Your stuff! 03/29/2017 09:06 AM CDT
We have touched on this in some of the other topics here, and the answers were interesting enough I thought it would deserve its own thread. Most of us who have been about awhile have a collection of items that are relevant to our roleplaying, and/or our character's histories. Could you tell us about one or more of them, and what they mean to you and your Elanthian self? Are they mementos from your character's childhood/apprenticeship? A link to their culture, religion or social circle? Are they tools of their trade, or part of a hobby? Also, how and where did you get this/these items?

-GK!
Re: Your stuff! 03/29/2017 04:58 PM CDT
a pair of singed casting gloves depicting a smoldering reiver archmage

After Askip defeated a reiver archmage during an invasion, he tore off his still smoking casting gloves and dropped them.

Some grateful citizens retrieved them, had them embellished to commemorate the fight and presented them to Askip.

Or so the story goes.

:D
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 12:35 AM CDT
Interesting props that become sentimental/core RP tools are among my favorite things. I'm sure I could go on and on and on about all the little things I've got tucked away and how they're meaningful (in a deliberately made fashion, or a gifted fashion, or an acquired-and-grew-meaningful fashion...) but that might become reminiscent of visiting an aging grandparent and sitting with them while they go over a lifetime of photos. Could be fun, could be a recipe for eyeglaze, depends entirely on how much you care.

Gavrien is not particularly sentimental and does not collect lots of little things that he absolutely must carry around, like some of my others are and do. However, he wears a small suede pouch around his neck. I picture it as generally being tucked into his shirt, at least partially out of sight. It, and its contents, were a gift from someone dear to him (as grudgingly as he might admit it), and are something of a symbolic ball and chain.

Storytime!

Last summer I took a trip to Alaska and was off the grid for a week but for brief moments of cell service as I toured the north half of the Inside Passage on a little cruise boat. (Do recommend, absolutely glorious experience.) Prior to this, my no-strings drifter had been staying in one place far longer than was his usual, so I thought, "I'll be gone for a bit, it'd be engaging to give Gav an IC reason to not be in sight for a while too." Thus, he became more restless and chafing at his growing attachments and decided he was done and it was time to move on. He hinted at his imminent departure to a few others, gave his sister a couple letters to pass on, and took off for parts unknown the night before I got on the boat.

Of course, he came back when I did. I wrote a multi-day vignette to cover his departure, the inner turmoil that drove him back to the road, a few things that happened while he was away, and the tipping point when he turned around and went back to Solhaven to deal with all the uncomfortable feelings he'd been running from.

The day after Gav rolled back into town, his partner in crime gave him a stern talking to, then tied off the noose with the gift of the aforementioned pouch and its contents:

>look at my pouch
Crafted from nondescript brown hide, the small container is simply constructed and features no adornment, save for the long, lustrous cord of rich sanguine silk cinched tightly about its opening.

>In the suede neck pouch:
Gems [1]: a heart-shaped ruby

Later last year, at EG, I nabbed one of the totem pouches from the ticket prize wall and had the scripts moved over to the pouch he wears. (Yes, it cost 500k to move a script when I could have just re-altered the new pouch and moved its contents over. Hush.)

So now the thing has some very fitting messaging for various and sundry:

>You lift the leather ties of a brushed suede neck pouch up over your head, removing it carefully from its spot close to your heart.
>You slip the leather ties of a brushed suede neck pouch over your head, settling it into place over your heart.
>You tap your suede neck pouch pensively with one finger.
>You place your hand over your suede neck pouch curling your fingers around it protectively.

As for the specific significance of the gem, it's tucked away in the lore docs and I invite you to indulge in a small scavenger hunt. Gav eventually ended up playing darts with Siwas, with drinks and answers to questions as the stakes, to get clued in.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 01:45 AM CDT
P.S. MOURNE, you totally changed your avatar and sig remark. It did not go with notice.
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 04:33 AM CDT
Gonna use my empath for this one. Seems more appropriate then posting about Star's deep fried elven fingers that have been in his cloak since 2003.

Back in the AOL days I played an empath that made the transition onto the WEB before taking a multi year break. When I came back, it was under a new account and I RPed the new empath (that I still play now) as the first one's daughter (mostly as a way of explaining how she was already familiar with certain things and why she ventured to RR. The first couple years I had her hunting gear altered to honor her mother, then had her scabbard done to honor her husband (who hasn't been in GS in years, to my knowledge).

It's all standard 4x, except the sword is slightly crit weighted, and I finally lockered her leathers about a month ago in favor of something mechanically better... but I'm giving serious thought to having her new leathers altered to have a similar show. I blocked out the name on the scabbard for this post since it's the name of a character played by someone else:

You remove some herb shrouded leathers from on an armor stand.
>l my lea
Cut from fine leather, these fitted leathers are shrouded in dried herbs. Partially hidden amongst the herbs is the portrait of a beautiful Sylvan empath with the word, "Mother" stitched below it. You see nothing unusual, except for a small enchanter's glyph.

You tap a lustrous veniom-trimmed blood red shield engraved with a sovyn clove that you are wearing.

You tap a blood red badelaire etched with a series of sovyn cloves along the length of the blade.

You tap an engraved solid silver scabbard that you are wearing.
>l my sca
Wrought of fine silver, this slender scabbard is etched along its entire length with overlapping sovyn cloves and other various herbs. Several flawless green emeralds are inset upon the metal and carved into letters to spell the name, "XXXXX."

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 07:06 AM CDT

Taunee wears a flower in her hair. It was given to her some time ago by someone very dear to her.

Cordaleigh, her bow, given to her by the uncle who taught her to shoot. Mechanically it is not the
best bow out there, though I don't foresee her ever trading it in for a fancier model.
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 11:45 AM CDT
>P.S. MOURNE, you totally changed your avatar and sig remark. It did not go with notice. -Naamit

And here I thought I was being sneaky. ;) I was just commenting earlier this week that I'd been using that avatar for something like 15 years and change is hard.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 04:01 PM CDT
Radeek has never felt that material possessions mattered overmuch, but he does have two items that rank as the third and fourth most important things in his life, behind Phever and his wolf, Eclipse, of course.

1. His marbled grey woodsman's longbow, named Eyesore. It's history is nearly as old as Radeeks, having been made by his second-father (who also trained Radeek as an archer) and given to Radeek when, as a young man, he was cast out from his people and left the Sea of Fire. Radeek is proud of his heritage and his lineage, which brings with it his high status among his people (archers are normally from the servile classes in Tehir society, which makes Radeek very non-typical), and though he knows he is a very accomplished archer, he always tries to downplay his own skill and give the credit to his bow.

2. Some lapis lazuli prayerbeads inlaid with bursts of yellow sunstone. Though these Phoen attuned prayerbeads are not uncommon at merchant events and the like, this particular set was a special gift, long ago, from Lady Charna; she was the first to refer to Radeek as The Ranger of Phoen. They remind Radeek of what he was all those years ago, and though, due to circumstance, he is no longer devout or pious in his devotion to his chosen deity (he does still pray to Phoen, frequently, even though his faith has been nearly completely shattered), the prayerbeads are now a symbol of everything he stood for before his descent into shadow. He clings to them with a forlorn hope that only those who are truly damned can have; the hope that perhaps one day he can once again be who and what he was.

Radeek has a number of items inherited from his real mother, or given to him by his adoptive parents; most pertaining to his legacy from his birth-clan and all have special meaning to him, most especially his scrying bowl, and though these items are important to him, it is the two above that really matter.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 05:32 PM CDT
Rohese has a lot of stuff but there is one item that I think - and hope - she is becoming known for her, and that's "THE BOOK!"

In short, it's a book on etiquette purportedly written by her grandmother; the contents of which I actually shared recently in this very folder. I have added EZscripts over the years that hopefully demonstrate Roh's chagrin over any lack of propriety. Let's just say, it strikes fear into Dreaer.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Your stuff! 03/30/2017 09:00 PM CDT
Kayse has a lot of stuff she holds dear but the two most important things:

a pale carved sephwir lily suspended on an ivy vine choker (Her most prized possession because it was given to her by Rowmi who had it made for her after a storyline event where she received visions by Aeia and a group of adventurers defended the shrine in River's Rest.)

a sard-pommeled dark vultite scramasax (Given to her by Rowmi when they first met and solidified a bond between them. It was a dagger he carried around for awhile and he wanted her to use it in battle. Funny thing is it used to be a lower enchant than one of my other daggers but for RP purposes I used it! This was before he knew about her following Aeia as well)
>look at scramasax
Among the natural blue and silver hints of the vultite, a swathe of green enamel slithers down the blade in a groove etched from shoulder to tip. At the base of the blade, the guard is simple, but elegant, with limbs cut on the diagonal to give the cross a gentle tilt. The grip is wrapped in dark green suede, and the pommel of the weapon is a round of pale green jade carved with a graceful lily. You see nothing unusual, except for a small enchanter's glyph.

She also has a silver case that holds a few important items from her past in it that she keeps tucked away in a locker.

~Kayse's figment of her imagination.

Some townspeople wander by, looking twice at Kayse and Rowmi, shaking their heads, then wandering off.
Re: Your stuff! 04/10/2017 01:15 PM CDT
On the web: https://gswiki.play.net/Holy_Scourge

The whip Naamit won at GA2016, while seemingly out of place at first, fit extremely well into one part of her back story. Her mother was giantkin, but her father was completely unknown. Naamit is short and not terribly brutish (debatable) and her racial makeup had always been speculated. Learning its history solidified what Naamit wondered about for many years: she truly is half giant, half human.

What's yet to be seen is how she will wipe the filth from its core: the Holy Scourge's 'blessed' path is her antithesis. She's begun the process of corruption, but it will take time....

I'd like to be able to claim that while I was gone from the game for many years, Naamit located and killed her father, taking the whip as a prize. It's chronologically inaccurate given that she just got it, it also wouldn't serve too much purpose, AND I've never been much for vignettes, so no dice there. Guess she'll just plod heedlessly through that eternal quest.
Re: Your stuff! 04/12/2017 03:13 AM CDT
Late to the thread, but I've really enjoyed reading everyone's answers.

I love a bunch of items and could come up with a really long list that would doubtless bore anyone but me, so I'll stick to just a few:

- A tiny flower. This was the first gift Silvean ever gave Lylia, so it's quite a few RL years old. It's been altered to look pressed and dried too. The thing's actually a consumable item of some sort, and I'm always a little paranoid that I'm going to eat some woth flower and accidentally chow down on her most cherished possession. It used to be tucked into a pocket of her belt, but now it lives in a locket where it's safe from accidental consumption (I hope).

- A teardrop of flawless amber: "Trapped within the amber is the tiniest of figures. It appears to be a small winged sprite, a final look of sorrow on her face." This was the first cool item I ever found in a box. It's just jewelry, but I liked it so much that it's part of why my character collects and appreciates amber. I also happen to like and have a fair amount of amber jewelry in real life, including a teardrop-shaped pendant that I particularly love because I visualize Lylia's as looking very much like it. (My real one has no sprite, unfortunately, just some leaf litter.)

- Some helical bejeweled lor hairsticks. Their detailed description suggests they could be used as weapons in close quarters, and I love these. They look very like a set Lylia's mother wore, or so she'd tell you; what she wouldn't tell you is that she always coveted them as a tangible sign of lethal, womanly sophistication and feels practically invincible when wearing them.

- A dull white soulstone suspended by a frayed leather cord. This belonged to Aralyte and used to be a vibrant red soulstone before the coming of the Ithzir. It used to give her strange dreams that she wasn't sure were her own, and she wondered if the item was a sort of phylactery for Aralyte, a repository for her memories or a bit of her soul in case some extra-planar baddie did something terrible to her. Now it's silent, but she's sure it's not inert, and she hasn't given up on finding ways to reawaken or refill it. It never leaves her. (The dreams and whispers were all completely my own invention; didn't want to give the impression I'd heard anything new about Aralyte than what everyone else has gotten.)

That doesn't include Lylia's wedding ring, a pair of boots that used to cast old-school Haste 2 and now self-cast Stone Fist, a deputy star, an in-game edition of the Elanthian Times that has an interview with Plur among other curiosities, the fabulous hennin, and a bunch of other odds and ends. I don't have anything particularly valuable even though some of it's old stuff, but I love all of it. One of the best parts of coming back a few years ago was opening my locker and seeing a ton of memories.
Re: Your stuff! 04/18/2017 06:51 PM CDT
I've tended to hug the low levels of the game, so I've never acquired powerful objects of doom. (My holy grail in that sense would be Kree's demon sword, not just because it has a spirit draining demon in it, but because of its esoteric history. It's probably the only object in the game that would have come from the Isle of Aranmor.) Xorus always carries a glyph trap on him so he can set it off whenever convenient, I've used it as a loophole to unexpectedly escape from situations where teleportation magic was otherwise disabled. The box itself is technically unimportant, I could replace it before too long if I had to, but I've been using the same box for it since the 90s.

* A dark rolaren Huntress symbol: This has no look description and technically imbeddable, but I would never risk using it that way. Xorus bought it off Hadiar at the House Chesylcha auction. The more purely IC reason for it is the ascension concept behind The Huntress, and Xorus having a long historical tendency to mask his identity. Slightly impure IC reason is that the object goes back to the Huntress player cult from before she started becoming an official goddess, so it's a Lord High Priest Bleeds homage thing wearing that object even though strictly speaking Xorus would not do such a thing. Somewhat more OOC reason is that it kind of physically codifies some esoteric knowledge about the game history. The Huntress is supposed to represent the spider goddess of the Spider Temple, because some people thought it was pretty lame that Hrassk's name was changed to Arachne. (It is pretty lame.) I would be very surprised if it had an extended lore song, but it is not impossible.

* An etched dark urnon longsword: Likewise bought at a player auction 15 years ago. I do not carry it because of encumbrance. These were rack bought from some ill-advised decision at whichever merchant event, but most of them are probably in lockers on inactive accounts. It is older than the materials properties rewrite where urnon became similar to veil iron in its strength, so its ST/DU is a lot lower than it "should" be. It has the acid flaring property of the metal, but not the "chaotic" properties of something you'd buy at say the Great Auction nowadays. I'm pretty bad at pre-planning GALDs so it has a show description but still has the original short description. I will get it changed at some point, and change the show description so it is kris bladed. I just wasn't thinking. The etching is now serpent demon themed, which I did out of my interest in Shadow Valley and my theory on the OOC motivation for the abyrans. The IC rationale for it is that it is supposed to be something Xorus brought up with him from his cult in the Southron Wastes. I do not have the exact theological meaning defined yet, but the general idea is if the right kind of people saw it they would know who / what they are dealing with, again because Xorus historically has masked his identity when wandering around other societies. I wanted to put it in that xenium scabbard that has floated around, where xenium is the archaic alloy form of veniom, but at the moment Ardwen has the xenium market cornered.

* An attractive Scalu symbol: I've only had this for a month or two. It is actually a wand, I thought it would be wearable. Xorus' IC reason for being in the Landing region is heavily weighted on the Broken Lands and dealing with the cultists there, so I wanted to have an archaic Sheruvian symbol to represent that and kind of hand-wave through this pretense that they would be willing to deal with him rather than try to eat him and sacrifice his soul to Sheru. Objects this old do not have show descriptions or loresong stories, so their short descriptions are often tasteless by today's standards.[1] In principle the symbol depicts a hyena rather than jackal. Xorus also wears a moonstone diadem under his hood that technically does not actually do anything, but under archaic lore should glow blood red when Lornon is doing its thing.

* A chalice of venom: Plucked from a Halloween cart around year 2000. I left one for Romulus and keep the other on Xorus. He harvests from snakes and whatever, supposedly, but I never actually drink from it. I know you should not be able to tell from looking at it, but there's just something pithy about a chalice of venom.

* vruul skin casting leathers: I'm not done tweaking this yet. It is Tier 5 ensorcelled double leathers. Now that enchantments cannot blow up, I can see about doing that. I need to look at the exact character limit rules so I can fit an adjective in front of it. I want to add a long description along the lines of "etched with horrific demonic slaughter" and then tweak the show description so that is what you see on the front side. The back side depicts a regal goddess on an incarnadine throne with pale forms writhing before her in agony. I did not want to hold up the line going back and forth about it at the time, not having had an exact wording in mind. What I want is for the goddess to actually be on fire, maybe dark tendrils lashing out at the pale figures. This is another Broken Lands motivated object. More specifically, it is supposed to refer to the way Kadaena and Orgiana (Eorgina) were conflated, the apotheosis/transmogrification theme of the Broken Lands, the fact that they had demonic servants, and how Kadaena was the "dark queen" who invented the vruul which are basically demon-looking gargoyles. By extension it is my special interest in The Graveyard's story.

* blackened serpentine scepter: I'm using an ensorcelled acuity flaring runestaff now, for mechanical reasons, but this scepter is an altered void flaring runestaff with a skull on it. (4x enchant, Tier 2 ensorcelled. For now.) I had the merchant carve the skull into an ivory likeness of a vathor head, since I did not have the required demon part, and the ironwood was carved to resemble the body of an abyran. I've since acquired an abyran'ra skull, but I'm not going to mess with it. In principle this could also be turned into some kind of cult signifier or holy relic like the urnon longsword, but it is not powerful enough yet that I see a point in tweaking it to that effect.

- Xorus' player

[1] In the very unlikely event I ever acquire Thalior's staff, you can damn well believe I'm going to demand they change it back to a "staff twisted in the shape of a serpent with a demonic visage and capped with a dark diamond". Starsnuffer's pulsating shield of essence has to be out there somewhere, too.

>'=explain Who would deny, after all, that a rhetorical question is merely a statement?
You may not explain with a sentence ending in a question mark.
Re: Your stuff! 04/21/2017 12:30 PM CDT
Ysharra also has a lot of items that are important to her that have no real mechanical advantage (outside of the first one in the below list), no vorpal blades or Robe of Eyes and so on. That being said, here are the items she has that mean the most to me and to her.

This isn't really a "possession" so to speak, but it's probably one of the reasons I came back to playing GS, as geeky as it sounds-

a snow white raven glides into view:

Regal and imposing, the wintry plumage on this corvid is starkly set off by her beetle-black eyes and ebon talons, showing her to be a true white raven, rather than an albino. Her dark eyes are flecked with violet specks, which glimmer with intelligence as she stares back at you. Her large head is covered with long, silky feathers that span out in a spiky ruff around her throat. Her wings are nearly six feet long when extended, and marked with silver-blue tips on the long flight feathers.

This is Munin, her Animal Companion. Not only is she a perfect visual match to Ysharra, the various mythological representations of ravens fits with her demeanor and history. Chatty and full of trouble :) Also, while I know it's all random, I never seem to go long without there being some serendipitous (and loud) response from Munin to whatever is going on around them both. For a bunch of text lines, I get more enjoyment out of these particular text lines than anything else in the game.

A carved ivory vasculum:

The thick, gleaming ivory has been sand-carved with stylized ivy leaves and thorns, while the inside has multiple specialized chambers for holding live and dried specimens securely, as well as various gardening implements. The clasp is wrought mithril, an aconite blossom and a cocklebur spear looped together in the shining metal.

Vasculums are a little obscure, and slightly anachronistic, they weren't in common usage until the 1770s, when they were popularized along with the rise of botany as a scientific field. Thankfully I managed to convince the merchant that they are no more inappropriate than several other common items, and since acquiring it she's had it lightened and deepened, so now it holds 60 pounds worth of plant trimmings, gardening tools, various other implements for making potions and tinctures out of said trimmings- and it is always full. Mind you, it's all role-playing, none of it is functional outside of the standard healing herbs, and it's sixty pounds of fluff sitting on a character who's an ambusher. But I'm sure most of the folks posting here can understand the underlining dedication, heh. Last note- the two flowers etched on the mithril clasps are for Ysharra's daughters, Aconite and Xanthium- due to someone telling her once: "Everything that comes from you is poison!"

A leather-hung gnarled bone amulet:

Except in substance, the piece of gnarled grey bone more closely resembles a twisted briar root than any part of a skeleton. Four parallel ridges run along one side of the amulet, and the bone breaks open at three spaces between the ridges to expose a blood-red crystal imprisoned at the heart of the amulet. A black leather cord loops down through a hole bored beneath a fifth ridge.

This item came from Harith, the Mularosian general from the GSS a decade and a half ago. Ysharra is both uncomfortable with and proud of her gift, and holds herself responsible for its contents, as apparently it would take an Arkati to do anything about it. It's killed a few bards with its loresong, Japhrimel, the most recent victim, was kind enough to post it on the PC if anyone is that curious.

a despanal-set mithril choker:

A winter-white mithril band frames the choker, which is secured with an etched silver clasp. Set upon the crown of the necklace is a faceted despanal, offsetting the icy metal. The hexagonal-cut despanal is a deep incarnadine, bordering on black, couched in its mithril seat. Stylized drakes have been etched along the choker, their serpentine tails twining across the metal.

Pretty as it is (at least to me), this piece has more significance to me as a player rather than Ysharra's fashion sense, as the design is the combined effort of several friends' assistance, some of which are now long gone, so the prose is comforting to read here and there, and remember them well.

-GK
Re: Your stuff! 04/29/2017 12:27 AM CDT
I've been meaning to answer this one for a while, so here goes.

Azryen isn't very sentimental and tends to carry around the bare minimum of personal items. I can't say that he has much of anything that holds sentimental value, aside from a few notes that he keeps tucked away on his person. They don't contain anything particularly interesting, as they're very brief, but they were written for him. That means something, I suppose. While he'd hate to lose them, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they disappeared.

Abrimel, however, is a bit of a pack rat. He'd likely respond that all of his belongings are special, down to his rattiest shirt, but there are a few things mean a more than the rest.

Abrimel is mostly illiterate, but thanks to a few friends (and awesome players), that has been improving over time. He has gone from being completely illiterate to being able to sound out words and even write his own name. There are two items that have contributed to this, one of which came as a complete surprise and delight to me as a player. First, his sometime tutor Lylia gave him some paper, a quill, and a piece of parchment to trace in order to help him learn his letters. The second item is a primer written in a book by his best friend Nicolao. I can't begin to describe how amazing this is, considering the amount of time, effort, and creativity it took for the player to create, so I'll share it in its entirety via a link below.
https://pastebin.com/nurznE3D

Abrimel also keeps a book of his own that he has practiced his letters in. It started out well but then devolved into sketch book, thanks to his short attention span. I'd share this also, but it's rather long and more than a little silly. If anyone is really that interested in his artistic abilities, he submitted a drawing for the Cairnfang Manor Art Show that's happening soon. (Hi, Sir Bristenn!)

Another item that he keeps close at hand is a mirror that his friend Serenwy made for him. The flowers painted on the back spell his name.
a smooth white oak mirror / Framing the silvered glass is a narrow, wooden border carved and painted to resemble a loosely woven daisy chain. Meticulously painted on the mirror's back is a colorful posy of asters, bluebells, roses, irises, marigolds, edelweiss, and lilacs.

He also carries "a doodle-covered wooden lunchbox with a brass handle" that Japhrimel made for him to carry his sweets and treats in. He's been known to hoard candy.
Re: Your stuff! 04/29/2017 12:46 AM CDT
>The second item is a primer written in a book by his best friend Nicolao. I can't begin to describe how amazing this is, considering the amount of time, effort, and creativity it took for the player to create, so I'll share it in its entirety via a link below. https://pastebin.com/nurznE3D

I'm still ridiculously pleased with that thing. So many subtleties, nuances, and easter eggs in there. And I may be a sucker for praise.

---
Re: Your stuff! 04/29/2017 01:47 AM CDT
I love that book; such a creative and thoughtful gift!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Your stuff! 05/01/2017 07:45 PM CDT
Talinvor has one very simple item that plays a major role in his RP. It is a silver-set black star sapphire that he wears around his neck.

In his backstory, he was in love with another Dhe'nar. Because she was of a different caste and not a bloodline that the Temple felt was strong enough - he made some life choices that ultimately led to her untimely death. He became a dirgesinger and a player of heartstrings without the true commitment from himself. He's been convinced by his caste that emotions are a tool, best plied by a bard - and as such, a bard should never succumb to them.

Because of this, he believes he is incapable again of falling in love. All is but an illusion.

The sapphire still reminds him of her, and a way for him to keep her memory close to his heart.

His dirges are here: http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com/prose/star/
and here http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com/prose/ash_tree/

<<Dark as a midnight sky, the sapphire is a large, lustrous specimen. Strung from a simple black leather cord, it rests in the curve of a silver talon to form an amulet. A streak of brilliant white erupts from its depths, spreading across portions of the surface into a six-pointed star.>>

-Tal's player

-==Social Media Stuff==-

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/talinvor

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vorrith

http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com
Re: Your stuff! 05/03/2017 03:08 PM CDT
Berkana doesn't have much that hasn't been changed over the years, and has not received a lot of gifts either (she has almost everything she needs), but these are some of her current treasures:

<a sheer nightshade-hued gossamer front-slit gown chased with onyx-beaded flames>
Just a gown, but the original garment was given to her as a gift by her beloved several years ago. Had it altered to match her personality and quirks somewhat (Eorgina, poisonous plant, flirtatious nature). She will never be altered again, as it was also the first item in her fashion direction change.

<a coiled silver filigree ankle-cuff>
Bright filigree of thorned rose vines settle over the coiled blackened silver of the ankle-cuff. A chain-hasped lock is formed in the shape of a curved talon gripping a round, hinged steel clasp.

Designed by Talinvor for Berkana — upon her becoming his shira'qa There's a private inscription on it.

<a black leather triple-chained collar>
A flame-hued scarlet despanal, caged in a setting of sharp briars, rests centered at the throat of the snug collar. Cinched tight with triple chains of silver on each side, a pattern of rose pyrography edged with argent stands out against the abyss black leather connected to them. At the nape, a steel talon hasp is clenched into a ring, preventing its removal.

Also designed primarily by Talinvor, given to Berkana on completing all of her shira'qa level tasks and "graduating" — has a very private inscription, the prose he wrote for her to go with it.

I am inordinately proud of all my tattoos:
<a colorful inking of solanaceae>
Skillfully and colorfully inked, the twisted vines of various solanaceae twine sensuously around the thigh. Shades of green foliage unfurl, revealing bright blossoms of some of the most poisonous and deadly flora found in Elanthia. Crimson datura and purple belladonna dance around magenta calibrachoa in a twisting braid, and curling tendrils climb higher along the pale, smooth flesh.

<a thorned black wild rose inking>
On the underside of her wrist is a detailed inking of a wild obsidian black rose in full bloom, its dark green vine-like stem and leaves curling around and along the lower part of her arm. Anchoring it at the bottom of her palm is a silvery talon gripping the blossom.

<an intricately inked cilice of curved argent talons>
Etched into her flesh with stunningly graphic detail is a cilice comprised of sharp argent talons, curved to create a series of rounded links. The razor sharp points slightly resemble barbs, and are matched with a vine of twisting, thorned wild black roses threaded through the center of the talons. Ringing where thigh and hip meet, the inking dips down along the soft inner flesh to complete the circle, and is tied off with a sanguine ribbon.

There's one more that extends from shoulder to hip across her back... but we'll keep that private.

She has two toys and one functional item she's currently slightly obsessed with:
<a small ebon velvet gem pouch traced with vaalin-stitched roses>
Sensing a theme yet? These are Aldoran Seer's Bag of Foretelling Stones. I cannot recall if these were won as a prize at Ebon Gate or an MHO event.

<a slatted green wooden case>
Nestled within the slot of the green wooden case is a series of wooden slats, each one crafted of a different type of wood and engraved with a painted symbol.
The case also tells fortunes. Berkana's really gotten into divination. Given to her by Ordim and the Gypsy Troupe.

<a vine-motif small cast iron stove>
The portable stove won at Ebon Gate last year (thanks primarily to all of Talinvor's scrip), so she can brew tea on the go! Also got a kettle to go with it.

~ Berkana, the easily entertained.