Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 11:13 AM CST
Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative answers, I enjoyed reading each post. So much so, in fact, I'm going to make a real effort to keep up with these again. If you all want to post questions, too, I think that would be great!

For now, can you tell us what your profession is, and why you chose it? You can give whichever kind of answer or answers you wish, maybe you like the mechanics of playing a bard, or you had a specific culture/role you were looking to fill, or even just loved the wording of how some of the spells and guild skills come across (wizard and sorcerer spells, am I right?).

Also, feel free to include your subset, if you have one, like warpath or mutant and so on. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say!

-GK!

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 11:20 AM CST
By all accounts, my real-life Evil Eye is dire. Sorcery comes naturally, apparently. :)

I almost always play caster classes and enjoy glass cannon types. Lylia is a classically trained sorceress, not a hybrid in any way, although I do train her up a bit more in some ancillary skills such as first aid to remain more independent. Sorcery appealed because...well, I like darker things. It was a close call between that and being a wizard, but mages didn't get Limb Disruption, Maelstrom, Dark Catalyst, and Implosion. The spell list just appealed to me. Still does.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player, vicious with the glare
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 11:53 AM CST
True story... but I originally conceptualized Raelee as a savant. Afterall, they were going to be released RSN! (This was 2003...) I think I was looking for a placeholder profession until I could convert or reroll her.

I had played a bard, a cleric and a ranger at this point (kinda...) and I was looking to try something new. I was looking for a profession that fit a cerebral, scholarly character and wizarding seemed to fit, especially given that I liked playing humans and there was already a defined academic background for a wizard with the Hall of Mages.

At this point, though, I could never convert her. I think I've embraced Raelee as a wizard 110%. I can't imagine her as anything else. (PS - I'll buy any self-knowledge or x/day Minor/Major mental spell item! She's a wizard but uh... mental magic is still very appealing.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 12:25 PM CST
I am a complete ranger fanboy. Pup turned out how i had hope in that he is the definition of a semi. A balance of magic and weapons. He is at home hunting in a group or hunting solo, leading or support, in the open or ambushing. I use both magic and the sword evenly every hunt and have no dependence on either.

I wanted a character that could face many situations and have a chance to survive. Also love the rangers connection with nature. Pup will never have the strongest AS or the best casting abilities but take any piece away and he is still effective. I feel like rangers more then any other profession have the ability to be affective no matter the situation.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 01:01 PM CST
Starchitin became a rogue rather ranger (as one would expect a forest gnome would be) because I already had a ranger and really wanted a lockpicking rogue. As it turned out, the profession suited what his personality ultimately ended up being very well.

Originally (for the first month or two) he was a shy, skittish, OHE user. He ended up taking on a life of his own and becoming a bow wielding, outspoken, annoying little twit and ultimately ended up becoming my main... none of which would have happened if I'd made him a ranger. I don't control him so much as hold him back from doing anything that would upset GMs (and I continue to be surprised at what they let him get away with and even encourage... I've gotten more RPAs with this little $%# then all my other characters combined).

Starchitin

PS I've been keeping him out of Elanthia lately cause I just know he'd run for Mayor of the Landing just so he could make it a lesser power under the authority of River's Rest...

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 01:34 PM CST
A few tidbits-

My very first character (still have her!) was made into a warrior because I imagined her being a very scrappy pit fighter. She started off eschewing weapons completely. Mechanics have since improved greatly; I wish I would have converted her into a Monk when I had the chance.

Naamit became a bard because I thought it would be a fun avenue for writing, becoming an accomplished singer, or performer. She quickly moved away from performance and into the religious aspect of music and now only sings during ritual. And of course, most importantly, to kill.

I rolled up an empath many years ago because I strove to see a healer treat patients with respect and compassion. I hated vulture empaths that stole wounds and it grated on me for years when people gave me flack (as Naamit or on the boards) for 'not understanding empaths' plight.' It just wasn't true - I chose another path, a highly viable one. It was one they refused to follow. But, I wasn't going to out my other character for sake of proving them wrong.

My ranger was created in tribute to a customer of mine, an avid nature photographer, that had died. The character has the same name and appearance as the deceased, an equally sunny disposition, and an affinity for crawling around on her knees to inspect the littlest things in nature.

Empath Number Two was rolled up last fall because I wanted to have a warpath move through the Palestra, after talks with Aurach's player at SimuCon. Not sure where she will go from here, given Aurach's departure.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 02:28 PM CST

Drawn to the darker aspects of fantasy, I played a vampire in my very first rpg. I have played many other rpg's since, always choosing the darker professions, assassin, necromancer, blood mage, etc.
So to choose a sorceress in GS is only natural. :) I have tried to play the lighter professions and tend to become bored with them rather quickly.

That said I do not necessarily equate dark with evil and light with good, so it will not be surprising if Miss Saffrey is found actually being polite and helpful now and then. :)

I love these questions and especially love all the answers. Keep them coming!
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 04:20 PM CST
One of the reasons I have so many alts is because I like to mess around with interesting-to-me training paths. Many of them have been some form of mutant -- I generally prefer to root around in the weeds rather than follow the path of least resistance or most power. Oftentimes I start with a skillset and then build a personality around them, sometimes it's the other way around. Either way, I tend to end up with personalities that are pretty intertwined with their mechanical foundation and training choices.

I've never really gotten into casters, despite a few attempts. My most successful caster to date is my bolting wizard, who has made it to 40+ largely on strength of personality. Needing to pop to offensive in combat, however briefly, helps a little with engagement; I apparently need some vulnerability/danger in my combat in order to enjoy myself, which is why I think CS casting from guarded never turned my crank.

So as a high level overview and the root of it all, most of my 'why this profession' has been because I wanted access to X skills/spells to support Y character personality/background/concept, as well as the utility of having X skills/spells on hand.

I wanted a locksmith because picking has a lot of interesting facets and is a useful support service, and I wanted to be as good as I possibly could be, so Nayolan will always be 3x with lores and her weapon training has changed twice since inception in order to work around that.

I wanted an empath because I enjoy playing support characters and having a useful support skill to offer (my first three characters were empaths). Avidleigh went OHE/Polearms in GS3, then just poles in GS4. Mourne started as an archer, then polearms, then pure caster (Ugh, no thank you. Empath offensive spells are really neat but I need weapons), then UAC, and UAC so far has stuck. Warpaths will always be near and dear to my heart.

I wanted a bard because I wanted access to loresinging, and because I wanted to play an actual semi and see if that clicked as the best-of-both-worlds arrangement I shoehorn my warpaths into. I went with UAC because I enjoy it so much with other characters and I hadn't seen much chatter about how bards were with it, so I figured I'd see if it worked well. (Spoiler: it works great, but it's a verrrrry phys-heavy build. Magic skills are hilaribad right now.) So Gavrien became a street thug and almost-rogue who happens to have an underdeveloped talent for magic-via-music.

I wanted a wizard because... no, actually, I didn't really want a wizard. But when I popped back up from a few years' break and needed to remember how to play, I decided to finally flesh out and roll up an elemental caster concept I'd had jotted down years prior, and I felt like I might enjoy bolting most of the magical options available. And so the profession choice got baked into Nicolao's personality and background so much that there's no way he could be anything else anymore. The only reason he wasn't abandoned early as a "This was a nice way to get my feet wet, now back to my established characters" experiment was that three days after I rolled him up, he met Abrimel, and thus abruptly found himself caught up in a whirlwind of social interaction, character development, and extremely satisfying interpersonal roleplay. So he continues on strength of personality alone, as mentioned above.

There are a handful of others whose professions were chosen because I wanted to mess around with that spellset or subvert an archetype in some fashion, but I've already rambled on enough here. :D

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 04:43 PM CST
My current obsession is a clean cut, clumsy yet cheerful, gentleman giant sorcerer. He was once an apprentice to a powerful sorcerer but now finds himself without a master piecing together what he can of his master's trade. He says while he may be learning how to be a sorcerer what he practices may or may not actually be proper sorcery.

I've mainly played semis over the years and recently opened up a plat account so I've been trying pures over there. This character is a sorcerer due purely to his background story.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/08/2018 08:59 PM CST
I was won over by the gruesome and malevolent nature of the sorcerer base list, as well as the glowingly optimistic description of it all in Hadiar's guide (initially and then Silvean's guide and so on), and some peer pressure on the virtues of being able to hunt in guarded with warding spells. Xorus essentially took over for the character who was first made into a sorcerer, who was supposed to be a pseudonym of the same character. The preceding one had been a wizard because I was enamored at the time with the violent elemental spells and storm effects. Sorcery was dominated at the time by the less flashy "specific immediate destruction" model of Rolemaster sorcerer spells.

Consequently, why Xorus is a sorcerer is more of a matter of retconning, and part of that is cultural background being Dark Elven. He prefers to be called a "warlock" for his magical crafting, and dismisses the idea it is meaningful to refer to a given magical art as a "profession." Sorcery is ill-defined in the world system for various reasons, but he has very specific definitions for these things. The broad meaning of "sorcery" as unnatural fusion of energies is the key point. He focuses on using "dark powers" for magic.

I intend on him writing a theory-of-sorcery thesis at some point laying out his philosophical position on the matter. The gist of it is that he considers "classical sorcery", of the "as Korthyr knew it" kind, as being essentially that Rolemaster sorcery definition. Limb disruption and pain are sorcery. He does not consider necromancy and demonology to be "sorcery", he regards them as historically "the black arts" which have become incorporated in a broadly sorcerous way by the Faendryl. The violent destructive nature of the magic with the target material he calls the unavoidable consequence of unnatural fusions of power. He considers sorcerous modes close to the flow magic of "Arcane" power.

- Xorus' player

"(If you really want to understand Marlu, I suggest reading "The Call of Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.)" - Varevice (2000)
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/09/2018 11:51 AM CST
Amorana is a cleric because i had a story that i am putting to pen and she fits the bill. Generaly nice, she rarely laughs and keeps her emotions well in check. I like the cleric because to me they are simple to play but not overly populated like warriors. I also like the rp opportunities that i can just roll with due to her back story and profession.

I got fired from the keyboard factory....turns out i was not putting in enough shifts
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/09/2018 12:29 PM CST
Alisaire is a ranger because 605 is the best spell in game. She was originally a warrior, because I really liked the idea of a non-magic using Dhe'nar and developed her entire backstory as having been derived from that. Fortunately, it's quite easy to see how an elf may pick up an affinity for some parts of the flow over centuries of various exposure and other life-changing events.

My human mage is precisely that because I wanted to play a character affiliated (registered) with the Imperial Hall of Mages. Similarly my Faendryl sorcerer is precisely that because such a profession truly epitomizes Faendryl culture.

My half-elf unconverted paladin is that because that character's backstory is a study in contrariness, opposing any concept of bowing down to someone else - be it through Chaston's Edict and racial superiority or through subjugation by the Arkati upon their followers, regardless as to how benevolent the individual beings might appear to be. Having an anti-religious character be a devout type of profession (namely: paladin) really appealed to me for this one's personality.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/09/2018 12:56 PM CST
I went with warrior because at the time, without the actual paladin profession, it was the closest I could get to a classic D&D paladin. By the time conversion rolled around, I stuck with warrior since I felt it fit my RP closer- a mechanical decision that some days is absolutely worth it and other days has me kicking myself.

Also, I had never played a warrior prior and thought it'd be funsicles.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/09/2018 01:56 PM CST

>classic D&D

That is why Askip is a wizard.

When the first D&D game was released someone at work brought it in to show it around, and I thought it had potential.

We had a running game set up in the basement of the game shop it was purchased in (hardcore, no re-rolling stats) and I got my wizard to level 6 before I changed jobs and moved.

GS3 filled a 20-year void.

:D
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/10/2018 05:40 AM CST
I like CS casters for the same reason Mourne doesn't. Being self-reliant very early on is less frustrating. Squares and to a lesser extent semis seem to need a lot of outside spells under level 25. I know people stance dance and stuff and that's great but for me, it frustrates me to have to retreat constantly if an area is busy. My favorite profession is an empath because 1106 lowers td so it's a lot more hitting and killing instead of say, a 60% hit chance with 702/302 over and over plinking.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/11/2018 01:18 PM CDT
I think I’ll limit this post to my two most active characters.

Ravinder, in his original incarnation circa sometime in 1996, was my first “serious” character. At the time I rolled him up, I had been playing a new (at the time) “dark fantasy” video game called “Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain.” I loved the world and themes presented in that game - not to mention the various spells and blood-draining mechanic - so much that it inspired me to finally make a Sorcerer.

Raethir is a more recent character at just over a year old, and also happens to be my first rogue. Originally, I simply liked the idea of a street-smart youth making his way as a mercenary far from home, but he’s grown into much more than that thanks to the people he’s met. This is also reflected in his training, as prior to reaching 20 I’d switched back and forth numerous times between TWC/brawling and TWC/edged. Witnessing the Palestra trials am meeting Arku finally cemented his weapons of choice as the latter.

~Player of Raethir and Ravi, Lover of R-names.
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/11/2018 04:30 PM CDT
Many, many moons ago, when I first played GS (back when it was Gemstone III and played on AOL dial-up), I played a character who didn't have a guild. At all. So this time around, I wanted to play a character with a fully functioning guild. That narrowed it down to warriors and rogues. I made one of each. Nazarr, my rogue, panned out; the original warrior didn't. (I now have another alt who's a warrior, but he's too young for the warrior guild as of yet.)

Hasau was created on an impulse. Monks hadn't been a class when I last played, nor had half-Krolvin been a race. So I decided to create a character who was both. She's worked out surprisingly well so far. I'm working on getting her to the eighth step of Voln training, which would be fantastic for an unarmed fighter like her. Now if only /she/ had a guild or a temple or somewhere to go for training...

In addition to my rogue and monk, I have two sorcerers (one male, one female), one wizard (female), and the aforementioned warrior (male).
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/11/2018 05:32 PM CDT
The main things I knew about Leafi before I created her were that she grew up in the forest, had a strong affinity for music, and pretty early in her life she was killed and resurrected under mysterious circumstances. That had me looking respectively at rangers, bards, and clerics/paladins as her options, and I went with a cleric since it seemed like the best choice for incorporating all three elements.

If I could do it again knowing what I know now... I have no clue what she'd be. I'm glad I didn't go paladin, but I'll always wonder what if she'd been a ranger or bard--or an empath or wizard, which I wasn't thinking of at the time but now consider my two favorites mechanically. RP-wise I even think there's a case for her being a warrior or rogue considering how her personality has developed, but mechanically I wouldn't do that since I get bored if I can't switch between weapons and magic whenever I want.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/15/2018 08:33 AM CDT
When I generated Khy I was originally planning on her being an Aelotion Lore-Keeper. I wanted her to write and tell or sing the tales of the history of her people, and that is initially why I chose Bard. Since then her direction has mutated. In the beginning she was a "Blade Dancer", focused on TWC with OHE, that changed in her early 20's and she went to "Pole Dancer" using naginata. In time she will roll through THW and even dabble as a pure, but will ultimately end up back in the TWC field post-cap. Her history is muddled, and she doesn't remember half of her childhood on Bre'Naere, but one thing that has remained true for her is that she is Devoted to L'Naere and always will be. Her primary goal is to bring the Aelotian back to L'Naere, even if she is a dead Arkati, and as such she is writing stories, poems, plays and songs that will bring L'Naere back into the forefront of Aelotian culture.

Khylynnia SparrHawk
Aelotian Bardess
L'Naereen'dar
Sonic Researcher
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/18/2018 11:56 AM CDT
Like Askip, I had a similar situation - in missing out on table-top gaming. I was on a work trip when I realized my co-workers were closet gamers and played something called Gemstone. Because it was likened it to a 'choose your own adventure' book as well, and since literature is my calling - I was immediately intrigued.

My first was a warrior, simple stuff - I always try new games as a fighter type, in order to get an understanding of combat mechanics first before I delve into magic. Over the years, I would try out a new profession for a little while to see if I enjoyed it. I never could stick with anything for long, constantly rerolling due to limited character space since I didn't jump on that premium bandwagon until years later.

Eventually, I decided to focus more in-depth on religion and culture based roleplay, which I saw truly enriched character development. Talinvor is my most recent (and longest running) character. Though I originally chose rogue, I realized there hadn't been any bards since the culture became canon and I had the desire to be first. The Lorekeepers struck me as a fascinating concept in the culture. It gave me an outlet for creative writing, simple enjoyment of the game history, as well as demonstrating appreciation other player's contributions without being as xenophobic as the typical Dhe'nar.

-Talinvor's player

-==Social Media Stuff==-

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/talinvor

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vorrith

http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com
Re: Thank you, and next question! Your profession, and why? 03/28/2018 08:53 AM CDT
I never answered my own question, so I'll do that, and then post the next in the series. I hope you all continue to enjoy these and I'll keep posting them every few weeks. Thank you all for participating, I've really enjoyed getting to know both your characters and your motivations and inspirations.

Ysharra's a ranger for a multitude of reasons, but the first and foremost would be my friendship with Kali in the game. My first character, Nekra, was a ranger, but when I rolled her up on AOL, I had no idea what I was doing and trained her in ranged weapons. Range-r, right? Sadly, since that wasn't implemented at the time, she had a rather short life. I still liked the idea, and years later, while chatting with Kali on the porch in whispers, she told me she'd help me if I wanted to try again. Thus, Ysharra was created. Ranged still wasn't an option yet, so she has a traditional path of OHE/ambushing that most of us did at the time. I've stuck with it because after two decades I can type ambush commands in my sleep.

Other reasons would be some personal motivations, around the time I was playing around with a ranger concept I was doing a lot of reading for a class about climate change. Fairly bleak and depressing stuff, and the more I learned about it I started putting elements of it into my character. I wanted something different from the stereotype of wearing green, having leaves on everything, tree-hugging friend-to-bunnies stuff and engage in something darker and more reflective of not just what nature is but what it becomes under stress. Ysharra's arctic origins are as much a part of her backstory as they are representative of the creeping frozen wasteland that will eventually overcome large portions of the planet (either or Earth or Elanthia). She has a lot of environmental threats/mysteries that she investigates as part of her "ranger" activities, like a jar of frogs who are infected with a species-killing fungus.

Past that, I haven't really ever bought into the idea of the idyllic ranger, not with spells like Spikethorn, Call Swarm and Nature's Fury in the wheelhouse. Also, I agree with EK, Whispering Willow is the best spell in the game. Heh.

-GK!