What's that smell? 03/13/2017 02:36 PM CDT
I've been spending time with two folks who wear perfume (ahem, cologne?) as of late: Heartfire and Eugenides. It has me wondering what those scents say about each of them and how they use it to evoke a given air. And further, whether or not my (or my character's) take on it matches what they intend. In inventorying Naamit's black hole of a locker I came across a variety of decades-old perfumes, some with pretty clear applications - burned flesh, anyone? Yay!

So tell me, how do you use scents with your character?

* What smell(s) describes your character
* Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
* When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
* Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

On the flip-side, what does your character think about various scents?
* What odors does your character love?
* What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible?
* Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?
* ad nauseum :)

Thanks! I'll try answering these questions myself after some other folks give this line of questions a whiff.
Re: What's that smell? 03/13/2017 02:53 PM CDT
Oooh! How fun!

>What smell(s) describes your character:
My favorite perfume in the game had the scent of freshly spilled blood and also poppies or nightshade in it. It reminded me of naughty and nice which fits her personality wonderfully. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find this perfume in a looooong time.

>Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
>When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
>Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

She is always wearing some scent on her, but I'm going to tie all these together. It depends on the situation(s). During Picklefest, Kayse would wear something that made her smell like dill pickles. It was great because they have a game there where you dive into a pickle barrel to fish for prizes, so when people leaned on her/hugged/or she referenced the game--there was a smell to tie into that roleplay and I treated it as a natural scent, not perfume. Same for around Bardfest, I have had her smelling like parchment to attribute to her spending all day/night working on her piece and writing.

I try and theme the perfume during the time of year as well. More floral in spring/summer, warmer/heavier scents for fall/winter. Weirdly enough, I try to theme them towards her outfits or an event she might be attending. Of course, sometimes mood plays a role as well.

>What odors does your character love?
>Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?
Flowers, flowers and more flowers. But specifically anything that reminds her of River's Rest. She has a stock of winterberry ale perfume I had designed for Beacon Hall that she loves. There are also rain/jungle scented perfumes and sea spray with flora that she adores, since they paint the picture of home to her. Also, with her newly found faith, lilies have been making more of an appearance in her scents.

>What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible?
Rotting/burning flesh, ::cough, cough, CRUX, cough, cough:: :)

~Kayse's figment of her imagination.

Some townspeople wander by, looking twice at Kayse and Rowmi, shaking their heads, then wandering off.
Re: What's that smell? 03/13/2017 04:35 PM CDT
>So tell me, how do you use scents with your character?

Ooh, another fun one.

I'll freely admit, I never really considered using perfumes on a regular basis for Alisaire until recently. Largely that's because I don't see her as actively wearing anything. However, there were some very evocative ones at the last Ebon Gate that carry undertones of what I always imagine her being around - and thus picking up their lingering aroma. (It was more than worth it to perm-ify the two that suits her best - Blood Ash, and, to a lesser degree, Deep Weald Shadow.) While my mage definitely enjoys wearing perfume specifically because of the different scents available, I'll focus on Alisaire for the purposes of this set of questions.

> * What smell(s) describes your character

I've always envisioned it as that heady odor that lingers in the heart of old growth forests, full of moss and rotting wood, but with the hint of greenery or wildflowers. Add in the heavy fog following the rain in late autumn, just as the sun is falling, where the odors are richer and danker from the thickness of the air and the decay of fresh leaves fallen over those of years past. Then there's a subtle undertone of something just a bit off, almost metallic or chemical, layered over the faint smell of sweat, earth, and worn leather gear, and that's about right. It's not necessarily a pleasant combination, but it's very much appropriate for who and what she is.

> * Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?

As mentioned above, while the perfume itself was sold off the shelf at EG, I envision it as a lingering aroma due to where she lives underground, plus the time she spends both outdoors in general and following certain pursuits specifically.

> * When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions? Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

For the aforementioned, I just reapply it in an empty room when it fades or is about to fade. I'm very glad for the 4 hour pours now because of that. I haven't yet encountered an occasion where she would intentionally wear something else. Alisaire generally does not have any reason to intentionally wear perfumes, though my mage would absolutely wear different scents for different occasions.

> * What odors does your character love? What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible? Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?

Alisaire is a fan of odors that are associated with strong (flavorful) spices used in certain types of cooking. She also likes the smell associated with mornings in the desert, arid but earthy. The acidic bite of an approaching storm, or of an interplanar portal opening, is likewise one that she's grown to enjoy and is deeply steeped with nostalgia. She actually dislikes the smell of roses. Eryael is entirely to blame. While she might not outwardly say much, she'll more often than not avoid somewhere that is overrun with the flowers. The smell of peonies, also due to events some 15 years ago, can be very nostalgic to her.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: What's that smell? 03/13/2017 05:43 PM CDT
Prior to the introduction of the permifier I would buy perfumes / colognes for certain characters but they would pretty much end up in a container or a locker unused because I didn't want to run out (and really didn't want to fill a locker for the sake of having a reasonable supply).

Along comes the permifier!

My wizard spends a lot of time doing alchemy, studying spells, researching in general. That's what wizards do, right? As such I adopted the following regular scent for my wizard:

You have an indistinct whiff of parchment and dust radiating from your skin.

My paladin of Sheru has two scents:

We frequently hint and joke(?) that his hunting partner, a wizard, sets him on fire whenever he does something wrong. As such I couldn't resist the choice in his every day scent.

One scent for every day wear: You have a horrible scent of burnt flesh clinging about your skin.

And one for special occasions: You have a near smothering veil of hardwood smoke about you, darkened by black musk and redeemed only slightly by a lucent ember of heliotrope burning in the background. From beneath the soot of the head notes rise strains of cassis and bitter-green inclusions of wormwood.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: What's that smell? 03/13/2017 06:26 PM CDT
>What smell(s) describes your character? Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
Tea, books, and blood... just like her first custom perfume, Teatime Ritual: You have the distinctive aroma of black tea clinging to your skin, enhanced by sweet, creamy vanilla top notes. Bitter accords of bergamot are undercut by the delicate musk of aged bookbinding and finished with an underlying sharp coppery tang. (Thanks to Galene for helping me with this years ago!)
The best part is that you only get the coppery tang if you actually sniff her, so most people miss that. It's only recently come up in game after YEARS of it being planned, but it's because she dabbles in hematomancy. So to most people she knows, it's the lingering scent of the things she is around the most- tea and books. Nothing sinister whatsoever!

>When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions? Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?
She always has a perfume on, unless she's recently died and I've forgotten to reapply it. She switches scents nearly every day depending on what she's wearing or how she's feeling, which very few people pick up on... but when they do, it's worth it to see them put it together. She does have a select few scents that are only for special occasions such as balls/formal events, or for when she's around certain other characters. There is one scent that she refuses to wear nowadays because she had a falling out with someone, and it makes her think of them.

>What odors does your character love? What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible?
Fruity/florals. Out of the five perfumes set as favorites in her shifting vial and her two customs, six are fruity florals. And yes, a bunch of those have wine notes. If you know Issalya that shouldn't be surprising! Scents she likes but does not wear personally are woodsy/musky warm scents. For scents she hates... anise and licorice. And most of the "gross" colognes- stagnant water, rotting flesh, etc. but those probably go without mentioning.

>Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?
Mainly nostalgia. She ties certain scents to other characters, and then those scents end up having a positive or negative effect on her. For example... forest scents, winterberry, and red musk would each make her react a different way.

~Issalya

You see High Inquisitor Brinret Ithillote the Executor of Vengeance.
She appears to be of elven descent.
He is very tall and appears to be full grown.
You whisper aloud, "I'm so confused right now."
Re: What's that smell? 03/14/2017 12:52 AM CDT
I'll respond to this very interesting topic on the morrow. For now, however, I'm just surfacing for my obligatory "begging Issalya to play Prime" post.

Ahem.

Come play Prime. We have elves, too! And you know we love yoooou~

~Definitely not Teveriel
Re: What's that smell? 03/14/2017 08:25 AM CDT
Ysharra uses perfume frequently, with jasmine being her regular favorite, as it's easily available via the scented oils in the bathhouses. I picked up the moonstone bottle at EG, and now I wish I'd spent the money to permify it as I've really grown to like it:

Ysharra has an ephemereal corona of niveous airs about her, reminiscent of a moonlit garden at midnight. The distinct redolence of nightcap blossoms is smoothed to silk by notes of white amber and smoky-sweet tobacco flower. Beneath lies a bed of unobtrusive orris root, blended to perfection with soft resins and a myriad of honeyed pale-petaled flowers.

Thus, I use it sparingly and will definitely be making the perfume merchants more of a priority in the coming opportunities. I joke a lot about Ysharra's gardening, but it's really a thing- she spends a lot of time making herbal medicinal recipes that require being on her knees in the dirt, ripping things out of the ground and stuffing them in her vasculum. Thus, despite the jasmine, I would imagine she's constantly got a hint of soil, tannin and plant oil on her, too. This is another reason why I'm sorely disappointed that rangers can't learn alchemy- I know everyone says it's laborious, but I agree with Naamit's suggestion that perfume & oil-making seems a nice match for a ranger's foraging talents.

She's gotten to have an appreciation for Tehir food, and frequently drags people down to Pasha's Pavilion to eat with her, and sometimes just hangs around Kraken Run to enjoy the aroma coming from the building. She's particularly fond of things flavored with cinnamon, cloves, or honey. I figure the Tehir cuisine might be somewhat similar to New Ta'Faendryl, being desert cultures, and living in the latter is the closest she's felt to having a "home" outside of the Landing, and the scent of hummus and peppered lizard takes her right back there.

Having spent a number of years subsisting in the tundras north of Aenatumgana has made it hard for her to eat food that isn't heavily-spiced, specifically meat, and she finds those odors often make her melancholy.

She'll joke about how much she hates rabbits or tease the Enclave for having bat chunks on their snack cart, but in truth it makes her uncomfortable to remember when she would have to hunt and slaughter tiny, helpless animals to survive, as well as remembering the one who didn't survive. Nothing brings out a mood swing quite like a scent, don't you think?

-GK!
Re: What's that smell? 03/15/2017 04:55 PM CDT
Hah. Just about everyone I know wears perfume. Maybe that explains why she's become a hugger...

Berkana's definitely more of a floral than fruit/herb/food scent. She's primarily a rose person, has picked up a few off-the-shelf scents at various shops and festivals. But her signature scent has rose and other unique florals in it, and is called "Midnight Tryst." If she's been baking, one might find vanilla, apricot, honey on her flesh.

Deliberately applied.

* When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
She always is scented, except right after death or swimming in ponds/playing among pools and waterfalls. If there is a special occasion, she might pull out a less-used scent just to change it up/entice.

Not per se.

Odors? Hmm... the scent of the ocean, even at low tide when it's more briny. Ozone of a thunderstorm, first splash of rain on pavement. Woodsmoke. Leather.

Anything that a NORMAL person would gag at. Garbage, decay, fecal matter. Extreme body odor (more dirty than musky).

Again, the normal reactions. Sneezing, gagging, choking. Being repulsed.
Re: What's that smell? 03/15/2017 05:18 PM CDT
> What smell(s) describes your character
On most days she probably smells a little alchemical, a little like old paper, and a little smokey, with an underlying layer of whatever basic soap she uses. (And I'll freely admit I haven't put a whole lot of thought into historically-appropriate soap...)

> Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
This is definitely just the natural aroma. Alchemy, books and fire - that's her work. And while she may not get fancy with it, she does still have a good command of basic hygiene! She definitely is not the type to bother with perfume. Even on a special/formal occasion, she probably wouldn't be bothered to use any.

> When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
> Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

That's a no on both counts. I have thought about getting a perfume for her 'everyday scent' - but I decided it probably wasn't worth it. Given that Raelee is the kind of person who tends to eschew physical contact with people, I could probably be putting perfume on her for weeks at a time before anybody actually noticed it.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: What's that smell? 03/15/2017 06:46 PM CDT
Most of the time, Talinvor smells like wine, rose, and perhaps a tinge of ozone and leather.

They linger naturally, more often when he's spent time at the Obsidian Tower. The Tower is surrounded by a mana storm and has magical fire within. Black roses are the motif here, and he's quite a fan of the bloodwine. His armor is made of scaled leather, which adds to the scent.

Technically, I would say always. The scents above the most commonly used and applied generally to enhance his 'normal' scent. A little more ozone, a little more wine.
Other scents are more situational based, like his bourbon and parchment when he's been busy pouring over documents, or writing music. Sometimes just a simple spice after a bath.

Talinvor had been gifted with lots and lots of various scents from women (no lie), so he would try to find ways to incorporate them. He gets leaned on and sniffed a lot - so it's been less about his enjoyment of the scents - and more for how others react to him.

He likes natural and simple smells that he can pick out. If it's too complicated a scent, it's too complicated a woman, HA!

Some scents are just unflattering, like tobacco.

Mostly, he uses it as a clue on someone's personality and/or a means to open a dialogue or entice a mood.

-Talinvor's player

-==Social Media Stuff==-

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/talinvor

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vorrith

http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com
Re: What's that smell? 03/16/2017 01:55 AM CDT
>* What smell(s) describes your character
Gav is somewhat musky - a little earthy/resinous, a little spicy. The amber and cloves scent from Mist Harbor's shop is what I use when I feel like throwing that on overtly. This is probably an undertone to the more overpowering odors of sweat, blood, and dirt if he's fresh from beating something or someone into the ground with his fists, of course.

>* Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
I like to think some of it is his natural scent, but he'll play it up a bit with deliberate application of aromatic assistance when he's in a mood for attention.

>* When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
>* Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?
Special occasions/when the mood strikes. I generally don't care enough to keep it up all the time. While he's not necessarily married to one particular cologne, there are few I've seen readily available that encompass what seems right to me, so I don't feel the need to switch it up. And he's not a dandy.

>* What odors does your character love?
>* What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible?
>* Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?
This will take some deeper thought, since while I myself tend to fixate on scents, I hadn't really explored that for Gavrien. Given his appreciation for the sensual, I expect he'd have some strong opinions. Thank you for pointing out this hole in his development. :D I can pinpoint a few quickly, at least:

Water (fresh water in particular) will have a positive association, being more precious in arid climates like the environs of New Ta'Faendryl, and because one of the few people on his short list of nearest and dearest is a water mage.

Similarly, certain clean and woodsy scents have grown on him due to being favored by his partner in crime.

Various spices remind him positively of his Shakat heritage and the relatively short time he's spent traveling among them in his meanderings.

The pervasive aroma of domesticated animals and their keeping likely has a lot of mixed feelings for him, including nostalgia, bitterness, anger, and perhaps a little bit of wistful longing for the simplicity of childhood, even a less than stellar one, due to spending his early decades as a working member of an Agrestis ranch.

Honeysuckle repulses him due to an association with a past lover.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: What's that smell? 03/16/2017 09:24 PM CDT

What Smell (s) describes your character.

Cordaleigh smells like the wild, either the deep rich scent of the woods, the soft warm smell of small animals, the sharp pungent scent of herbs,a suble hint of fresh flowers, the metallic scent of blood. It depends really, on where she has been and what she has been doing. Which would normally be something outside among nature. Occasionally she might smell like freshly cut wood and the ocean, if she has been spending a lot of time fletching in Solhaven.

>* Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?

It is just a product of her environment and chosen lifestyle.

>* When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
>* Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

Only on special occasions and typically the same or similar type perfume straying more towards warmth and spice than floral or fruity tones. Her currant favored is a gilded miasma of fragrance, with notes of pale golden musk, honeycomb, and amber foremost in attendance. Beneath run streams of parma violet and hawthorn bark, faintly sweet with a touch of bitter, over low-lying currents of white moss and wild berry.

What odors does your character love?

Sandlewood, wisteria,freshly baked bread, leather, horse sweat, laundry freshly taken off the line, freshly cut grass, hay, wood smoke, smell of the sun and wind in the hair of another.

Does s/he have reactions to certain odors - nostalgia, hives?

Heavy floral perfume or any other cloyingly sweet smell wrinkles her nose and will have her fingers reaching for her temples.

Trolls, orcs too but especially trolls, any kind of troll, the smell infuriates her to a point that nothing less than an arrow ridden troll will appease her anger. Then the dead troll smell which saddens her, not that she mourns the troll she killed. The things death never quite ending in the result she unknowingly expected.

Re: What's that smell? 03/18/2017 06:47 PM CDT
Derp. typos. Here's Naamit-

I haven't put perfume on Naamit deliberately in ages, but tried doing so recently. Last week I applied some 'burned flesh' perfume on her after an accident with a branding iron...but no one noticed. A few days earlier, Heartfire gave her some perfume and the smell was most fitting as she'd died and fertilized a bed of roses an hour prior. It struck me oddly at first, but the more I thought about the combination of scents really DID suit her: a somewhat acerbic odor of frankincense, vetiver, and black moss, with undertones of sweet myrrh. Heady and peevish. It's smell I'd have her wear all the time if the option were available, but I'm reluctant to waste it.

Yes and No:
* Naamit is very attracted to masculine, industrious odors. Heat. Leather. Iron. Musk. The smell metalwork and especially the fresh burn of pyrography.
* Rot disgusts her, but burned flesh greatly piques her interest.
* An overbearing odor of roses will get her seeing red. Drive her into a rage. A thick scent of most cultivated flowers would probably raise her hackles as she greatly despises delicate things.
* The static-electric smell that permeates the air just before a lightning strike is rather nostalgic- Reminds her of the scent of her second husband who had a thing for ticking off the wrong people.

This has been fun. Thanks for answering folks! I hope to see more of these come in.
Re: What's that smell? 03/19/2017 02:47 AM CDT
>>* What smell(s) describes your character

This one sort of depends on the timeline of Rowmi. Realistically he would smell like work. Sweat and dust and effort. Earlier (pre-game) Rowmi would be hay, livestock, and the light breeze that comes across a river and brushes across a flowering field. His scent of choice more closely mirrors the deep forest nowadays. He spends a lot of his free time climbing trees in the dense, unless he's dancing with elementals.

>>* Is it a deliberate-applied perfume or does the aroma linger naturally?
>>* When and how does your character use perfumes - always, only for special occasions?
>>* Does your character use specific scents in certain situations?

Both/all. His deliberate scent is the deep forest. What you might naturally whiff is his own blood, sweat, mud, and burnt flesh.
Or soap, as he scrubs himself liberally between practice.

>>* What odors does your character love?

Flowers. The lingering emotion of damp ground after a heavy rain. The aroma of wind-swept snow. Salt spray from the ocean. Grass. Lots of other things.

>>* What smells does s/he hate or find reprehensible?

I never really thought of this. Rowmi jokes that Crux smells like a fresh grave, but I never really felt it was reprehensible. Maybe the smell of wet iron reminds him of unhappy memories.

Fun prompt, thanks.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.