in-game.

So I decided to make use of my unfamiliarity by making my rogue the child of dark elven refugees who rarely spoke of their culture or history to their children, much less of their own past. That way, I could learn over the course of gameplay and the rogue a) could learn more about his parents and his heritage (which I assumed would be an ongoing process) and b) could adopt whatever culture he chose (which turned out to be Faendryl).

<Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay?

He grew up in a mountain village in Dragach, and neither elves nor dark elves were particularly loved. Pride in his race and its history is a very new concept for him. He's learning, but it's not an idea he grew up with. (And shame on his parents for not teaching him that pride, too.)

He's also trying to learn more about his parents--who or what were they running from? Why did they decide to stay in a village in the human empire? What made that the best alternative? And what class were they? (It's been mentioned that his parents might be of the Agrestis, since they started raising and herding sheep when they needed to make money...which would require skills and experience not available to most people.) Were any of the scraps he heard from them true? Are they even using their real names?

<Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

No, because I don't actually know of any traditional Faendryl attire (barring scarlet and grey colors in clothing) or of any cultural artifacts. That said, I would buy him a traditional dark elven musical instrument if one was available. And as he gets into the history of his people more, I expect that will be reflected in his art; he likes painting and drawing.

<(In which case, how would it be pronounced? Like "fey-en-drill", or "feigned-rill"? Or...?)

I've heard it pronounced FAY-en-drill by GMs at SimuCon, Xorus.
Re: Understanding Culture Theory 04/05/2018 04:34 AM CDT
<Why did you pick the culture, tribe or clan that you did for your character, and why?

Radeek is human. When I rolled him I didn't want a human that was subservient to the empire, so I chose Tehir. I didn't know squat about the Tehir back then, and there wasn't much documentation about them, so I played him as a ranger of Phoen.

<Was there a specific story or aspect to their history that resonated with you?

Later in his evolution, and after leaving the lands a number of times, I decided to begin a backstory for him, focusing on the Tehir aspects of his life. I have always been a student of tribal societies, especially the Native American tribes, and having lived in Japan I had studied the Samurai culture. I decided on a little bit of fusion. Unfortunately, there weren't many Tehir left in the lands so I pretty much wrote his original backstory on my own and then shelved it. It didn't see the light of day until his most recent return.

<Is there an element of this choice that you focus on in your roleplay?

Radeek despised the Empire. His blind hatred consumed him, nearly as much as the Shadows did after the war with Talador. In his mind the Empire had robbed him of everything and he thought he would be willing to sacrifice anything to bring about its downfall.

This all changed when the Silver Gryphons stood their ground and refused to follow the orders of the Empire and chose to defend Wehnimers Landing, Radeeks adopted home. Radeek found a respected friend in Sir Cryheart, and a new way of looking at things after a number of revelations from his own past. While he will never serve the Empires wishes, he no longer has a heart full of nothing but hate.

This newfound revelation forced him to return to the Sea of Fire, where he searched for, and found, the one who taught his mother. Only time will tell what his next evolution will be.

<Do you engage in costuming and other cultural artifacts as part of your portrayal?

Oh heck yeah. Much to the dismay of my wife (who plays Radeeks longtime love, Phever) Radeek has far too much clothing and cultural artifacts in his lockers. I can't even begin to count the number of different outfits he has, all Tehir related. Each time an alteration comes available my words to her are usually something along the lines of "can you design an alter for Radeek please? I need his blah blah blah altered into something Tehir." She's REALLY good with alters.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/